Gannon Sacked! Motherwell Part Company with Manager

steelman1991

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Gannon's gone. Surprised? Yes. Disappointed? Yes and no.

Having seen the way the team has played the past few weeks, his rather bizarre substitutions of late and in particular the arrogant air that's surrounded him recently haven't exactly filled me with confidence. Saturday against St Johntone said it all to me - we're 3-1 down with 20 minutes to go and he subs our top goalscorer for a winger that's hardly played all year because of various circumstances. He then spends the rest of the game sitting in the dugout with his arms folded in a huff. Any other manager would have been out there screaming orders at his team - encouraging them, telling them how to play the ball, doing something to get them going.

He persisted in making changes to a squad that had been playing well at the start of the season - how on earth he can say we can't keep a clean sheet is beyond me. We've kept how many this season? Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Rangers, Falkirk, Celtic and Hearts - the only one in there I'd say should be expected is Falkirk, with three of them coming in VERY difficult away games.

He looked like a man that had given up - on Saturday, so I'm glad he's gone in that respect.

However, I agree with Trafficlight et al - I think we've missed out on someone that will become an excellent manager in the years to come. He's his own person and not afraid to speak out - although I think he needs to learn how to speak in the "correct" way, if that makes sense - the arrogance that's come across on more than one occasion didn't exactly make me warm to him.

Good luck to him in the rest of his career, but I really think that this is for the best given what's come to light today. I'll be interested to see what his reaction is to this and in particular to hear his side of the story.

Having spent the last 20 minutes reading through this thread, I'll try not to repeat anything - or add to speculation.

A poll on this board just last week, suggested the vast majority of Steelmen Online members were thoroughly satisfied with Jim Gannon's performance over the six months. I personally think he was a breath of fresh air and think he would have made real progress over a long period.

Cheers for all your efforts JG.

However, I agree with Trafficlight et al - I think we've missed out on someone that will become an excellent manager in the years to come.

Not likely - unless he can learn to get on with people. It takes something to fall out with virtually everyone he came into contact with during his time at Motherwell.

Gannon would be an excellent Manager if he had diplomacy as a personality trait. Basically he had his views and they were always right regardless of who you were.

Gannon will never fulfil his potential unless he screws the nut.

Not likely - unless he can learn to get on with people. It takes something to fall out with virtually everyone he came into contact with during his time at Motherwell.

Gannon would be an excellent Manager if he had diplomacy as a personality trait. Basically he had his views and they were always right regardless of who you were.

And you know these things as absolute fact??

-

Win % of recent managers

Mark McGhee 39.7%

Terry Butcher 34.2%

Billy Davies 33.3%

Maurice Malpas 31.8%

Alex McLeish 30.7%

Jim Gannon 28%

Eric Black 25.9%

Harri Kampman 23.8%

After their first 17 league games

Mark McGhee 52.9%

Terry Butcher 29.4%

Billy Davies 29.4%

Maurice Malpas 29.4%

Eric Black 29.4%

Jim Gannon 23.5%

Points tallied.

Mark McGhee 29pts

Jim Gannon 20pts

Billy Davies 20pts

Eric Black 19pts

Terry Butcher 15pts

Maurice Malpas 7pts

Biggest defeats of recent years.

7-0 at home to Celtic & 5-0 against St Johnstone during Davies' first 17 games

5-1 defeat to Livingston during Butchers first 17 games

4-1 defeat to ICT and a 6-1 loss to Hibs during Malpas' first 17 games

6-1 loss to rangers during Gannons first 17 games.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics :lol:

And you know these things as absolute fact??

Well Emmajay - what do you think?? Do you think he was sacked because he excelled at man management and had all the players and staff on his side................

I know for a fact he fell out with the media, the referees and a number of players at Motherwell. It now seems as if the board had also had enough. So I do believe that the answer to your question is YES.

Well Emmajay - what do you think?? Do you think he was sacked because he excelled at man management and had all the players and staff on his side................

I know for a fact he fell out with the media, the referees and a number of players at Motherwell. It now seems as if the board had also had enough. So I do believe that the answer to your question is YES.

And yet he done ALL of these things at Stockport. Boyle knew this because Gannon was appointed after a diligent and exhaustive search for the right man. So why sack him when he does exactly that? Or is it really some kind of masterstroke by Boyle to..........nah cant think of anything. Scotlands answer to Vlad the mad.

I think somewhere in all of this, is a grain of truth. And I don't believe its as one sided as we've been told... :lol:

i'm glad to see he's gone but i hope the samaratians are doing double shifts in the motherwell area for those who thought he was the messiah. it was clear from the very start that we had got a man with a huge ego and an extremely high opinion of himself and it's this vanity that has clearly been his downfall. it must have been galling for boyle to see gannon slating everyone in scottish football and ruining the good name of the club while at the same time whoring himself around jobs down south and refusing to commit to motherwell.

the guy isn't the tactical genius he likes to think he is and anyone who is out coached by gus mcpherson twice in the space of four days needs to take a look himself. the second st mirren game was particularly horrific, why the hell were we man marking alan johnston who was playing his first game in a year? there were plenty other inexplicable decisions but four times in league games recently we've been in strong positions at half time and gannon's changes have handed the opposition the impetus and ended up costing us points.

i don't think gannon was able to handle the change from a 24 team league to a 12 team one. there are no weekends off in the spl, every game is vital and the pressure is always on. i expect he'll head back down to the coca cola leagues with tales of poor scottish players, corrupt refs and despicable journalists. the truth is however that he couldn't handle the pressure up here, was unable to put out a team that consistently looked like it could go out and win a game and made an arse of himself in public.

he was handed a great opportunity at motherwell and through his own bloody mindedness has thrown it away. at the q and a last week craig brown and chris mccart told some great stories about motherwell and mentioned legends like st john, mcallister, tom boyd, cooper, phil and faddy amongst others. it was clear that gannon had nothing nothing similar to share as he spent his career bottom feeding in the lower english leagues. two of our ex managers are flying high in the english leagues where he'd love to be, mcleish and davies weren't the most popular managers but they clearly made the most of their opportunity here. for gannon it's back to obscurity and he can start rebuilding the myths that he's a modern football mind who supports young players when in fact he's a control freak who only wants players he can stamp his authority on.

The players are delighted he's gone, no more so than One who could be departing soon and one who cant last more than 30 minutes a game.

Name names. Reynolds and Forbes? O'Brien and McGarry? A combination of these names? I also heard today that most of the players are happy he's away (from a family member of one of the players about ten past one today)...