Exclusive: Player #3

Guest 'Flow

Dundee Utd signed Morgaro Gomis from COWDENBEATH and he has become one of the best midfielders in Scotland. Its about the player,not the club he played for!

All 3 of these guys are described as very talented,and among the most promising players outside the Top divisions in England so its not JUST any Northampton/Shrews player,its their best players. Plus Gannon knows and has tracked these guys before,he also is the kinda guy who will be up to speed on the SPL as he seems like the bookworm/analytical kind of person.

We dont know a lot about them and what Gannons ideas of SPL starting line up is so till then we are just gonna have to sit tight and see

Hallelujah! Someone who agrees with me :P

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Phil was injured for most iof his time at Wednesday he played when he was fit. They even gave him a new contract even though he hardly played in his first 2 year. BTW my best mate at Uni was a Wednesday fan and as a protest in one of the seasons they voted uncle phil the fans' player of the year even though he played once :P

True story.

I don't doubt it. My point was that comparing players' performance at the OF and League 1 prior to coming to Fir Park is pretty pointless. Rosco was regarded as 'not good enough' for Rangers, but I bet they wished they had him now. I thought Phil was a fine player, but would never compare him to Hughes as they were two different animals. It would be like trying to compare Ally Mauchlen with Gary Mac before they went to Leicester.

I liked Hughes, and think he (and the team) suffered when we lost Porter and Rosco. I think he also suffered the most on our appalling playing surface last season. My impression was that he would have fitted in well in JG's new system, but I wouldn't have been offering him 7 grand a week! So, thanks Shug, and best of luck.

I don't doubt it. My point was that comparing players' performance at the OF and League 1 prior to coming to Fir Park is pretty pointless. Rosco was regarded as 'not good enough' for Rangers, but I bet they wished they had him now. I thought Phil was a fine player, but would never compare him to Hughes as they were two different animals. It would be like trying to compare Ally Mauchlen with Gary Mac before they went to Leicester.

I liked Hughes, and think he (and the team) suffered when we lost Porter and Rosco. I think he also suffered the most on our appalling playing surface last season. My impression was that he would have fitted in well in JG's new system, but I wouldn't have been offering him 7 grand a week! So, thanks Shug, and best of luck.

A didnae start it :P

Dundee Utd signed Morgaro Gomis from COWDENBEATH and he has become one of the best midfielders in Scotland. Its about the player,not the club he played for!

All 3 of these guys are described as very talented,and among the most promising players outside the Top divisions in England so its not JUST any Northampton/Shrews player,its their best players.

aye but when united signed gomis they had a strong squad and even then he took a while to settle in and develop. they weren't depending on an unknown player to be the core of their squad. that's the difference, i'd have been well chuffed with these signings last summer and i think there's a good chance they'll work out well but i don't think we can afford to gamble our future on a lot of these type of signings working out.

and i'd be genuinely interested to see any links to back up those claims.

aye but when united signed gomis they had a strong squad and even then he took a while to settle in and develop. they weren't depending on an unknown player to be the core of their squad. that's the difference, i'd have been well chuffed with these signings last summer and i think there's a good chance they'll work out well but i don't think we can afford to gamble our future on a lot of these type of signings working out.

Sometimes (and I mean most times especially on this board), I feel people will find a reason to moan (or as some might put it, 'play devils advocate') no matter what happens.

Sign established SPL players and they are just the same old same old that does nothing to excite.....oh but hey they are experienced.

OR

Sign undiscovered players who seem to have a decent reputation at their respective level, are young, can be moulded, may make us a lot of money ala Porter, Skippy et al, but hey they are inexperienced!

Damned if you do damned if you dont! Where is the faith in our new manager to get it right. The right appointment until proven otherwise in my book!

Keep the Faith :wacko:

cant be bothered trawling through but the links are there and Im sure im not the only one to have read them.

Humphrey has played 88 league games for Shrewsbury, Jennings has made over 170 league appearances,160+ at Tranmere where he was considered captain material and Coke has 130+ league appearances, you might not have heard of them but surely it can be argued they are adding experience to the squad!

I know what youre saying about us losing so many "old heads" from our old squad but these guys are young,have bags of potential AND have a lot of experience of tough lower league football, as I said, maybe Gannon sees these guys as leaders in his team , or maybe we are going to sign 2 or 3 old guys on loan to help bring on youngsters, we will just need to wait and see, but certainly I think no matter if it was last year or this year, these 3 guys improve the squad AND add experience to a team who include -

Mike Fraser - 66

Mark Reynolds - 127

Darren Smith - 44

Jamie Murphy - 48

Marc Fitzpatrick - 109

Jim O`Brien - 55

Sign established SPL players and they are just the same old same old that does nothing to excite.....oh but hey they are experienced.

OR

Sign undiscovered players who seem to have a decent reputation at their respective level, are young, can be moulded, may make us a lot of money ala Porter, Skippy et al, but hey they are inexperienced!

or perhaps sign both? that's all i'm saying. i'm not critiscing gannon at all i just think the squad is still a long way to go from being of the required standard but i'm sure gannon feels the same way and he's got til the end of august to bring players in.

i'm afraid i just can't put blind faith in a manager we know very little about. we had a dice with oblivion under malpas so for me the jury's out til i see what he puts on the park come the start of the season.

or perhaps sign both? that's all i'm saying. i'm not critiscing gannon at all i just think the squad is still a long way to go from being of the required standard but i'm sure gannon feels the same way and he's got til the end of august to bring players in.

i'm afraid i just can't put blind faith in a manager we know very little about. we had a dice with oblivion under malpas so for me the jury's out til i see what he puts on the park come the start of the season.

Fair play Steelboy, but it just seems the way of the Scot to find something to be negative about. Before McGhee, Motherwell for many years previously went from inexperienced manager to inexperienced manager. I will never defend Malpish, but Davies went on to do not bad, but was ran out of town here, and as much as I hate him, so has Big Ginger nut......so maybe we shouldn't always be so quick to judge (and that goes for our chairman). I think the best thing we could do is benefit from a long term manager, not one year here, two years there, plus I have a good feeling about our new manager!

Exactly. No criticism of Gannon or the players we've signed here. Would just like to see some experience to go with the younger guys. I have no doubt Gannon is looking for exactly that but half decent experienced players are no doubt harder to sign. The average age of the team at the minute is very young (and even younger minus Craigan!).

The average age of the team at the minute is very young (and even younger minus Craigan!).

I thought that too, then I realised exactly how old Hammell, Lasley and Sutton are. Then you have number of games the likes of Reynolds and Fitzpatrick have under their belts. The average age might be on the low side, but the side isn't "inexperienced"...

The thing for me is, everything Gannon has said thus far he's done. McGhee, on the other hand, was full of many, many promises too few he actually delivered. He got us a great season yes, but I always felt he didn't deliver on the many promises he made - instead, whored himself all over the place.

Fair comment. But none are over 30 and much as I like Lasley, not convinced he will be a first 11 pick when the season starts. Don't think Fitzpatrick will feature much either although still have loads of time for him just for 'that' goal against Hearts alone.

Has Dailly been fixed up anywhere yet? We could do a lot worse if we could afford him?

3 signings, two mids and a winger. Do expect to see a new look midfield sooner rather than later. I like Lasley but he is a bit of a jack of all trades, pretty decent at most things but no stand out attributes. Deserves better than being a squad player wonder if he will move on if he finds himself on the bench more often than not.

Fair comment. But none are over 30 and much as I like Lasley, not convinced he will be a first 11 pick when the season starts. Don't think Fitzpatrick will feature much either although still have loads of time for him just for 'that' goal against Hearts alone.

Has Dailly been fixed up anywhere yet? We could do a lot worse if we could afford him?

I do see what you're getting at but for me the fact that none of them are over 30 is actually a bonus. Take Reynolds. A centre back who has played over 150 games for the club and still only 22. Experience should be measured not by your age, but by the amount you've experienced in your career. Lasley's chances of featuring in the first eleven were written off when Hughes signed and again when Bob Malcolm signed, so I wouldn't be quick to rule out him having a big part to play. I know he has his limitations to his game, but he has a habit of making it hard for a manager to drop him. I mean they have to resort to playing him at right back to justify it... :D

I like Lasley but he is a bit of a jack of all trades, pretty decent at most things but no stand out attributes. Deserves better than being a squad player wonder if he will move on if he finds himself on the bench more often than not.

Can't believe other folk are saying this Malky!! Astoundingly quite a few folk have been saying the same thing over the past month or so, after years of a Keith Lasley Cult. I've been saying much the same thing for years and been roundly criticised for it and on occasion given dogs abuse. Keith is a decent squad player for us but no more. He's probably due a regular start for a top first division outfit. Good luck to the guy - he's an honest hard working pro.

Much the same thing happened with Brian Kerr (there the comparison ends). After a month or two a handful of us were questioning what he was actually doing and got heavily criticised for saying that. Then look what happened.

A lot of people on here said the same about Clarky. I would bet there are one or two unexpected players who thrive under JG's new system, and probably one or two old regulars who don't.

I'm happy for everyone to start with a clean slate and see how Gannon thins them out.

I've roundly criticised you for similar, and I'll be far from upset if Keith is an integral part of the team but never denied his limitations. We're seeing new faces from the new manager in his area of the park and he not getting any younger. If they can provide something Keith lacks then his time might be up. As Melvin points out he seen off or outlasted many before so who knows.

Lasley certainly a far better player for us than likes of Kerr ever were, and in many ways under rated but no doubting his limitations. Full of graft, tenacity, with decent touch and passing I like him, but if he had any of the following, imposing stature, pace, creative vision or a decent shot on him then he'd probably have moved on and made more of his career at clubs that can pay more than us.

At 30 his ability to get about the park will be slowly declining, would like to see him around for a while longer but very little room for sentiment in football. Wouldn't like to see him end up like Corrigan, a shadow of his former self albeit more due to injuries.

Lasley certainly a far better player for us than likes of Kerr ever were, and in many ways under rated but no doubting his limitations. Full of graft, tenacity, with decent touch and passing I like him, but if he had any of the following, imposing stature, pace, creative vision or a decent shot on him then he'd probably have moved on and made more of his career at clubs that can pay more than us.

At 30 his ability to get about the park will be slowly declining, would like to see him around for a while longer but very little room for sentiment in football. Wouldn't like to see him end up like Corrigan, a shadow of his former self albeit more due to injuries.

A fair summing up that I can't disagree with. It seems that JG has his own very clear ideas about the kind of team he wants and thats football as they say.

lasley created the one decent chance we made last week. his leadership qualities also can't be undervalued especially now quinn is gone.

i'm obviously a big fan of lasley but he was almost unaminously thought to be our best player last through the first 11 games last season (when we were 3rd) then he went downhill a bit after getting shunted to rightback for a spell. i hope he'll be around to play a big part this season as i think he can contribute on the park and help maintain the ethos we've built over the past 7 years or so.

If JG is to play his 4 -2-3-1, then this needs two holding midfielders. For the moment we have forbes, jennings and lasley. think that is a good three for the season ahead as it allows for changes if there is a dip in form or injury. Can see lasley playing a big role in the side this year and as stated above adds a bit of experience to midfield, which in darkest december we might need to get into that 3rd spot :D

lasley created the one decent chance we made last week. his leadership qualities also can't be undervalued especially now quinn is gone.

i'm obviously a big fan of lasley but he was almost unaminously thought to be our best player last through the first 11 games last season (when we were 3rd) then he went downhill a bit after getting shunted to rightback for a spell. i hope he'll be around to play a big part this season as i think he can contribute on the park and help maintain the ethos we've built over the past 7 years or so.

I don't rate him, and think he will be a bit part player next season. I know he seems to be a lot of fans favourite player, but I feel he isn't strong enough in any one area to make him a first teamer........and McGhee left him out quite a lot too, so it seems it wasn't just me that thinks that way.

What leadership qualities? He's a decent hard-working pro (that I happen to like) but Tinny he ain't. I don't recall him being particularly vocal on the park, or nurturing/giving a bollocking to the youngsters next to him as necessary, firing the team up, or taking the game by the scruff of the neck or anything remotely like that. He's too 'nice'. Certainly, I think he's a good example to younger players in respect of sticking in, grafting, not doing anything too daft but I'd question your judgement as to his perceived leadership qualities.

What leadership qualities?..... .I don't recall him being particularly vocal on the park, or nurturing/giving a bollocking to the youngsters next to him as necessary, firing the team up, or taking the game by the scruff of the neck or anything remotely like that.... Certainly, I think he's a good example to younger players in respect of sticking in, grafting, not doing anything too daft but I'd question your judgement as to his perceived leadership qualities.

My thoughts exactly Haggis. Was he not given the Captain's armband temporarily last seson for a game or two? At the time we were playing pretty dire and performances were flat. (by no means all down to Keith's incidentally). During that spell I recall thinking that he didn't really exhibit any leadership qualities.