Gannon And The Press

steelboy

myy take on this is this ...

the club has not made a statement on gannon saying that he wants the fringe players to leave ?

therefore, this suggets that he as not breached his rights within his position of motherwell manager ?

and, from what i'm led to believe, Gannon has the full support of the board and the vast majority of 'well fans so whats all the fuss about ?

IN GANNON WE TRUST !

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to ask any Football Manager if they wanted to sell off their fringe players to free up cash to improve the squad/1st team, every single one of them would say yes. Gannon is no different from any manager in that respect and hasn't named one player he wants rid of, so I don't really see too much wrong with what's been said.

If you were to ask any Football Manager if they wanted to sell off their fringe players to free up cash to improve the squad/1st team, every single one of them would say yes. Gannon is no different from any manager in that respect and hasn't named one player he wants rid of, so I don't really see too much wrong with what's been said.

surely it would be better if he actually was up front and said which players aren't "earning their wages". at least then everyone knows where they stand. and fair enough he might have told them in person but even then whoever it is going to feel like a dick when they hear the interview.

i don't believe for a second that he was suprised by the press reaction. as soon as the interview was online people were speculating on here and it's obvious the press would do the same (easy copy) and that the comments would have an effect in the dressing room. i don't think those kind of comments would go down well in any work situation where you have one guy managing a big group.

there was an interview with kenny miller in the sunday herald yesterday where he was talking about how the boozegate scandal had a negative effect on him personally even although on paper it was nothing to do with him.

“They are team-mates and friends of mine. Every day of your life you’re with them so it becomes a wee bit more than just a working relationship. So it did hurt, the way ‘Fergie’ and ‘Greegsy’ were treated."

the diary of jim gannon aged 39 and a 1/2

wed - went for an interview at brighton, nice town, lovely beach, dont fancy the goalie

thursday - gave an interview with the bbc criticising my players for not earning their wages

I heard that Freddie Dindeleux was spotted in Brighton on Wednesday, Brighton's & Gannon's next signing????

Plus anyone reckon Dindeleux is earning his wages at present at Motherwell, sure he signed for us about 5 years ago, never seen him play once for us.

the diary of jim gannon aged 39 and a 1/2

wed - went for an interview at brighton, nice town, lovely beach, dont fancy the goalie

thursday - gave an interview with the bbc criticising my players for not earning their wages

Friday - Pissed off with media hacks for speculating on who I want in my team. Might not talk to them again :O

Saturday - was so disappointed to only draw 2-2 with local rivals who were a man short for 60 minutes that I decided not to talk to the media...... that will give them something to speculate they will think I am a huffy bastard <_<

Sunday - just read steelmenonline................................... :D

surely it would be better if he actually was up front and said which players aren't "earning their wages". at least then everyone knows where they stand.

I don't think he really has any obligation to tell the media anything, especially not the names of players he feels aren't performing.

He could very well have said it behind closed doors, which would be more than enough.

I don't think he really has any obligation to tell the media anything, especially not the names of players he feels aren't performing.

He could very well have said it behind closed doors, which would be more than enough.

obviously he doesn't have to tell them anything but...

he says pretty much unprompted

"some players aren't earning their wages"

journalists ears prick up sensing a good story. journo asks who he means

jim says "you need to take a look at the team sheets"

he actually invited the speculation himself then got uppity when it actually occurred. now either our manager is an idiot an has no idea how to handle the media (which i don't believe) or his comments had an effect that he didn't expect. as soon as he made them there was a thread on here speculating who he meant, it was obvious the papers would do the same.

if speculation in the papers annoys him so much don't make controversial statements which attract attention then actually ask the media to draw their own conclusions. if you do feel the need to make statements about the squad in the media have the baws to name names.

i don't believe that he is actually pissed off about the papers or the bbc and that he's got other reasons for not speaking to the media.

I think theres also other reasons for Gannon not speaking to the press.

I do though agree he did invite the speculation but it shows the standards of journalism that they picked out 2 wrong names. We have a half idea of who he was meaning and Craigan and Lasley have been playing their part this season (albeit a small one). Does the BBC and the rest of the media know the names of players outside our first team squad at the moment? There ignorance of our team should be more upsetting but its not surprising.

End of the day Jim can fall out wi the press but its us the fans who are suffering. I want to hear Jim's views on Saturdays game, was it a point gained or 2 dropped to him, why did he change tactics and play a couple of players out of position. Saturdays match had more points for discussion than any of our games so far and its disappointing that we've no heard from him even through the official website.

to be fair though he said players so he meant more than one.

even if you say it's mcgarry plus someone else who would that be? daz and fitz have been injured, everyone else except from patrick mcpake has been involved to some extent and i doubt he meant him.

i think it's fair to say that there's something more to this than having had his feelings hurt by the media.

Say what you like but this is Wednesday and still nothing on the official site from Gannon!

To be fair, it may be like most clubs that allow a period of time off during an International Break, and Gannon and Motherwell may seem that this is a good time for him to have a small period off to spend down in Cheshire, before resuming training etc before our next match. Especially with a section of the team either on International duty with U21's, U19s, N.Ireland etc. Good time for him to have one or two days off.

And therefore could be a legitimate reason for the delay in any word from Gannon.

Jim Gannon = Manager

Management in all business and human organization activity is simply the act of getting people together to accomplish desired goals and objectives. Management comprises planning, organizing, staffing, leading or directing, and controlling an organization (a group of one or more people or entities) or effort for the purpose of accomplishing a goal

Basically Gannon is paid to make decisions.

If your manager said to you put in more effort to acheive the quality or outcome, or you'll be disciplined. You sort yourself out and football is no different.

I think Crags has been put in his place.

I think Gannon is talking about McGarry, Fraser, Fizzy, possibly lasley

Or, maybe he just made that comment without any specific players in mind just to keep everybody on their toes and stop complacency creeping after the club just picked up 2 awards.

Agree with that to an extent...

Also think it will promote the "players not earning their wages" to work harder and prove him wrong. This seems to be a method he uses for motivation - as seen with the Craigan situation at the start of the European campaign.

That said....I still think he wants players out the door to free up money for new additions to the squad.

Does anyone actually know for certain why Gannon never spoke to the press? No we are speculating, so why are we criticising the manager for something we know fuck all about?

:lol:

It was widely reported after the game on Saturday that Jim Gannon left the ground without speaking to the press, on the radio station I was listening to in the car they said Motherwells media officer was unable to say why and Lukas Jutkiewicz would be speaking from the 'Well perspective.

Now I don't know for certain but.........ah fuck It I'm not even that concerned about the medja hacks getting their nose put out.

I will say that I'm not criticising Jim Gannon for it, it concerns me however knowing his history of refusing to speak to certain parties that he hasn't even been able to speak to the official site.

I'll get ma blinkers