The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i appreciate we shot ourselves in the foot time & time again with our pitch but i am getting really pissed of with the continuing criticism we are getting. the work done in the summer was, i believe, overseen by spl/sfa? personnel so surely that means we did the work by the book, by the powers that be standards? traynor should shut up along with the rest of the media & hacks & give us peace & let the club get on with fixing the mess the parks in. rant over

True, but St. Mirren's had plenty of time to knit and bed in. They didn't have to rush it over a few weeks one summer.

For someone who spends so much time pointing out others misleading views thats a ridiculous statement which could easily get you a job in the Scottish Tabloids

From Seeding ( after weeks of preparation) to the first time the pitch was used there was a period of more than 2 months

the germination covers were removed on the 25th June (about 1 week after the seeding) to show a very healthy early growth and the first time it was used was August 22nd.

I don't know anyone thats doubting the work was not done to the required standard during the close season, I think a lot of people are just concerned that so much money was spent and the pitch was still in pretty good condition in early winter, but after a period where we didn't use it, It was destroyed.

But hey, It was the foxes, the tractors had to drive on it to feed it, and it made sense to run the USH for weeks on end with no games being played :lol:

Have you all not paid attention to the fact that we totally renewed the pitch in the summer,new grass and all, then we have the severest winter in years, ush working perfectly, drainage working perfectly, snow covers absulutely necessary unfortunately, the length of time the covers lay on the grass all but killed the new grass. Our pitch was laid in the summer and the winter hit just 5 months later!

Other pitches have suffered a modicum of damage but none as severe as ours. If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state. I'm willing to wager that we will have the best surface in Scotland.

St Mirrens pitch is now in it's 2nd or 3rd year!

;) Another bravo!!!

We understand the fact that we renewed the pitch in the summer, grass and erm... not all as you put it. Yes, we had the severest winter in years, undersoil heating worked, drainage worked. Covers necessary? The length of time the covers lay on the grass all but killed the new grass? Down to the groundstaff and inappropriate use is it not?

Our pitch was laid in the summer and the winter hit just 5 months later! Naw! Geography not a strong point when you were at school? Summer, Fall, Winter... You wouldn't expect winter to hit 12 months later would you? :lol:

Other pitches? It's a clutching at straws that! Not our concern except when the 'slag everything Motherwell bandwagon' is in effect. If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state? Willing to wager that we will have the best surface in Scotland? :thumbup: Eh? I'd keep my hard earned in my pocket if I were you...

Our pitch has succumbed to a process mentioned earlier, not of the pitch contractors making either. We've mentioned also the pitch required feeding, a task undertaken by running heavy machinery over what is in effect a sand blanket, hence, the tyre imprints. The pitch was dried out as heat was added. To enhance the feeder and keep moisture in the pitch and allowing to bind, why was a sprinkler not employed? Again avoidable, tut, tut Mr Groundsman.

Our pitch was laid in the summer and the winter hit just 5 months later! Naw! Geography not a strong point when you were at school? Summer, Fall, Winter... You wouldn't expect winter to hit 12 months later would you? :lol:
I think the point was that clubs like St. Mirren had the option to lay their pitch in the early spring thereby giving it more opportunity to grow and knit. We weren't afforded that luxury and had to undertake the work in the summer knowing that Autumn and Winter were fast approaching and likely to undermine the efforts in the short term.
Other pitches? It's a clutching at straws that! Not our concern except when the 'slag everything Motherwell bandwagon' is in effect.
It's not clutching at straws in this instance. It's a prefectly valid comparison. If well established and normally decent grass surfaces are suffering from the unusually poor winter weather, what chance has new grass?

If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state? Willing to wager that we will have the best surface in Scotland? :lol: Eh? I'd keep my hard earned in my pocket if I were you...
Aye I bet you 500 quid we would. Now get in your time machine and prove me wrong, or pony up.

:doh: Another bravo!!!

We understand the fact that we renewed the pitch in the summer, grass and erm... not all as you put it.

Did we not renew the substrata ,topsoil and new grass/ USH and Drainage......... I think you'll find we did.

Yes, we had the severest winter in years, undersoil heating worked, drainage worked. Covers necessary? The length of time the covers lay on the grass all but killed the new grass?

SNOW COVERS Are necessary during heavy snowfalls,but I agree to a certain extent about the length of time

Down to the groundstaff and inappropriate use is it not?

Hmmmm, Work started in May,carried on through June ,July and the start of August...Summer,from August to December(winter) 5 (FIVE)months! Clearly you don't seem able to count ............ And as for seasons with our climatic changes winter runs into what we called spring,our summers run into what we called Autumn virtually cancelling it out as a whole season and late Autumn now sees the onset of winter..........and geography relates to the land, locations, topographical weather regions but NOT weather! that is meteorology

Other pitches? It's a clutching at straws that! Not our concern except when the 'slag everything Motherwell bandwagon' is in effect. If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state?

AYE IT WOULD!

Willing to wager that we will have the best surface in Scotland? :blink: Eh? I'd keep my hard earned in my pocket if I were you...

Our pitch has succumbed to a process mentioned earlier, not of the pitch contractors making either.

We've mentioned also the pitch required feeding, a task undertaken by running heavy machinery over what is in effect a sand blanket, hence, the tyre imprints.

Sadly that happened.

The pitch was dried out as heat was added. To enhance the feeder and keep moisture in the pitch and allowing to bind, why was a sprinkler not employed? Again avoidable,

I'm sure we could have got you to walk around the pitch, you could have started raving and the pish you spout would have sufficed!

tut, tut Mr Groundsman.

Have a nice day :lol:

i think everyone believes the drainage problems that were ruining the pitch have been sorted. in true motherwell fashion we seem to have an entirely different problem now.

from everything i've heard it seems like the groundsman have tried to use labour saving methods like USH/covers/tractors rather than shovelling snow off the pitch and applying any food by hand.

Firstly, in reply to weeyin,

I think the point was that clubs like St. Mirren had the option to lay their pitch in the early spring thereby giving it more opportunity to grow and knit. We weren't afforded that luxury and had to undertake the work in the summer knowing that Autumn and Winter were fast approaching and likely to undermine the efforts in the short term.

It's not clutching at straws in this instance. It's a prefectly valid comparison. If well established and normally decent grass surfaces are suffering from the unusually poor winter weather, what chance has new grass?

Comparison you say? What of our near neighbours? Removal of their all weather surface with tarmacadam base and other hardcore type layers prior to installation of formation, undersoil heating, topsoil and the lush surface they have enjoyed since in similar timescales.

Secondly, in reply to deaddogman... :doh:

Did we not renew the substrata ,topsoil and new grass/ USH and Drainage......... I think you'll find we did.

Bearing in mind the original specification as to what was required was scaled down... only thing I'd debate was depth of substratum actually renewed, but, I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

SNOW COVERS Are necessary during heavy snowfalls,but I agree to a certain extent about the length of time

Down to the groundstaff and inappropriate use is it not?

Were the covers on during the heavy snowfall? Haven't seen evidence to show they were... What was the requirement to have them on? Well, when the snow acts as an insulation for the period it lies dormant, thaws and our new drainage system would come into play. The snow was cleared from a good surface on Boxing Day, again, what was the requirement to have them on and the undersoil heating working? I'd suggest inappropriate use down to the groundstaff... hell, they're qualified... Baldy Shaw? Andy Russell? Weren't to my knowledge, but, consistently had a playing surface comparable with the best there was. Getting the picture? Industry chat mentions a common denominator :P

Hmmmm, Work started in May,carried on through June ,July and the start of August...Summer,from August to December(winter) 5 (FIVE)months! Clearly you don't seem able to count ............ And as for seasons with our climatic changes winter runs into what we called spring,our summers run into what we called Autumn virtually cancelling it out as a whole season and late Autumn now sees the onset of winter..........and geography relates to the land, locations, topographical weather regions but NOT weather! that is meteorology

Bully for you! Ooh! Can't count? Get you. Maths and English wasn't the first two at our school given, survival took the place of that. Must have been truant or in the remedial class when meteorology was being studied. The broader base to your retort was taught by the finest Geography teacher with a caliper (others on this board will have too) funnily enough, in the Geography Department. I knew the winter kicked in 5 months post pitch renewal, I wouldn't have expected winter to be upon us the following May/June/July some 12 months later which I alluded to, hence, the LOL emoticon.

Other pitches? It's a clutching at straws that! Not our concern except when the 'slag everything Motherwell bandwagon' is in effect. If our pitch was renewed two years or so ago and the SPL clubs renewed theirs in the summer then ours would be in a far superior state?

AYE IT WOULD!

Inconsistent performance by our head groundsman? You still with us? Progressive downturn in pitch quality, year on year. Before the sycophants arrive, I understand no games have been postponed due to the pitch which could suggest otherwise...

The pitch was dried out as heat was added. To enhance the feeder and keep moisture in the pitch and allowing to bind, why was a sprinkler not employed? Again avoidable,

I'm sure we could have got you to walk around the pitch, you could have started raving and the pish you spout would have sufficed!

tut, tut Mr Groundsman.

I seen what you did there... ya cheeky wee rascal! Changing an informed point (yes, relevant qualifications in geo-technics, industry contacts in pitch design and turf management help) by personal slate in an attempt to ingratiate yourself with aw the mile-oots, wank-jobs and bullied at school fucking bangers who frequent here. Can the admin add a 'wanker' emoticon? It should suffice as it'll help the cooler than thou not wishing to cut and paste quote and spurious claim from others not so cool.

Genuine question. (trying to draw a line under the very depressing who done what to whit?)

What is being done? What can be done? in terms of remedial action to sort this mess out over the coming weeks.

I know Leeann said in the official response that we are in dialogue with Greentech - but if the grass hasn't been involuntary manslaughtered then what's the prognosis doc?

Are we gonna watch football on that shit-tip from now to the end of the season or can anything genuinely be done to improve the fare served up?

Can we bring in lamps and claim Greentech - give the opitch a growth boost?

Can we returf more / all of the park?

Can the groundstaff do anything conventional to improve it quickly?

Like I say genuine question.

Genuine question. (trying to draw a line under the very depressing who done what to whit?)

What is being done? What can be done? in terms of remedial action to sort this mess out over the coming weeks.

I know Leeann said in the official response that we are in dialogue with Greentech - but if the grass hasn't been involuntary manslaughtered then what's the prognosis doc?

Are we gonna watch football on that shit-tip from now to the end of the season or can anything genuinely be done to improve the fare served up?

Can we bring in lamps and claim Greentech - give the opitch a growth boost?

Can we returf more / all of the park?

Can the groundstaff do anything conventional to improve it quickly?

Like I say genuine question.

Apart from those at the club answering those questions, I doubt many folk on here are knowledgeable enough to reassure you. This place is full of amatuer groundsmen but I doubt we'll get to see what action the club are taking for a good wee while yet.

Apart from those at the club answering those questions, I doubt many folk on here are knowledgeable enough to reassure you. This place is full of amatuer groundsmen but I doubt we'll get to see what action the club are taking for a good wee while yet.

Whilst I agree with you that we do have a great deal of amatuer groundsmen on here, including myself. I think we are all a bit pissed off that another amatuer groundsmen - Craig Brown, appears to know more about the subject than our head groundsman!

I know as much as the next man about all this though I can get good strips when I cut my lawn.

I would guess that the expense is in the foundations of the pitch (eg ush, drainage, base layers etc) that will not be affected by current problems. I would think that re-seeding should not be that expensive. If the club do have to re-seed after the last game of this season, the pitch would have an additional 3-4 wks (from last year) to knit at the best part of the year for growth. This should not be an expensive option.

Having said that my guess is as good/poor as anyones.

I see Wigan are re-laying their whole pitch at the end of next week.

looking at the fixture list after Saturday's game vs Killie we have one home game in March on the 13th vs Hearts and thats us until the 3rd April. given that the re-laid 'patches' seem to be holding up while the existing pitch seems to be deteriorating further (turning to dust).

i wonder if the board / greentech would be considering turf replacement during this period.

I mean the whole thing is gonna have to be redone in the summer - so do we re-turf now or re-seed then?

me not know?

"neither side capable of getting their foot on the ball on a quite atrocious surface." BBC Radio Scotland commentator Scott Davie

Don't worry, for once the media are not talking about our pitch. Got this from the BBC website. He is speaking about the pittodrie pitch. Wonder if they will be held accountable for having a shit pitch as well!!!!!!! :D

"neither side capable of getting their foot on the ball on a quite atrocious surface." BBC Radio Scotland commentator Scott Davie

Don't worry, for once the media are not talking about our pitch. Got this from the BBC website. He is speaking about the pittodrie pitch. Wonder if they will be held accountable for having a shit pitch as well!!!!!!! :D

Agreed

Just switched the game on and Pitcrappie is no way any better than FP - be interesting to see if the media go ape shit about it in the way they've had a go at us

MON RA DOSSERS

1254: The pundits on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound are having a debate on the condition (state) of the surfaces at Pittodrie and Fir Park. Safe to say both pitches look as though they need the same urgent attention as Mickey Rourke's coupon in the film The Wrestler!

From the BBC live update