The Green Green Grass Of Home

delboy

I must admit I was quite shocked the state of the pitch on Saturday. Considering it looked great on Boxing Day and there hasn't been a game on it since.

I arrived at Fir Park club on Saturday just after 1pm during heavy rain and was told that there was a pitch inspection in progress !!! dont know if it was true but the state of the grass seems to indicate it might have been.

With Hindsight after sufferring 90 mins of that pish, calling the game off might have been a bonus :nod:

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 1 home game in the next month, heres hoping that this should give the pitch a chance to heal.

Looking at the footage its in better condition than this time last year but has no grass, clear that the U/S heating has killed it. Hopefully after a full summer of not being ripped up and relaid this year if no work is required it will be stronger again next winter. Will see the benefit in a year or two of the money spent hopefully.

And instead of the usual getting tore into the club, should the SPL not get the blame?

Why? :)

That's 3 consecutive seasons now that the pitch has been a disgrace and the groundsman still manages to keep his job. If we weren't having to spend so much money on the beach each year then maybe would have a small transfer budget to work with and be able to offer players better wages or still have Brown/Knox in charge.

It was the same last year with the pitch looking fine around christmas time then 2 or 3 weeks later after they go over it on the tractors, for what reason i do not now, it is a shambles. Granted it is not as bad as the previous 2 years, at the moment, it should not be happening and MFC only have themselves to blame.

Why? :lol:

That's 3 consecutive seasons now that the pitch has been a disgrace and the groundsman still manages to keep his job. If we weren't having to spend so much money on the beach each year then maybe would have a small transfer budget to work with and be able to offer players better wages or still have Brown/Knox in charge.

It was the same last year with the pitch looking fine around christmas time then 2 or 3 weeks later after they go over it on the tractors, for what reason i do not now, it is a shambles. Granted it is not as bad as the previous 2 years, at the moment, it should not be happening and MFC only have themselves to blame.

The pitch is no worse than any other in the spl and by far much worse than it ever was before under soil heating.

John Chapman a few years ago predicted exactly the problems USH would cause at Fir Park so why shouldn't we blame the spl (old firm apologists)?

Wit? It's no worse than any other? I've heard that statement a few times now and the only explanation I can come up with is I must have been watching different highlights.

It was by far the worst pitch played on in the SPL this weekend. Granted none of them look great but ours is bare to the bone. Until we get a few mild winters in succession the grass is just gonna keep dying off because it's not established enough to cope with the stresses of the cold and undersoil heading, and that is a situation of the Clubs on making by penny pinching on pitch repairs when a radical overhaul was required years ago.

But as others have said, driving a tractor over a pitch as fragile as ours is just draft. You don't have to be an expert to know that. It's things like that which make folk wonder if those looking after it actually have a clue what they're doing!

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys. We have done it and ended up with the extras from Jumanji, The Jungle Book and Congo. None of which know how a pitch should be looked after. There are experts of the trade in the stands wincing everytime these butchers are allowed near our pitch. If our team get a good pitch we'll scud teams, unfortunately we'll spend half a season playing on Troon beach each year. Fibre sand is old hat, the vast majrity of the league have used it for at least 6 seasons. Thankfully, they have staff that know their stuff....