Offside Goal

maxywell

If he leaves it, it goes in, no questions asked.

It was needless and greedy and ultimately cost us the 3 points, harsh but sadly true.

No chance. He was well onside and did exactly the right thing. Anything could have happened to that ball and from right behind the goals in the Cooper I couldn't say it was definitely going in before Forbes poked it in.

He did the right thing and bar a preposterous and completely unpredictable decision by the linesman, it would have been 2-0.

The most galling thing about it is that it was a fucking ridiculous decision by Forbes to try and snatch the goal, it was going right in.

Idiot.

My fuckin sacks!!! He's looked across the line and knows he's onside, what more does an attacker have to do? Be inside his own half for a corner and run 50 yards to try and get a touch on the cross?

Technically Neil is correct, so I will defend him to a point! Forbes to be fair may not have been sure if the ball was definitely going in though, it was a shot from Crags remember!!

No, the fault lies with the linesman. Now, where's Jim Gannon when you need him...... :doh:

If he leaves it, it goes in, no questions asked.

It was needless and greedy and ultimately cost us the 3 points, harsh but sadly true.

While I obviously agree in principle that an attacking midfielder shouldn't follow the ball in at a free kick lest he give the assistant referee an opportunity to flag him offside I feel that the criticism of Forbes is unjustified.

There are far greater culprits whose actions could have prevented an offside decision.

Craigan had ample opportunity to slice his shot wide - he could, with a bit of thought on his part, just taken a wild swipe and missed it completely.

My opinion is that it is Hately's fault on 2 accounts

1. his free kick - he could easily have played it into McGregors hands, into a ruck of players, or to be safe just thumped it high and wide.

2. he scored from the free kick in the first half. surely if Well were not leading 1-0 the linesman might have thought twice about flagging even given the unfortunate onside antics of Craigan and Forbes.

JT

Rangers boss Walter Smith conceded the goal SHOULD have stood - but shrugged that these decisions even themselves out.

He said: "I'm told both of the Motherwell boys were onside, so it was probably a goal. "But not so long ago here, we had a Kris Boyd goal chalked off that should have stood. We ended up drawing that game, so some of them go for you and some go against you.

That's the game where he WAS off, the whistle HAD been heard by everyone in the ground and he SHOULD have been booked for kicking the ball away.

Hardly a comparison at all ya fud!

Saw Sky News this morning, it's turned into fact that our goal was disallowed for a push. As Mr MFC predicted, they'll turn anything round, baistards.

Refs and Meedja, bunch of c***s but unfortunately it's only us doing the shouting and we won't be heard above that shower of shite. Oh for someone in a position to make our views heard. :doh:

Awful decision that none of us will forget until the end of time. Same old same old.

Rangers boss Walter Smith conceded the goal SHOULD have stood - but shrugged that these decisions even themselves out.

He said: "I'm told both of the Motherwell boys were onside, so it was probably a goal. "But not so long ago here, we had a Kris Boyd goal chalked off that should have stood. We ended up drawing that game, so some of them go for you and some go against you.

That's the game where he WAS off, the whistle HAD been heard by everyone in the ground and he SHOULD have been booked for kicking the ball away.

Hardly a comparison at all ya fud!

Correct. No-one in the ground even claimed for a goal that night.

I cant agree, yes they are mince but that decision is unforgiveable and nothing but cheating.

Oh don't start going down this road. It was a terrible decision but it wasn't cheating as if it was then we simply wouldn't have got any decisions atall.

Referees and linesmen have a split second to make a decision like that and that is when you see a good official, when they can get those calls correct. Unfortunately most match officials in this country are largely useless and incompetent and don't recieve the punishment that they should get for the repeated errors that they make.

But cheating? I seriously doubt that they are even competent enough to do that.

I actually feel physically sick this morning having saw the 'goal' again. Forbes shouldn't have touched it, but to be fair to him I'd have done the exact same thing, not so much for personal glory but because it was a crowded penalty box and, if I was safe in the knowledge that I was onside as he was, I'd have been making sure it was in the onion bag before anyone got the chance to clear it.

I went straight home from the game last night and got to saw Craig Browns reaction to it live, and he is an absolute class act. There is much more at stake for him than me when these decisions go against Motherwell, and I was absolutely irate when I saw it again, but he managed to remain calm, while still pointing out that the big teams get all these decisions, and also saying that if it had stood we'd have gone on to score more.

On a more philosophical note, these games are important because, every time the Old Firm and the officials rob us of points against them by blatant cheating, and that's what it was, then it makes it all the sweeter when we beat them next time.