Latest Rumour

Alfaman

That is true actually. We have had a lot of exposure recently and it would seem we are, in the eyes of outsiders, a 'bigger' club than we were a few years ago.

I am shocked at the names mentioned to be honest. When you consider Hibs got John Hughes and Falkirk are getting Eddie May!! Both similar or bigger clubs than ourselves!

What is noticeable is not just who Hibs and Falkirk got, but the names they were linked with compared to some of the names we are being linked with. Is it possible that having McGhee as manager has raised our profile? Boyle also surprised us all with McGhee's appointment so maybe he's looking to do it again with a well known name like Staunton (or someone not even mentioned).

Bookies not taking bets on Staunton just means there's been a bit of money put on him and they're covering themselves.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Don Goodman and Shaun Teale as the new management team?

Just mentioned these two as it really shows how much tripe is posted on rumours about our possible new manager.

It would be nice to hear some news from the club on when they hope to make an approach to someone and maybe the type of person they are looking for

If anybody can get a bet on anyone being the next Motherwell manager then let me know, no bookies are running a market at the moment.

Yeah, I'd highly doubt any bookies has odds running for our next boss at all.

That's why you wont get money on Staunton.

When Davies was sacked my Dad was told to put money on the Black/Butcher team taking over. He went into every bookies in Motherwell to try and put £50 on it and not one of them were taking the bets. Nothing to do with this really, but there you go.

Yeah, I'd highly doubt any bookies has odds running for our next boss at all.

That's why you wont get money on Staunton.

When Davies was sacked my Dad was told to put money on the Black/Butcher team taking over. He went into every bookies in Motherwell to try and put £50 on it and not one of them were taking the bets. Nothing to do with this really, but there you go.

you can bet on anything. if they don't have odds they just phone up the head office and get some. the only reason a bookie won't take your money is if they think there is insider info going about.

From the posts I read, he does seem to come across as having a problem with Irish people in particular, perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but just my take on it. Any thread that there happens to be a mention of Celtic/Ireland/Immigrants, there is a dig about them being tattie howkers or something similar.

From the posts I read, he does seem to come across as having a problem with Irish people in particular, perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but just my take on it. Any thread that there happens to be a mention of Celtic/Ireland/Immigrants, there is a dig about them being tattie howkers or something similar.

My great-grandfather was an Irish immigrant to Scotland. However, he chose to fight and die for this country rather than wave a tri-colour in the air and sing praises of sectarian feats of violence and bloody murder.

Now Neil, I'm sure you get my drift or do I need to explain further for you ? :doh:

I'd be surprised if Staunton was our new manager. Surpised but not stunned or gobsmacked. McGhee's name came out of nowhere last time as did those of Alex McLeish and Harri Kampman. And those worked out OK :doh: .

I've been saying for a few days now that I expected an appointment out of leftfield. Ignoring his record for the Republic of Ireland (expectations have been a bit high post-Charlton in that country), appointing someone who's never been a club manager would certainly be out of leftfield. Might stop people questioning Nijholt's level of experience... :doh:

What about the Nolans :doh:

While it might not be Staunton himself, he is the type of appointment that wouldn't surprise me. Out of work, but with some decent experience at manager and assistant manager level would be an ideal target for us I imagine. European experience is a bonus too.

Steve Staunton would certainly be an interesting appointment for us. He has experience of management, which is what we desperately need, and he also would no doubt have 'contacts' which could help us recruit players. He is a well kent person in football from his time with Liverpool and Rep of Ireland etc.

I just hope that whoever gets the job, gets it soon.

Steve Staunton would certainly be an interesting appointment for us. He has experience of management

However, his experience is mostly of the "being crap at it" variety. The only reason people here don't hate him for Ireland's shocking displays when he was in charge is that they all thought he was a terrible appointment in the first place, for which they lay the blame squarely at the FAI's door...

It was a strange set up with the Republic of Ireland though wasn't it? Bobby Robson was involved in some kind of management role aswell, supposedly as a kind of 'mentor' to Staunton but it was never known how much of a say he actually had in things.

However, his experience is mostly of the "being crap at it" variety.
True, but most of the managers we gave a start to were crap, and they improved after they left. Maybe Stan has improved since his stint with Ireland (and working with Gary Mac at Leeds).

I don't think that's fair, mate. If you're implying big special is bigoted, that isn't the impression I get. I'm sure he'd accept anyone who could do a good job.

I'm not sure what should offend him more - being called a bigot or being called 'big special'. For some reason I'm now picturing his house as having red, white and blue crayon all over the walls...