The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pitch looks terrible and it plays worse. Sometimes the ball bounces on it, sometimes it doesn't. Players are having to take extra touches to compensate and almost second guess what the ball might do and it's painful to watch. Other pitches, but not all, are just as bad though and seem to be immune to criticism.

There's a goalkeeping howler, if the goalie doesn't take a touch (and on one occassion on Saturday Randy didnae!) just around the corner for some team.

Mystic Milo again :(

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/...022/index.shtml

She(Leeann Dempster) responded later to a question about the state of the playing surface. It had fallen foul to an attack from a type of algae. This has resulted in a loss of grass cover and the need for the unsightly sanding now in evidence. There are no games scheduled at Fir Park for four weeks following Sunday’s game with Celtic so the pitch will be seeded and with the help of germination covers it is expected that a recovery will soon take place

So let me get this right. So far the pitch has been shite because of, and in no particular order:

The rain

The snow

The covers not being on the pitch

The covers being on the pitch for too long

The "lanarkshire micro climate"

The undersoil heating not working properly

The undersoil heating working too well

Poor drainage

Drainage working too well causing leaching

The shadow caused by the South Stand

Overfeeding

Underfeeding

The use of heavy machinery

Foxes

Vandals

No base layer

The wrong sort of base layer

and now.....

Rogue algae. :lol:

How unlucky are we eh!

Oh I almost forgot

The Groundstaff.

I'd like to see artificial pitches allowed in the SPL again. I don't know if there has been any significant change in design of those pitches since Dunfermline and Hamilton tried them but they're much more common now on pitches people are playing on recreationally and so I think they'd be accepted much more readily by the fans. I know I play on the week in week out and I can't help finding it funny that a fat lump like me is playing on a better pitch than most of the ones in the SPL.

The players seemed fine going to play on the one in Norway in the summer, Craig Brown said the players were used to the surface in the run-up to that game as they trained on plastic pitches all the time. I also remember hearing of Archie Knox verbally abusing some council worker when we weren't allowed to use the plastic pitches at Ravenscraig as a permanent training base.

The clubs would surely welcome the chance to be able to rent out the pitch in the stadium during the week, or at least not have to spend so much money on outside training facilities.

I also remember hearing of Archie Knox verbally abusing some council worker when we weren't allowed to use the plastic pitches at Ravenscraig as a permanent training base.

Did anything ever come of that, seem to recall NLC were going to get Knox done for the abuse he dished out?

Sorry MFC, but the pitch has been a joke for years now. Formerly one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland it is a total embarrassment now.

All stems from the erection of that monstrosity at the south end of the ground :blink:

I don't think the blame can be entirley squared at the south stand. When you look at any of the large stadiums across the UK, you do not see a small stand built in the southern corner to let the light in.

Granted, I don't think it helps, but I don't think it is the route cause if you pardon the pun.

Know where you are coming from mate, but I reckon the South Stand was the beginning of where we are now. The majority of large stands at the south end of stadiums have roofs which facilitate natural light getting to the grass while ours certainly doesn't. The foundations also appear to inhibit natural drainage.

From then on in it's been downhill imho.

Know where you are coming from mate, but I reckon the South Stand was the beginning of where we are now. The majority of large stands at the south end of stadiums have roofs which facilitate natural light getting to the grass while ours certainly doesn't. The foundations also appear to inhibit natural drainage.

From then on in it's been downhill imho.

Remember we used to have so much turf behind the goals we used to fill in the six yard box halfway through the season. Was shitting myself on Wed. night incase the physio spilt the water and turned it into quicksand. :lol:

Pittodrie looks dire today. Not just our pitch but, desipte looking every bit as bad as ours, Mr Burley aint criticising it much.

The pittodrie pitch didn't cost us 2pts, the pitch at Fir Park did the other night.We must be into our fourth season now playing on a shit heap and i am getting more pissed off paying my hard earned to watch the games of crazy football that disgrace of a pitch serves up

The pittodrie pitch didn't cost us 2pts, the pitch at Fir Park did the other night.We must be into our fourth season now playing on a shit heap and i am getting more pissed off paying my hard earned to watch the games of crazy football that disgrace of a pitch serves up

I agree. It seems that for whatever reason we can't keep a good standard of pitch at Fir Park. If moving to a new stadium in Ravenscraig is still the long-term goal of the club I think it would make sense for us to try and be allowed to put in a plastic pitch to carry us over for as long as we're at FP.

We're spending crazy money on that pitch ever year - as well as on other parts of a stadium that is really starting to show its age - and by January it still looks like farm, tractor marks and everything. Get a plastic pitch down to stop hemorrhaging money and then hire whoever the fuck planted the pitch at St Mirren's new stadium for when we move.

:excl::O:woop:

ALGAE ATTACK!

At least this algae keeps these rare breeded "foxes" away :ph34r:

Although, I've never seen a disgruntled, ex employeed fox with a black balaclava and splade before.

Watch the groundstaff at halftime. Hilarious, if it wasn't costing The Club £700K?

This mob would give The Chuckle Brothers a run for their money.

Check out - its scary!!!!!!!

Get on the phone to Southampton FC. Their pitch looked amazing on the English highlights show last night.Dont think even wembley today would look any better.Find out how the hell they do it.

I'd guess that climate has an awful lot to do with it. Southampton's location on the south coast gives it a considerable advantage temperature wise over most of Britain. At any point in time you'd expect it to be several degrees warmer than say Carlisle.

Get on the phone to Southampton FC. Their pitch looked amazing on the English highlights show last night.Dont think even wembley today would look any better.Find out how the hell they do it.

By being 400 miles further south, several degrees warmer, and a lot drier.