The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Looked like its improved quite a bit since the last game, still caused a lot of problems at times tho'

on the way up to the game Sheila (McLaren?) on radio clyde reported that she had been talking to Motherwells press man, and he said work begins on monday to rip it up and start again :huh:

anyone know whats planned this time?

ps honestly what the fek happened last night :wacko:

Said in the match thread it looked much better than it played. The groundsman left it a fair bit longer and employed the old grass cuttings trick to make it look the part. Think the reason we have to start again is the root zone or whatever it's called has been ruined cos we have been effectively playing on it. Add the amount of sand needed to stop it turning into a mud heap and its fooked!

on the way up to the game Sheila (McLaren?) on radio clyde reported that she had been talking to Motherwells press man, and he said work begins on monday to rip it up and start again :rolleyes:

anyone know whats planned this time?

Last I heard, they were just going to re-seed it again.

Well the State of the art indoor arena up in RC that we are getting to use has spectator seating for 2000 - so if attendances continue to go the way they are going we move in there wuite happily!

The Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility will only have seating for approx 450 at the indoor football pitch hall

:lol:

hmmm after all the patching and filling the only way forward would be to start again the mesh should help a lot as it should help protect the young grassroots just hope we have good summer and the winter is kind to us

I fail to see what any of you other punters want done to the pitch? We had a fucking dreadful winter thats killed the new grass. Its meant to take at least 2 years for a pitch to properly bind and knit together. It never got the chance to do so seeing as it was all deid by January.

Best course of action we can hope for is to reseed it, and hope for a much milder winter.

I couldnt find a proper video, but look at our pitch in December last year:

Like a bowling green.

I fail to see what any of you other punters want done to the pitch? We had a fucking dreadful winter thats killed the new grass. Its meant to take at least 2 years for a pitch to properly bind and knit together. It never got the chance to do so seeing as it was all deid by January.

Best course of action we can hope for is to reseed it, and hope for a much milder winter.

Another. :O Dreadful winter? Not only at Fir Park...

Snow had lay for approximately a week prior to our St Johnstone fixture, cleared, the pitch looked and played well. Postponement of the Hamilton match meant the pitch was to be rested for the next month. Snow had thawed by the middle of the month, shouldn't have provided a problem in itself because it had been cleared, but... a series of errors and problems well documented later, point to poor ground maintenance.

2 years to properly bind and knit together? Again, pains me to say it, our nearest and dearest in South Lanarkshire constructed a pitch in similar timescale to ourselves post removal of their field turf and tarmacadam formations. Barring shortening of the width due to a undersoil heating malfunction and a little 'help' from the local authority in postponing fixtures this year have a pitch comparable with the best in the league at Ipox and the San Giro. On a much smaller budget too. But, we had a dreadful winter...

“We also have a fantastic drainage system, the best rootzone and everything is sand banded so we are hopefully this fibresand layer will give us what we need next season.”

The head groundsman is hopeful. See you all in the Green Green Grass of Home Thread 2010/2011!

OTF - it amazes me how we go round and round with this one and hardly anyone bows to your greater wisdom. perhaps they just don't read the threads me old son.

Look forward to the GGGoH thread next year also. Hoping against hope that we eventually get it right.

The raw materials and the weather are a huge part of the equation but the actions taken by men are also a huge factor.

I think this is our last chance, as a club. Not hopeful.

i've heard the argument for re-seeding umpteen times, but surely going down this route leaves us open to the same problem if we have anything but a mild winter this year? Why not put down turf this time? That will knit together in no time and would have a much better chance of lasting through the winter.

I think it's safe to say we are in the last chance saloon here. A hefty fine or points deduction has to be on the cards if we have a call off next season.

To "hope" that this will rectify the situation is taking a fair gamble IMO. Let's hope we're all proven wrong.

how much is the re-seed costing? it must actually be cheap as chips cause if it is £100k as weve heard,why not turf? a full re-turf would be £100k,£120k tops and would give a perfect surface. I wonder how much this year was really down to the weather and how much was down to poor groundkeeping?

• 2 weeks later...

We really need to start looking at getting plastic pitches back in the SPL. Considering that the top standard of plastic pitch was being used in the Champions League this year and that cost about the same as it cost us to do all of that work last summer, this seems like the best solution. If we are looking at moving from Fir Park in the medium-to-long term a plastic pitch could tide us over until that happens and would get rid of the cost of relaying every season.

and would get rid of the cost of relaying every season.

Some points/questions for you:

Did we have significant and prolonged pitch issues before we shared with Gretna?

Could the "issues" with our pitch be associated with the fact that every game is televised now and not every fifth game as per a decade ago?

SD