Jim Gannon

decorator

I want to know why we chose an ex-league 2 manager over 2 ex-prmier league managers and 2 ex-international managers. Pretty stupid decision if u ask me

We need a manager that fits the requirement of the post.

Someone who is regarded as a success in terms of achievement and playing style in harsh financial conditions vs people looking for a transfer / footballing budget we can provide.

I don't think there's another decision that could have been made.

I wish Jimbo all the best.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

proud Irishman who was born in London.

Perhaps parochialism is not just confined to Scotland afterall??

Ha ha tell me about it, you get grief from both the Irish and the English! :wacko:

Certainly Jim is miles ahead of his fellow "Irishmen" Staunton (I still have nightmares recalling some of his international games) and Sanchez (quite average lower league manager). No one should be shedding any tears for those two.

Adie Boothroyd would have been a close call though, acheived very good things in his first stint as manager. Watford were not an attractive side to watch though and he appeared to struggle when trying to change their style of play at the end. I just happen to feel our current squad of players are perhaps more suited to playing the Gannon way than the Boothroyd way.

Paul Ince is an ex-premiership manager. Would you want him? I'd rather have a good up-and-coming manager with a bit of lower league experience in England (relative to the size of club and standard of football he'll get at Fir Park) than have someone who got a couple of jobs in coaching/management because he was a good player and made a total mess of them. The fact that Staunton even got an interview should have been keeping us all awake at night.

Let's get behind the new man - he seems like a good guy and I like the cut of his gib.

We need a manager who has a track record of working on a shoestring. An ex Premeirship manager may view a shoestring as being only ably to spend a maximum of £5m on a player - not our definition.

Look at Walter Smith - give him a bigger budget than his rivals and he'll win you trophies. Make it a level financial playing field and he struggles.

I'd love to see top managers like Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger take charge of smaller clubs with real shoestring budgets and see if they'd swim or sink.

Premiership management is a world away from managing in the SPL or indeed almost anywhere else on the planet. Its not a good yardstick to use.

ferguson at aberdeen mourinho at porto were not exactly big spenders

Adie Boothroyd would have been a close call though

Boothroyd was one of the four interviewed, was he ? Who were the others ?

Edit - Actually you mention Staunton and Gannon there, so I assume it was them. Gannon beaat off three bigger names and must have been very impressive.

Boothroyd was one of the four interviewed, was he ? Who were the others ?

Edit - Actually you mention Staunton and Gannon there, so I assume it was them. Gannon beaat off three bigger names and must have been very impressive.

Boothroyd, Gannon, Steve Staunton and Laurie Sanchez.

Boothroyd, Gannon, Steve Staunton and Laurie Sanchez.

Thanks for confirming that. It's good Motherwell attracted four fairly big names, and of those my initial thought would have been to make Boothroyd strong favourite, so Gannon must have really impressed the panel. When he left Stockport fans on the regional news were saying he's the best manager they had ever had. I recall a letter in the Manchester Evening News written by a fan in his eighties who said Gannon was the best he had seen there! Exciting appointment and hopefully he will live up to expectations.

surely that story regarding the dodgy sky box and his refusal to do interviews is a wind up i thought that part of a tv deal was a requirement for managers to do interviews at least it is in the champions league

surely that story regarding the dodgy sky box and his refusal to do interviews is a wind up i thought that part of a tv deal was a requirement for managers to do interviews at least it is in the champions league

Is it not just a requirement for the club to send a representative to to the interview rather than the manager himself.

This exactly why Man Utd used to send Queiroz to BBC Interviews rather than SAF, due to his refusal to do BBC interviews anymore.

Is it not just a requirement for the club to send a representative to to the interview rather than the manager himself.

This exactly why Man Utd used to send Queiroz to BBC Interviews rather than SAF, due to his refusal to do BBC interviews anymore.

I forgot about fergie

From that Hibs board...

Gannon was interviewed twice for the hibs job and it ended up between him and Hughes. On this occasion Hibs got it wrong and Motherwell got it right.

I would imagine that Gannon will take over from Hughes in 18 months time or sooner.

I find it funny how some are doubting Hughes can do a decent job and are already lining up his successor! ;)

From that Hibs board...

I find it funny how some are doubting Hughes can do a decent job and are already lining up his successor! ;)

And it's a very arrogant attitude to think that in a couple of years time they will just step in for Gannon. If he does a good job at 'Well, he will be looking for a bigger club than Hibs.

These Hibs guys are so up themselves its unreal! They're starting to annoy me just reading that thread, here's one posters response to someone asking what our finances were like...

They're in no bad nick, mostly down to "cheating" and going into administration to wipe out crippling debt.

;)

Paul Ince is an ex-premiership manager. Would you want him? I'd rather have a good up-and-coming manager with a bit of lower league experience in England (relative to the size of club and standard of football he'll get at Fir Park) than have someone who got a couple of jobs in coaching/management because he was a good player and made a total mess of them. The fact that Staunton even got an interview should have been keeping us all awake at night.

Let's get behind the new man - he seems like a good guy and I like the cut of his gib.

Wouldn't touch Staunton with a bargepole but Paul Ince got the Blackburn job because he did a half decent job for Macclesfield and MK Dons. Think you being a bit harsh on him, he took Macclesfield from 7 points adrift at bottom of table to safety and then took MK Dons to a promotion and a diddy cup win.

Ah, that old story... just 'cos something appears in newspapers doesn't mean it's true (one journo runs a story, others pick up on it, suddenly it's true)

It's true that he had problems with his Sky bill, and it's true that around January '08 he started refusing to speak to them, but it was more down to his perception of them having a negative effect on football. But the bill didn't exactly endear the Sky organisation to him either. 2+2 = 4.5 if you will.

It's not just Sky, though, on several occasions he wouldn't speak to any media at all - not even County's own website... although that was more because the club was in a bad situation and he didn't trust himself to avoid saying anything controversial. It's a recurring theme on my posts about him, but you'll find he really does speak his mind.