The Cooper Stand

HanoMaSano

Are the Cream Buns getting the Main Stand north section like they used to before they got the Cooper?

I'm happy with the decision to give the DC back to the home support. I know we probably won't fill it, but I'd rather have the home fans/family stand half or three quarters full of Motherwell fans than of Rangers/Celtic fans. It is our home game and it just doesn't seem right to have the away fans at both ends of the ground. It will also increase safety before, but more especially AFTER the game, particularly if we manage to take something from the game. We've all seen how fans of both Rangers and Celtic react when things haven't gone their way. For example, folk in wheelchairs being assaulted by Celtic fans on 22/05/05 aswell as the usual bully boy tactics, and Rangers fans trying to pick fights with random folk like they were the last time we beat them in 2002...and so on and so on. That will still happen to an extent, but at least the fans can't meet each other head on immediately after leaving the stadium anymore. I always thought it was a recipe for disaster to have both sets of fans coming out at the same time and walking right into each other on Knowetop Avenue.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will also increase safety before, but more especially AFTER the game, particularly if we manage to take something from the game. We've all seen how fans of both Rangers and Celtic react when things haven't gone their way. For example, folk in wheelchairs being assaulted by Celtic fans on 22/05/05 aswell as the usual bully boy tactics, and Rangers fans trying to pick fights with random folk like they were the last time we beat them in 2002...and so on and so on. That will still happen to an extent, but at least the fans can't meet each other head on immediately after leaving the stadium anymore. I always thought it was a recipe for disaster to have both sets of fans coming out at the same time and walking right into each other on Knowetop Avenue.

I agree up to a point, but it isn't clear cut. What if both sets of fans leave the POD Stand at the same time? They would still meet up in the stand itself, in Fir Park Street and in Knowetop Avenue.

I agree up to a point, but it isn't clear cut. What if both sets of fans leave the POD Stand at the same time? They would still meet up in the stand itself, in Fir Park Street and in Knowetop Avenue.

I thought opposition fans weren't allowed to share the same stand now?

Shouldn't the Attilas be getting the South Stand and that's it?

I think Saturday would be an ideal occasion to offer decent ticket prices. I reckon more than half of us in the DC are season ticket holders. So why not try and fill the empty seats with more floating Well fans?

Looking forward to Saturday. I even feel optimistic. Having seen off last season's Champions League runners up, the h**s should be mere bread and butter :lol: :lol: :D

Rangers have all but sold out their allocation so hopefully we can match that 5k plus ourselves.

So they are obviously getting some of the main stand again.

Thought that wasn't allowed to happen anymore? :lol:

ps No way will the Coop be anywhere near full but that was never the point IMO.

Rangers do have an overspill in the POD Stand, yes!

In the not too distant past, N Division point blank refused to agree to Police a "split" stand for a Category A match. That's 100% the truth....

However, a change of boss at both organisations has seen relationships improve significantly and there has been a relaxation in the last ten months (which facilitated the return of the Cooper Stand as a "Motherwell Stand" in the first place).

'Flow

However, a change of boss at both organisations has seen relationships improve significantly and there has been a relaxation in the last ten months (which facilitated the return of the Cooper Stand as a "Motherwell Stand" in the first place).

'Flow

So are you trying to say it was the police that wanted to house the Rangers fans in the Cooper Stand?

No, I am trying to say that the Police, in the not too distant past under a different gaffer, were not keen us to revert to what we have in place now.

As relationships have improved in the last 10/12 months, ND have become more relaxed with the idea (of a mixed stand for a Cat A game) which facilitated the decision to return the Cooper to a Motherwell Stand.

Basically, the demand from Old Firm fans is more often than not over the 4,800 the South Stand can provide but nowhere near the 7,000 that the South and Cooper combined can accommodate.

The overspill area allows the club to sell as many tickets to the people who want to go whilst no Season Ticket holder is required to move...

In layman's terms, the way it was before the Cooper decision was taken a few years ago.

'Flow

It's quite simple, if we give them an allocation of 4800 and they sell it out, then that's it. The people that didn't get a ticket miss the match much like in every other sporting/music/ticket based event. The police shouldn't be saying, 'oh look, the Old Firm have sold out their allocation but we know that more would like to come so let's give them a wee bit extra in the form of the Cooper Stand'. Is that what you're saying or am I picking it up incorrectly? By the way, I'm not having a pop just curious as to the influence the police have over the club.

No, I am trying to say that the Police, in the not too distant past under a different gaffer, were not keen us to revert to what we have in place now.

As relationships have improved in the last 10/12 months, ND have become more relaxed with the idea (of a mixed stand for a Cat A game) which facilitated the decision to return the Cooper to a Motherwell Stand.

Basically, the demand from Old Firm fans is more often than not over the 4,800 the South Stand can provide but nowhere near the 7,000 that the South and Cooper combined can accommodate.

The overspill area allows the club to sell as many tickets to the people who want to go whilst no Season Ticket holder is required to move...

In leman's terms, the way it was before the Cooper decision was taken a few years ago.

'Flow

What has a department of the First French Empire got to do with it? :lol:

and you missed the wee squiggle over the e if that is what you were meaning?

No, the Police have no involvement in that side of it - that's purely the club.

However, the Police have the power to veto your ideas if they deem it worthy of veto.

What I am saying is the club, in the not too distant past, put the idea of returning to the arrangement pre-2005 but were knocked back by ND on the grounds that they felt, at that time, policing a shared stand for a category A game was too dangerous.

However, a change of personnel at both ends have seen improved relations and improved confidence and that has allowed us to move back to our pre-2005 arrangements announced at the end of last season.

Hope that makes sense...

'Flow

No, the Police have no involvement in that side of it - that's purely the club.

However, the Police have the power to veto your ideas if they deem it worthy of veto.

What I am saying is the club, in the not too distant past, put the idea of returning to the arrangement pre-2005 but were knocked back by ND on the grounds that they felt, at that time, policing a shared stand for a category A game was too dangerous.

However, a change of personnel at both ends have seen improved relations and improved confidence and that has allowed us to move back to our pre-2005 arrangements announced at the end of last season.

Hope that makes sense...

'Flow

i actually believe you. it's a bit shite that the police can pass off a decision as being based upon health and safety legislation that therefore must be enforced when it was really just down to the whims of one particular pig. it's the same with standing, the same law applies to fir park as to the barrowlands but no one is bothered about hundreds of people crushing there but people standing relatively calmly at a football ground is an issue.

the police in this country can just make it up as they go along, thankfully it looks like we've got a decent one dealing with mfc now.

I assume it's the southern end as before.

What made matters worsefor those of us moved from the Cooper to the Main Stand was that, despite this requirement for stands not to be shared, we still ended up beside the opposition fans. On several occassions I was re-seated towards the southern end of the main stand. The last section had been given to Rangers fans ( I don't remember it happening with Celtic) and the only segregation was the stairway between the sections.

I don't know if this was supposed to be a family section but the occupants were all supporting Rangers and they did not all have kids with them. I saw a good few of them being ejected by the police after being warned several times for their behaviour.

I won't now be subjected to their behaviour, which generally left a bad taste in the mouth, but pity those that sit in the main stand that will again. I imagine they won't be as supportive of the decision to return the Cooper to home fans and that side of the main stand to visiting supporters.