The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

Some points/questions for you:

Did we have significant and prolonged pitch issues before we shared with Gretna?

Could the "issues" with our pitch be associated with the fact that every game is televised now and not every fifth game as per a decade ago?

SD

Yes, we had recurring problems with the pitch. It might not have been as consistently bad before the ground-share but we've had problems ever since the under-soil heating went in. I don't really know what you're point is there, if we are to be moving away from Fir Park in next decade or so then would we not be better off putting in a pitch which we know can last for seven years (the number FIFA say the most recent artificial pitches will last for) rather than having to spend so much on remedial work to get the grass pitch playable every pre-season. A plastic pitch wouldn't be the ideal surface for any club to be playing football on but it would be better than the standard of surface we've had at Fir Park for the past few seasons, and could be got for the same amount of money we've spent to get a pitch that after only a few months looked as bad as it did.

I don't have a clue about you're second point though, sorry. Don't see what link there could be there. :thumbup:

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second point was more regarding awareness.

Every year the BBC wheel out John Motson commentating at some old cup upset and, more often than not, the pitch looks a disaster.

When we're used to seeing more football on TV (versus in the flesh), maybe our norms shift.

It's all opinions on the net and everyone's entitled to their views.

SD 

I'm sure someone said earlier in this thread that a plastic pitch is a non-starter due to the pitch not being flat. I'd imagine it would cost a ridiculous amount of money to flatten it out so I really don't see this ever happening at FP.

Undersoil heating buggered the pitch up, then the groundsman seemed to make a mess of a perfectly good pitch at the turn of the year by covering it for a month with the USH on. Had the latter not happened I'm sure the pitch would have been OK, by SPL standards anyway.

Some points/questions for you:

Did we have significant and prolonged pitch issues before we shared with Gretna?

Could the "issues" with our pitch be associated with the fact that every game is televised now and not every fifth game as per a decade ago?

SD  

Yes.

No, it can however be associated with the building of the South Stand.

There was a time not so long ago that Fir Park was consistently deemed the best playing surface in Scotland, bar maybe Hampden.

hmmm after all the patching and filling the only way forward would be to start again the mesh should help a lot as it should help protect the young grassroots just hope we have good summer and the winter is kind to us

Delboy,

You mention a mesh being used, where did you see this? I know that Hull City's surface has a type of mesh covering woven into the soil which protects the grass (they ground share with a rugby team) but I didn't know we were fitting something similar. If it works for them then I'd think it will do the trick for us.

Another thing I heard last week was that during the summer grass grows upwards and during the winter is when the roots of the grass grow down into the soil but if you use USH and heat the soil the grass thinks its summer and tends to grow upwards meaning that you have shallow roots, the soil becomes loose and is easy torn. Best advice is to turn off the USH straight after a game and leave it off until a day or two before the park is used again. If that makes sense :mellow:

There was a mesh in evidence at the start of the season just passed, everybody in our squad can testify from our squad picture day.

As for the heralding of the use of fibresand. It's nothing new to the market, Dalziel Park used similar in construction and a section of the field was re-constructed same at King George V in Wishaw to allow landing of air ambulance helicopters. But, hey, our groundsman is hopeful... at least the contractors should have more input - added cost, less in the playing fund?

Delboy,

You mention a mesh being used, where did you see this? I know that Hull City's surface has a type of mesh covering woven into the soil which protects the grass (they ground share with a rugby team) but I didn't know we were fitting something similar. If it works for them then I'd think it will do the trick for us.

Another thing I heard last week was that during the summer grass grows upwards and during the winter is when the roots of the grass grow down into the soil but if you use USH and heat the soil the grass thinks its summer and tends to grow upwards meaning that you have shallow roots, the soil becomes loose and is easy torn. Best advice is to turn off the USH straight after a game and leave it off until a day or two before the park is used again. If that makes sense :mellow:

sure it was from a posting on the offical site and your right about the use of the USH

Another thing I heard last week was that during the summer grass grows upwards and during the winter is when the roots of the grass grow down into the soil but if you use USH and heat the soil the grass thinks its summer and tends to grow upwards

But how would Scottish grass know the difference between summer and winter anyway? :woop:

But how would Scottish grass know the difference between summer and winter anyway? :notworthy:

in the winter it's cold, wet and dark and in the summer it's cold wet and dull :P