Motherwell Vs Llanelli

nethertonwellfan

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one stood up and took the game by the balls. Fair enough it was mostly young guys but a good few experienced guys were out there, Lasley, Craigan, Hammell, Sutton for example. Fucking disgrace, i think this lot were the worst team i've EVER seen, and tbh i think they are at a similar level to a top junior team...not to be disrespectful, they had a plan and stuck to it, so fair play to them. If we don't go through i would get shot of a few and give young guys like Slane a chance because c***s like Hammell and Sutton really didn't give a fuck today.

I'm loving your enthusiams guys and i PRAY you are right but they will put 11 guys behind the ball and as evidenced tonight time waste like hell. We will have the EXACT same team. I really can't see it.

If your not positive then whats the point of following them down to Wales. Aye losing that game hurt like hell tonight but next Thursdays a different night, a different game. Just need to show we're not going to be the laughing stock of Britain never mind Scotland.

No one stood up and took the game by the balls. Fair enough it was mostly young guys but a good few experienced guys were out there, Lasley, Craigan, Hammell, Sutton for example. Fucking disgrace, i think this lot were the worst team i've EVER seen, and tbh i think they are at a similar level to a top junior team...not to be disrespectful, they had a plan and stuck to it, so fair play to them. If we don't go through i would get shot of a few and give young guys like Slane a chance because c***s like Hammell and Sutton really didn't give a fuck today.

A can't really argue wi that but we will still be in Albania in a fortnight!!!

Team for next Thursday.

Fraser

Saunders Reynolds Craigan Hammell

Smith Lasley Fitzpatrick O'Brien

Sutton McGarry

That team at least looks half experienced, they might not play with the most flair but i think we would stand a far better chance of going through with that team on the park than hungry but rough youngsters. If its not working you then have Slane and Murphy to call on to try and make an impact. O'Brien is capable of giving the defenders a torrid time so i may be tempted to play him up front instead of McGarry and re-jig the midfield. Will Jennings be available for next week?

God no, gav.

I'd have this first (if Jennings not available and if we are going to start with a 4-2-3-1);

Fraser

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Forbes Lasley

O'Brien Fitzpatrick Slane

McHugh

I don't see why we should waste jerseys on McGarry or Sutton. There is still enough experience in that team. In a previous post I said I'd bring McHugh on for Sutton in we were in a two goal lead. I was shot down. Now I'd say I'd give McHugh the full game.

EDIT: Anyone else notice Yogi Hughes up the back of the West Stand tonight? Fair play to him getting some early homework in.

Team for next Thursday.

Fraser

Saunders Reynolds Craigan Hammell

Smith Lasley Fitzpatrick O'Brien

Sutton McGarry

That team at least looks half experienced, they might not play with the most flair but i think we would stand a far better chance of going through with that team on the park than hungry but rough youngsters. If its not working you then have Slane and Murphy to call on to try and make an impact. O'Brien is capable of giving the defenders a torrid time so i may be tempted to play him up front instead of McGarry and re-jig the midfield. Will Jennings be available for next week?

Jennings isn't available no. That team but replace McGarry with Slane. McGarry is pish!!!

God no, gav.

I'd have this first (if Jennings not available and if we are going to start with a 4-2-3-1);

Fraser

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

Forbes Lasley

O'Brien Fitzpatrick Slane

McHugh

I don't see why we should waste jerseys on McGarry or Sutton. There is still enough experience in that team. In a previous post I said I'd bring McHugh on for Sutton in we were in a two goal lead. I was shot down. Now I'd say I'd give McHugh the full game.

EDIT: Anyone else notice Yogi Hughes up the back of the West Stand tonight? Fair play to him getting some early homework in.

Good shout! i wouldn't have chosen that team myself but looking at it we wil do enough to go through wi that team providing Lasley is fit. He looked really bad at half time.

Jennings isn't available no. That team but replace McGarry with Slane. McGarry is pish!!!

I actually had Slane in, the boy is a wee dickhead but a good player. Id still be tempted to go with McGarry just for experiences sake, i dont buy into the idea of playing youngsters in a game like this id much rather go with experince when trying to break down an 11 man defence. I would however be tempted to make changes early on if it was clear somebody like McGarry just wasn't at the races. Im not trying to defend McGarrys performance tonight, he was absolutely garbage but i do think he has something to offer if played up front in his natural position. Sutton looked like an absolute carthorse tonight but give him a good chance and he'll usually strike it cleanly and it ends up in the back of the net most of the time. I just cant see two youngsters having the same presence up front despite Suttons poor display tonight.

I actually had Slane in, the boy is a wee dickhead but a good player. Id still be tempted to go with McGarry just for experiences sake, i dont buy into the idea of playing youngsters in a game like this id much rather go with experince when trying to break down an 11 man defence. I would however be tempted to make changes early on if it was clear somebody like McGarry just wasn't at the races. Im not trying to defend McGarrys performance tonight, he was absolutely garbage but i do think he has something to offer if played up front in his natural position. Sutton looked like an absolute carthorse tonight but give him a good chance and he'll usually strike it cleanly and it ends up in the back of the net most of the time. I just cant see two youngsters having the same presence up front despite Suttons poor display tonight.

I agree but no McGarry, IMO he should never wear the C&A again he doesn't deserve the honour. I can't remember the last good game he had!! Slane all the way for me!!! Apart from that wee diffference of opinion your spot on!

I mostly agree with you Gav.

I'm loving your enthusiams guys and i PRAY you are right but they will put 11 guys behind the ball and as evidenced tonight time waste like hell. We will have the EXACT same team. I really can't see it.

Thats my great fear Finlay. If they do play like that the best we can hope for is a 0-0 draw. That said, if they had played the same way against our side of last season the outcome would be exactly the same. Our one hope is that being at home they'll try to open the game up and allow us to outplay them. Over the past few years big physical sides like this have caused us no end of problems. I sincerely hope JG brings in some height and muscle to squad.

After having the night to mull over the game last night, it is just completely unacceptable with no positives to come from it. It like San Marino beating Scotland at Hampden, Andorra beating England at Wembley etc... In all seriousness, local amatuer teams like Finnart, Dalziel and Swinton would murder Llanelli, with Llanelli's players really struggling to get anywhere near these teams starting 11, that was a pub team and I've sen better pub teams than that. The Welsh league is dire with beer guts, hatchet men and limited ability the order of the day. Last night has no positives whatsoever because it is simply the worst result in our history and maybe the history of Scottish football. Motherwell have to take a really good look at themselves, if they can't even get a draw against Llanelli at "home" then we WILL go down unless urgent and extensive surgery is carried out at the Club

I don't think there's any doubt that they'll line up with 11 men behind the ball and time waste like they did last night. The best thing we can do is come flying out the traps and put them under pressure from the kick off, not give them time to settle. If we can do that and grab an early goal then the tie is wide open again.

As for last night, I'm still trying to convince myself it was all a bad dream. Too many players still on holiday but good to see the young lads getting a shout. Slane in particular made a huge impact when he came on and I thought Murphy played much better after half time when he was moved into the middle. Am I the only person on here who thought McGarry wasn't that bad? The boy is by no way a creative midfielder but I thought he was alright with the ball at his feet, just didn't do much with it (which wasn't always his fault).

There just wasn't enough movement last night (coupled with unfitness) and you could see that the team wasn't used to playing together as nobody seemed to have a clue where each other were. Hopefully with another week's training under their belt and a bit more of an idea what they're all meant to do we can give it a much better shot in the second leg.

My first impression of my squad came on Saturday (against Rhyl) and they were poor, with poor athleticism and poor quality on the ball and little penetration and not enough stature in the team..... The younger lads were the best players on the pitch, maybe some may say I am ageist but I have always had a belief in young players,” he continued... I am not going to come out with excuses, I look across that pitch and I am optimistic about some of the players I see. Everybody is talking about players who need to come in to supplement the squad but there are players out there who will have to be replaced. That is my task as manager of this club. Jim Gannon

I'm not too down about last night. I thought we played the way we did for a lot of last season - lots of nice possession but no killer pass or cross to score goals. This was the case even with Hughes, Clarkson and Quinn.

It's very early in the season and JG has just arrived. But IMHO it sounds like he's already sussed out the weaknesses of the current squad. I believe by the start of the real season, we will have a couple of 6ft 3+ defenders, wide players with pace and crossing ability and a MacDonaldesque goal poacher. Slane and Forbes look as though they could be useful squad players. Lasley, Hammell and Sutton are three senior players that either sharpen up or go seek contracts with Partick Thistle.

After having the night to mull over the game last night, it is just completely unacceptable with no positives to come from it. It like San Marino beating Scotland at Hampden, Andorra beating England at Wembley etc... In all seriousness, local amatuer teams like Finnart, Dalziel and Swinton would murder Llanelli, with Llanelli's players really struggling to get anywhere near these teams starting 11, that was a pub team and I've sen better pub teams than that. The Welsh league is dire with beer guts, hatchet men and limited ability the order of the day. Last night has no positives whatsoever because it is simply the worst result in our history and maybe the history of Scottish football. Motherwell have to take a really good look at themselves, if they can't even get a draw against Llanelli at "home" then we WILL go down unless urgent and extensive surgery is carried out at the Club

Settle petal! :P

It's a bit early for panic stations yet. You're perfectly correct that it was an unacceptable performance last night but I don't think we're in quite as bad a situation as you make out. Plenty of other teams have screwed up against poor opposition but there's still time to bounce back. Remember that although it was an important game last night, it was still essentially a pre-season game for some of our guys. Still, we should have won, I'm not disagreeing with that but there is still the second leg and the manager now has a week to work with the players and make sure we don't get a repeat of last night. Last night we were essentially looking for the players to take charge and produce a win off their own backs as 3-4 days is no time for the manager to get to know his players and decide his best team. Next week he'll have another week under his belt and hopefully have more of an idea what he wants from everyone.

Europa League aside, I see why you're panicking but Gannon has already shown he can move quickly in the transfer market and we do have another 7 or 8 weeks of the transfer window to strengthen the squad. I'd much rather be in our position than that of Falkirk, Killie or Hamilton right now.