Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

our fate is in john boyle's hands now and we have to believe he'll come through as he did two seasons ago. if i was in charge of finding a new manager i'd find someone who has never been involved in scottish football, has decent contacts in other transfer markets and will be 100% commited to the job to get the best out of the players and will bring through young players.

I agree with most of your argument, but I have read this type of comment on the many threads extolling the virtues of various candidates, in most part to justify the posters particular favourite. However, while I agree that there is undoubtedly untapped resources out there, as MM found out, the best contacts in the world are no good if the players themselves do not see their future, or shop window for that matter in this country. Briefly watched the Cup Final recently and one of the de Boer brothers was a summariser, asked, if given what he had just witnessed first hand, would he sign for Rangers at this time - his answer an unequivocal 'NO'.

On this basis I feel the argument may be more compelling for thinking outside the box - yes appoint a foreigner, be it Luc or someone else, because it may just be that we might need something a little different tactically, but working with Scottish/English players. Personally I wouldn't be averse to the appointment of the 2 Jimmy's - Claderwood and Nicholl, but please leave the Airdrie w....r Clark where he belongs - on the scrapheap :whistling:

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this basis I feel the argument may be more compelling for thinking outside the box - yes appoint a foreigner, be it Luc or someone else, because it may just be that we might need something a little different tactically, but working with Scottish/English players. Personally I wouldn't be averse to the appointment of the 2 Jimmy's - Claderwood and Nicholl, but please leave the Airdrie w....r Clark where he belongs - on the scrapheap :whistling:

i'd just rather have someone from outside the scottish managerial mafia, if you hire the likes of mccall he probably won't be too bothered if he gets sacked because he'll be dunfermline or morton manager six months later. we should be inviting applications and then holding interviews and taking on whoever comes across as the most motivated and has the best plans for the future, that's how hibs got mowbray. (course we can't do this til mcghee decides where he's going).

it doesn't even have to be someone with a huge track record in coaching, just someone who is intelligent and motivated.

Today's Press & Journal

"Finally the wait is almost over and Aberdeen will attempt to secure the services of Mark McGhee as their new manager today.

Dons director of football Willie Miller and chairman Stewart Milne will hold talks with Motherwell owner John Boyle to finalise details of a £200,000 compensation package for McGhee and his assistant manager Scott Leitch.

If those talks are successful, the laboured and frustrating pursuit of a replacement for sacked manager Jimmy Calderwood, his assistant Jimmy Nicholl and reserve team manager Sandy Clark will have finally limped to its conclusion after more than two weeks, with the Gothenburg Great expected to make his Pittodrie bow tomorrow.

Boyle’s determination to strike a hard bargain is understandable.

Motherwell play their first Europa League qualifier on June 22 but the chairman has reacted angrily to reports he had offered the post to Partick Thistle manager Ian McCall."

I'll be very disappointed in Scott "Mr Motherwell" Leitch if goes to Aberdeen aswell. Boyle took him off the dole queue, offered him a job for life, and told the new manager he'd have to work with him. So where's the loyalty now? Not sure I want Leitch as manager to be fair, but staying on to ensure a bit of continuity would've/could've made all the difference.

I'd say we were now odds on to meet Aberdeen on the first game of the season now also!

Having Scott Leitch as a 'sitting tenant' in the assistant manager role may hinder our chances of getting a new manager though if part of the job offer includes an insistence that you work with Scott Leitch.....

I'll be very disappointed if he goes as well, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's as straightforward as him simply keeping his current role. If he's not assistant manager do we then put someone else out of a job to honour the 'job for life' promise?

I still dont think Leicthy will go there for family reasons!

I'm sure while he was the manager of Ross County his family stayed in Motherwell and he travelled back down on a Sat. night for a few days. Don't think the same senario could happen here as McGhee would also want to travel down to see his family and I can't see both of them being away at the same time.

I must admit at this point I'd LOVE him to go to Celtic. Although a McGhee fan I'm resigned he is away so this would be the best option. It would wind the Abedeen fans up BIG TIME and the Celtic support would feel underwhelmed by his appointment and probably not back him. Brilliant!!

I reckon he's hedging his bets, Sellik are stumbling over compensation for Mowbray and he probably reckons still got an outside shot at that job.

Only problem is that we have the potential of Aberdeen getting fed up waiting and Celtic not giving him the job and we find ourselves stuck with a guy who, for a lot of the fans, has burnt his bridges now and who, with the best will in the world, would not be coming to the job with the greatest enthusiasm...

I must admit at this point I'd LOVE him to go to Celtic. Although a McGhee fan I'm resigned he is away so this would be the best option. It would wind the Aberdeen fans up BIG TIME and the Celtic support would feel underwhelmed by his appointment and probably not back him. Brilliant!!

That's pretty much word-for-word what I was saying at work today. The Sheepies seem to be delighted that he's "coming home" and the Great Unwashed would baulk at him being appointed manager of the "great" Glasgow Cellik. Win-win as far as I'm concerned if both of them get fucked over.

Chris McCart has emerged as a strong contender for the post.

The Fir Park legend is in charge of youth development at Celtic.

But he would be a popular choice among fans after spending his whole playing career at Fir Park.

Didnae spend nearly 2 seasons with Falkirk then? Lazy journalism at it's best.

I'm pleased that Boyle seems to be sticking to his guns about the compensation. It's bad enough to lose your management team to a rival club but to lose them on the cheap to a rival club is not on.

That is good to hear although less encouraging to read in The Sun is the fact that it could be next week before anything is resolved. I know Aberdeen are probably counting on the fact that we are working within a short time frame and need things sorted and it might help them drive the price down. I don't envy Boyle in the hard balancing act he's having to manage between getting this sorted ASAP and making sure we don't get fleeced...

Scott Burns at the Daily Express is reporting that McGhee will be unvieled as the new Aberdeen boss today.

"Talks over compensation have been going on for six days but McGhee will rip up his Fir Park contract if a deal to satisfy all sides fails to be reached"

It's expected he'll move to take Klimpl to the Dons as well.