Gannon And The Press

steelboy

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just read the BBC Alba thread, it sounds to me like Craigan's comments during his interview were equally, if not more, noteworthy...

Indeed. Having watched said interview it's hard not to leap to conclusions(not that you have been doing that MB). Lots of praise for Mark,not so much for Jim Gannon. And a wee smile for the cameras when saying as long as results are good then the manager can't be criticised.

I'm more of a mind to play this type of speculation down though. As others have said,it's only really McGarry who has been frozen out. Even guys like Coke,who's seen as a Gannon favourite,have been subbed early.

I'm more inclined to think that he didn't speak to the "media" as he feared a fine/ban after making negative comments about the officials display. From the BBC Alba pictures he looked seriously pissed off with a few decisions,not to mention the timewasting from our neighbours.

I was wondering how long after the game this thread would get started.. :rolleyes: . Motherwell fans miss nothing don't we...We criticise when the club tell us nothing, we criticise when they tell too much...FFS gie the guy some breathing space and stop looking at every single thing under the microscope for hidden meanings...This is a non story, end off

:rolleyes: Listen to yourself!

Yes we have criticised the club for telling us nothing, but when have we ever criticised the club for telling us too much? I don't think asking for a post match interview is smothering him. And of course we're going to look at this and wonder what is going on, our manager has refused to speak to the media. It is our right as fans of Motherwell Football Club to speculate as to why we think this is.

Shamelessly taken from another thread, this sums it up for me also...

Gannon refusing to speak to them isn't a major concern, I like to see journalists get all uppity cos someone doesn't acknowledge their existence in the same manner they view themselves.

From the man who wouldn't do a Sky Sports interview after they failed to sort his sky box out! It's the Jim Gannon show after all! Usual pant wetters from here should do their best to remember that, his agenda not yours. All will be revealed in due course...

gannon's done a great job so far but i don't want that kind of atmosphere at fir park. for the last few years there's been a great bond between the club, the players and the fans. since we went into to admin there's been an amazing spirit around motherwell.

he's clearly attempted to isolate certain players but the squad have stuck together and now he's backtracking. gannon can do what he wants on the playing side but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

He has a way of doing things, which is to keep a big distance between himself and the players. He isn't going to change, that's what he's comfortable with and that has brought him success.

You have to accept managers, warts and all. I don't think his taskmaster approach to players should affect anything beyond the squad itself, so I don't see a problem.

I have no sympathy for Gannon on this one. Even without the press sexing his comments up I thought what he said was poor and I could not see a reason for it.

As a player not getting a game I would have been raging. We have to remember that these are Professional Players making a living and for somebody to be in front of camera's talking openly about these careers, and basically rubbishing them is really poor in my view.

Disappointing because I feel that Gannon has hardly put a foot wrong but I just could not understand why he felt the need to say what he did publicly.

A couple more injuries in the squad and these comments could really come back to bite him. Was no excuse for it and showed a lack of sensibility.

As a player not getting a game I would have been raging. We have to remember that these are Professional Players making a living and for somebody to be in front of camera's talking openly about these careers, and basically rubbishing them is really poor in my view.

What's wrong with a few home truths.....we're a football club where players come and go all the time.

If we're paying squad/bit players, first-team wages...then sadly it's time to punt em' regardless of their past records at the club.

If they were playing well, they'd leave us without a care in the world for more rewarding pastures.

What's wrong with a few home truths.....we're a football club where players come and go all the time.

If we're paying squad/bit players, first-team wages...then sadly it's time to punt em' regardless of their past records at the club.

If they were playing well, they'd leave us without a care in the world for more rewarding pastures.

Spot on my bespeckled friend.

some players come and go all the time, but there are other guys at the club who have asscoiations going back 10+ years and have been here through thick and thin.

he can do whatever he wants with the squad but there's no need for personal attacks in the

media on anybody which is what saying "some people aren't earning their wages" is.

I thought JG's comments on players leaving were honest - but he still didn't name names. His challenge was to those who were not performing. Therefore the message to those not in the team is either dig in an show some graft or find another club.

OK, his comment - just look ath the team sheet - suggests he's referring to Craigan, Fraser, Lasley et al. But is he actually stating who's finished? Suppose the likes of Lasley put in the graft at training and bounce games and showed what he could do. Would Gannon still ship him out?

As had been said earlier, Stockport fans experienced JG being forthright with his views. I like it. Still, no need to just take your ball home Jim when the press analyse what you've said.

some players come and go all the time, but there are other guys at the club who have asscoiations going back 10+ years and have been here through thick and thin.

he can do whatever he wants with the squad but there's no need for personal attacks in the

media on anybody which is what saying "some people aren't earning their wages" is.

Did Gannon mention Stephen Craigan by name? No, outsiders have.

Take McGarry for example, is he earning his wage when not even part of the first-team squad?.... a first-team wage to sit in the Main Stand, I think not.

Craigan was interviewed last week and stated that he believes Scottish football would be better off if more managers had Gannon's philosophy, which is a glowing review of Jim Gannon's management skills, maybe we should have more faith.

I don't think JG had Craigan in mind. If he plays he is Captain and he has featured in more games than he has missed. Admittedly, we missed Hammell and Yassin at the weekend and had to resort to putting Humphrey and Hately at the back but we DID miss Craigan in the second half. I'm sure JG would have noticed that.

So what if they have been here ten years? If they aren't performing he is quite right to say that unless certain people show what they are made of they will be heading towards the exit door.

Some people aren't earning their wages seems a very reasonable assessment and it's Gannon who manages them and sees them day to day, I would think he has a fair idea what he is talking about.

Did Gannon mention Stephen Craigan by name? No, outsiders have.

Take McGarry for example, is he earning his wage when not even part of the first-team squad?.... a first-team wage to sit in the Main Stand, I think not.

by making a controversial statement about players then making an ambiguous statment when he was asked who he meant he was inviting speculation.

as far as earning their wages only 14 players can play each game but we need more than 14 here. in my book if your keeping yourself in good shape, working hard and your ready to play on a saturday then you are earning your wages. what else can guys like fraser, mcgarry and lasley do? saying they're not earning their wages is an uncalled for slur.

So what if they have been here ten years? If they aren't performing he is quite right to say that unless certain people show what they are made of they will be heading towards the exit door.

it means there due a bit of respect for their past efforts even if they're not going to be part of our future. there's no need for comments like that about anyone, if he feels that way about any contracted players he should let them know face to face and not play games in the media.

Why is it playing games? I don't think there's anything in the slightest disrespectful or controversial in Gannon's comments, he's simply being honest. How do any of us know that he hasn't already had conversations with players to that effect? Is he supposed to say when asked, no I'm keeping every single player on the books, even the ones who are getting paid handsomely to sit in the stands every week incase I offend them or any Motherwell supporters who might get a bit outraged at my comments.

To me it sends a clear message, if you aren't performing give yourself a boot up the arse if you want to stay here. If people respect that they will either do exactly that, or stick out the petted lip and be unhappy. It's a bosses job to make tough decisions and as for the media, it's not the first time in MFC's history that a manager has come out and said similar so why Gannon is getting flak for it I do not know.

As for respect, only Gannon and the players themselves truly know the respect they have or haven't for one another.

no one would be happy if they thought they were giving 100% at work and doing their best in a job they had worked hard in for years and then they found out their boss was making public statements that they're not earning their wages.

it's playing games because stuff like this should be done face to face. he made a totally loaded statement, then when he was asked specifically who he meant he made he was very vague and literally invited speculation.

what other similar situation has there been? mcghee made public comments about mensing, mclean and kinniburgh but he was at least up front enough to name who he was talking about and he always made clear they were training hard and it was nothing to do with how they were going about their work.

Disco, starting to sound like the pant wetters who frequent these boards m/lad. Sounds to me of careful editing on the media part to an interview Mr Gann

on may well have under prepared for...

i thought all your pant wetter comments were already aimed at me :thumbup:

it wasn't edited, there's a six minute continuous video on the bbc website. i realise i'm still going on about it but that's what this forum is for plus there are daft points i feel the need to refute.