Exclusive: Player #3

Guest 'Flow

Ya beezer. Barring a few exceptions over the years we are a team of league 2 players!! People need to get over this. League 1 and 2 players earn what SPL players do, play in front of the same size of crowds in similar or better stadiums!

You think McGarry could walk into the Leeds or Southampton team and play in front of 25K + each week. What about Fitzy? Hammell proved he couldn't and Clarkson, OUR best player and International up here is harbouring doubts if he can.

ALOT of very good players down there, many don't make it to the Champ/Prem simply due to the sheer number of quality players down in such a big country.

First of all Hammell was successful in the Championship, Southend didn't want to lose him, and Clarkson hasn't kicked a ball yet.

The point is we have sold or lost under freedom of contract the backbone of our team to top half Championship level teams and are recruiting from bottom half League 1 and in some instances League 2 sides. Generally, that is a big gap in quality, like comparing St. Johnstone with Berwick Rangers.

And with all due respect to McGarry and Fitzpatrick we didn't build a side around them, they were fringe players who could come in and do a job. Are we building a side around Coke, Humphreys etc? Are those players going to be the spine?

I don't doubt there are good players to be had down there and bringing up one or two would be worth the gamble to see if it worked out but it looks like 6 or 7 in the line up next season.

That to me is a bit of a risk because for all the flak the SPL gets it is light years ahead of League 2 and at least half the clubs if not more would be among the better sides in League 1.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong because I don't have a job right now and I've put even more, comparatively speaking, into the club this summer than I usually do and I really don't want to see that investment go Malpasesque.

I guess we'll see what happens but right now I have concerns.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me like a good deal. I still have reservations though as to him being our player. if there is a e mail from the players agent as his representative then we may have trouble confirming he is our player. Our legal guys need to get on to Northampton and see what they have.

If he is our player then yet again we are adding to the team and getting a bit ogf depth. he appears to get good write ups and he can't go wrong if he is big and athletic as said in the fishel site. With a statement that we could see another 8 players come in then this is surely positive. I would keep Fitzy DLS and mcgarry, at least until January. They compared to soem are our experienced players and could see them do a job. Particularly when we are changing our shape.

4 loan players though. If JG intention is as he stated earlier to get to Jan and see how the youngsters get on then surely we should play them. What positions will the loans be...? Will we see forbes, page, Archdeacon, McHugh, Hutchison, Slane etc. who knows all I know is this is brilliant. :):wacko:

Oh and welcome to fir park Mr Coke.

I reckon Gannon meant 8 in total not another eight although I'd b delighted if another eight are to follow though!

I think you're right. Another 8 would give us 25 first team squad (not including Saunders/Slane/Page). Not affordable I would have thought unless there are a few to make way.

got to agree with ya beezer, we're going down a dodgy road here and while it might work out there's a good chance it won't. i'm willing to give all the guys a chance but i'll be worried if the transfer window closes and we've not brought in two or three players who we can be confident are spl standard. in an average summer i'd welcome this type of signing but right now with the squad being so weak we need to bring in quality, in my opinion we've only got 5 players who are definitely good enough at the moment and the rest either are unproven or have shown themselves to be only useful as bit part players. i'm a bit worried that gannon could turn out to be our paul le guen, who comes in totally underestimates the league and we'll be stuck with a load of players not up to scratch.

from what i seen of league one and two last season a lot of it is very, very poor and kick and rush. bradford made us look like barcelona in the preseason friendly we played and i watched shrewsbury town in the playoffs and they were brutal. if gannon thinks that buiding a side equivalent to the one he had at stockport will be enough then we're in for a tough season.

Have faith in JG and it is good to get some new players in . Just have to hope that he has not underestimated the SPL like Harri Kampmann did.

I would think that if you took the best player for each position in Scottish Division 1 and made a team out of them you would have a half decent side. Hope JG is picking the best from the lower divisions in England.

JG seems to like working with players he sees as 'coachable' - which explains his young signings so far. However, in one of his interviews I read, he was also talking about the need to bring in one or two more experienced players. So hopefully that will equate to a couple of more familiar faces.

While I agree the League 2 and a number of League1 players may not be SPL standard, there is a substantially larger pool down south, and there must be some bargains to be had. The fact that he has been tracking some of these players over a number of years gives me more confidence.

I'm not overly worried yet. In fact, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Gannon's new squad shapes up and performs come August.

This is a good thread and debate on the quality of players being brought in.

I share some of the concerns as these players are pretty much unheard of and coming from lower league sides are obviously a gamble.

But there are a few things I am fairly certain on:

Gannon appears too streetwise and astute to misjudge the level and quality of the league of the team he has just become manager of.

The wage bill under McGhoo had crept up to around 75% of turnover and Boyle knows that is unsustainable - so is trying to bring it back under control.

Therefore Gannon is signing players he obviously rates and are affordable within the budget he has been given.

All these players seem to come with the tag - 'promising but unfinished article' - yet we know Gannon is confident he can take raw players and improve them.

Finally - I am sure some will not work out and some will be excellent players for us and maybe even bring in some money in transfer fees in time. That is the nature of football transfers.

I'm not overly worried yet. In fact, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Gannon's new squad shapes up and performs come August.

i wouldn't say i'm overly worried but i'm a bit anxious. i'm willing to wait right up until the transfer window closes but i feel we definitely need two or three quality signings this window to remain competitive in the league. boyle opened the purse strings for mcghee when he came to the club and i believe he would do the same for gannon so hopefully he won't be shy in asking. if you do the sums the money must be there. the money for porter, mcghee, clarkson, quinn and the european prize money comes to nearly two million pounds.

if we had signed any or all of these players last summer i'd have been delighted but right now is a different situation entirely. there's a bit of a feel good factor right now because of the new boss and the europa games but we've still got a long way to go before i'd say we're anywhere near the required standard.

Reckon that's all we can afford, besides most League-1 clubs would give us a good run for our money imho

i disagree. millwall got to the play off final and they were rank. teams like swindon, exter and carlise are piss poor.

wolves romped the championship last season but apart from ebanks-blake, keogh and kightly i didn't see much difference between us and them in the friendly we played. there wasn't much of a difference between us and preston either and they made the play offs. imo the 'well team that finished third would be competing around the play offs in the championship and last season probably fighting relegation.