I Come In Peace !

FKASB

If we don't accept a realsitic fee for him now then he'll leave for a pittance next January or for nought in a year's time. Cardiff won't offer anything like £800k for him.
And if he scores the goals that get us to the group stage of the Europa, he will generate plenty of cash for the club too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet you boys are getting cheesed off with us coming to get your best players. We nearly signed Porter aswell. Good cash revenue for you tho. Is there some kind of link up with the 2 clubs ?

I think if you do sell then you should this time learn and put on a big selling on clause. I think that may work just as good as a transfer fee

I bet you boys are getting cheesed off with us coming to get your best players. We nearly signed Porter aswell. Good cash revenue for you tho. Is there some kind of link up with the 2 clubs ?

I think if you do sell then you should this time learn and put on a big selling on clause. I think that may work just as good as a transfer fee

We do that, we done it with McFadden and i think McDonald(correct me if am wrong) but i don't think we could with McCormack as he was out of contract , we only got a fee because of his age.

Again if i am wrong please correct me.

Would be gutted. After three non-descript seasons where most of us would have been happy to see any transfer talk for Clarky he has been sensational in the last two seasons. He isn't JUST the top goalscorer outside the Old Firm he is just a gem of a player. He will run all day long and has real passion for the club. He has just completed his EIGTH season in which he has played for the Motherwell SENIOR team. He is 23 :P

Remarkable. A legend. If he does go, and for a tidy sum I hope, he will be back in Claret and Amber in the future, no doubt about that.

Season 2015 (Will cars fly :whistling: ??) Motherwell's Strikers could be:

D. Clarkson (29) J. McFadden (31)

:P

Where is the 'jixxing all over the East Stand' emoticon???

Clarky he has been sensational in the last two seasons. He isn't JUST the top goalscorer outside the Old Firm he is just a gem of a player. He will run all day long and has real passion for the club. He has just completed his EIGTH season in which he has played for the Motherwell SENIOR team. He is 23

what he said. Could do with a bit of a polishing but 10/10 for effort. 10/10 for playing for the team. 8/10 for finishing 7/10 for first touch.

On his day I think he is better than maccormick

IMO NO WAY is Clarkson the player McCormack is. I could see Clarky doing a turn for a team in the Championship......but being a clear standout in the entire LEAGUE, scoring 23 goals in his first season, then looking like getting a muti million pound transfer to the EPL? Nah! I just don't think he is THAT good.

Much like the significance held by the Rooks that live in The Tower Of London, should David Clarkson wear the colours of another club side, plague shall beset the country, and fire shall rain forth from the heavens.

True story by the way.

That's how I feel about it. I worry that if Clarky doesn't sign a new deal by October with whoever the new manager is, we'll have to sell him in January of risk losing him for nothing in the summer!!

That said, I would rather we had kept Porter the rest of this season and lost him for nothing in the summer. (Although I'm not the man balancing the books!)

It fucking disgusting that Fletcher is being touted for £3m+ and we're talking about £500K for Clarkson. See what it does to have the media behind you

Totallty agree with that as well.

Much like the significance held by the Rooks that live in The Tower Of London, should David Clarkson wear the colours of another club side, plague shall beset the country, and fire shall rain forth from the heavens.

True story by the way.

:lol::lol::lol:

On a serious note, should the club be considering any bid for Clarkson, they might wish to do the following sums. Take what we'd be getting for Clarkson, is it more or less than relegation would cost us? I'm not suggesting Clarkson is a world beater, but as of right now you'd have to say he's the best/only creative outlet we have in the squad. Take into account the cost of replacing him with a player who will pretty much guarantee you ten goals in the SPL, who will run all day, who will defend from the front and who will bust a gut to track back (should such a player even exist on our budget), I think it'd be lunacy to sell him at the moment...

Ok, as much as I agree on Clarksons running/fighting ability and yes, he is a team player, I can not imagine he will manage the Championship. His technical abilities are way beyond standard.

As most people know, I dont really rate him, but I have to admit he scored his goals this season, however I am sure that any other striker in the same position would have scored the same amount of goals. Problem is/will be that we dont have any other strikers who can play Clarksons role.

As for the money: If its more than 300k I would def let him go, or I would ask him to sign a new contract. FRom a business point of view, JB would have to decide: money or player and if its player, then only with a new contract. Motherwell cant afford to give a player away for free.

I genuinely believe that Clarky wouldn't want to do the 'dirty' on the club by walking out for free.

If he was ever to leave, I reckon he'd happily sign a new deal at some point before hand just to ensure that we got a fee for him. Not that he ever will leave. I believe it is now law that he must play for us.

I also think we could say the same about Reynolds. When he signed his new deal in 2007/08 season, he said that he is more than happy to sign up with us, even though the Portsmouth et al stories were about at the time, as it meant that we could command a reasonable fee for him.

Yeah, pretty sure Faddy did.

True story by the way.

:evilgrin:

Ok, as much as I agree on Clarksons running/fighting ability and yes, he is a team player, I can not imagine he will manage the Championship. His technical abilities are way beyond standard.
I don't get this belief that the Championship is somehow this league full of players much better than the SPL. Seriously, I watched Ipswich and Swindon regularly play in it over a period of 10 years or so, and while there are undoubtedly good teams in from time to time, there are plenty of average teams in it too.

In particular, the defences are generally poor. It's one of the reasons the clubs that get promoted to the EPL struggle. Clarky would have a field day against teams like Swansea, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Blackpool, Coventry City, Watford, Norwich etc.

I don't get this belief that the Championship is somehow this league full of players much better than the SPL. Seriously, I watched Ipswich and Swindon regularly play in it over a period of 10 years or so, and while there are undoubtedly good teams in from time to time, there are plenty of average teams in it too.

In particular, the defences are generally poor. It's one of the reasons the clubs that get promoted to the EPL struggle. Clarky would have a field day against teams like Swansea, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Blackpool, Coventry City, Watford, Norwich etc.

Evidence of this fact is the goals McCormack has scored. For Motherwell 36 SPL games - 10 goals. For Cardiff 32 Championship games - 21 goals. A player who was good in the SPL is a standout down there.

I've said it more than once. Just because the Championship has huge amounts of money these days does not automatically make the quality of football soar. The main effect of the extra money is on the asking prices and wages of average, second tier English footballers.

Don't get me wrong, there is quality in the league, but only really among the top few sides. After his loan spell at Blackpool, teams down there are lining up to offer money for Charlie Adam FFS.

Based on their performances at Fir Park I'd say Clarkson is a better goal scorer than McCormack but then look at how many goals McCormack scored at Cardiff.

Clarkson is more team orientated, a more consistent performer and a harder worker. McCormack has better pace and is better on the ball and has better techincal skill.

I would be very reluctant to sell Clarkson for anything less than £750,000. He's the best player at our club and one of the better players in the league, an international, and is experienced but is still young to learn and develop.

I think selling him 'on the cheap' simply to get some money for him would be a big mistake. We've already saw what happened when McCormack went. He was the player that provided our offensive spark, that got the rest of the team playing and when he went we lost something, especially when Clarkson missed a string of games mid season - surprise, surprise that was when we went on our run of bad form. If Clarkson, who took on that role this season, was also to go we'd have virtually no punch up front or creativity and without goals we'd be struggling along side Kilmarnock, St.Mirren, Falkirk etc.

The difference between them and us is really only that we've had goalscorers over the past few seasons McFadden, McDonald, McCormack, Porter, Clarkson, even Sutton to an extent, if we keep selling them will come a time when the goals dry up and then we will be in trouble.

Clarkson will score 10-15 goals next season for us, contribute more than a few assists and generally cause a lot of problems for the opposition. Selling him for less than £750,000 might well be a false economy if we finish well down the league, get knocked out of Europe, do nothing in the cups etc.

Unless someone is prepared to stump up a realistic fee then keeping him for another season is probably going to be worth more to the club than selling him for some measly amount.

On a serious note, should the club be considering any bid for Clarkson, they might wish to do the following sums. Take what we'd be getting for Clarkson, is it more or less than relegation would cost us? I'm not suggesting Clarkson is a world beater, but as of right now you'd have to say he's the best/only creative outlet we have in the squad. Take into account the cost of replacing him with a player who will pretty much guarantee you ten goals in the SPL, who will run all day, who will defend from the front and who will bust a gut to track back (should such a player even exist on our budget), I think it'd be lunacy to sell him at the moment...

Absolutely.

i agree with everything ya beezer says but i'd add that selling our best player is hardly likely to entice any ambitous managers to fir park. the only way i'd sell him is if a big offer came in, £1m plus, and all the money could be used to for a new manager to bring in 3 or 4 good players.

for me the ideal scenario is that clarky plays one more season for us bangs in 20 goals gets us back into europe again and then leaves to get paid a fortune down south. it'd probably be in his best interest as well, especially if you look at mcfadden who probably left too early and has had a very mediocre club career and compare him to mcdonald who waited (or was forced to wait) longer and is benefiting from it now.

i also expect jamie murphy to move up a level next season, he's a good finisher and if he is given a chance through the middle i could see him hitting double figures.

I think we should stop being a feeder team to anybody who has 5 quid more than us... maybe its the time we were stubborn for a couple of years and built on succesful teams weeding out the shite! Its frustrating watching our best players and managers getting snatched away from us, Celtic even stole our youth development chief! Motherwell has been bullied for far too long and it all came from the mediocre sale of Faddy, 1.25mill for him and 4mill for Fletch! McFadden is an international god to most Scotland fans and that is what Fletcher will never be! :nod: