Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Michele Grella (born 23 January 1987) is an American professional soccer player who plays for Leeds United. who play in The Championship of the English Football League. He plays as a striker or as an attacking midfielder.[2] He was a United States Under-20 International and a highly rated talent in USA. During his first full year with Leeds, Grella was a prominent substitute for the squad which won promotion to The Championship.

Youth and Amateur

Grella was born in Glen Cove, New York and had a highly successful youth career. He was a 2003 and 2004 Parade Magazine High School All American soccer player and the 2004 NSCAA National High School Player of the Year for the Glen Cove Big Red. He led his club team, the Albertson Red Storm, to both the 2003 and 2004 USYSA National Championships and the Red Storm Academy to the 2004 Super Y-League Championship. Grella played college soccer for Duke University where he was a 2008 first team All American.

During the 2007 collegiate offseason, he played for the Long Island Rough Riders in the fourth division USL Premier Development League. In 2008, he played for the Cary RailHawks U23's.

[edit] Leeds United

In February 2009, he was drafted in the third round (34th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC. However, Grella decided against signing for the Canadian club, and instead tried his luck at playing in Europe. Grella went on trial with Leeds United. in January 2009, and scored a hat-trick for the club's reserves on the 21st of that month against Barnsley FC.[3] He also scored a goal in a behind closed doors game, with news of a permanent deal pending. He signed a full-time contract for Leeds United on transfer deadline day, 2 February 2009, until the end of the 2009–10 season.[4]

He made his Leeds debut on February 14, 2009, after coming on as a 74th minute substitute for Lee Trundle in a 1–0 defeat to Huddersfield Town..[5] His first season in professional football was mainly spent making short cameos as a substitute during Leeds fight for promotion. He came on late in Leeds' playoff semi final against Millwall but was unable to grab a goal so far during his first team appearances for Leeds.

Grella scored his first senior goal for Leeds in a Pre-Season friendly against Burnley. On 10 August 2009 he was voted Man Of The Match in a Carling Cup match against Darlington although he didn't score. He signed a new long term contract with Leeds and is expected to be a very good prospect by the Elland Road management.

Grella had to wait just over seven months for his first league start. Replacing the injured Jermaine Beckford in the starting line up for the visit of Stockport County to Elland Road on 5 September 2009, it took him just eight minutes to score his first league goal, curling in an opportunistic effort from the edge of the penalty area.[6]

With 7 subs required for the 2009–10 season Grella has found himself used mainly as a substitute in games, coming on as a substitute to try make an impact in games. When Grella is used as a substitute in games the chants of U S A are often heard from the stands at Elland Road due to his nationality.

Grella scored for Leeds after coming on as a late substitute in the 2–0 FA Cup win against Oldham.[7] He repeated this FA Cup goalscoring form on 8 December 2009 in the FA Cup replay against Kettering Town, coming on as a substitute during the second period of extra time. Grella's introduction changed the pace of the game (which had previously been 1–1), as he scored twice as Leeds won the game 5–1, taking his tally to four for Leeds.[8] Grella started for Leeds in the JPT game against Accrington Stanley. Grella was substituted in the same game and replaced by Sam Vokes. Grella was an unused substitute for Leeds' famous victory away to Manchester United in the FA Cup third round.[9] Grella started Leeds' JPT Northern Area Final first leg against Carlisle United, and he was substituted late in the second half by Luciano Becchio.

Grella's 5th goal of the season for Leeds came in JPT Northern Area Final second leg against Carlisle United. With Grella coming on as a second half substitute and scoring the late winner to send the tie to penalties, one of which Grella converted in the shootout, but Leeds ended up crashing out of the tournament after losing 6–5 on penalties.[10] After coming on as a first half substitute against Norwich City, Grella was given a start against Swindon Town after Luciano Becchio's head injury ruled him out. Grella dropped back onto the bench for the rest of the season, and was limited to late substitute appearances. Leeds were promoted as League 1 runners up after beating Bristol Rovers. Over the course of the season Grella was unable to break up the 48 goal partnership that consisted of Jermaine Beckford and Luciano Becchio and had to settle for a role mainly as a substitute.

He made his first appearance in The Championship when he came on in the opening fixture as a second half substitute in the loss to Derby County and remained on Leeds' bench as an unused substitute in the opening fixtures. After the arrival of Ross McCormack and the emergence of Davide Somma saw Grella dropped down the pecking order at Leeds, Grella is set to go out on loan in order to gain some more first team experience, on transfer deadline day he turned down a loan move to League 2 side Oxford.[11] 14 September to help maintain match fitness, Grella played 90 minutes in Leeds' 3–1 behind closed doors friendly win against Middlesbrough, scoring a brace in the process.[12] On 22 September 2010, Grella turned down the opportunity of joining Bradford City on loan[13] Simon Grayson revealed his disappointment that Grella turned down the loan move as he wanted him to get a regular run of games out on loan.[14][15]

[edit] Carlisle United loan

On 12 October 2010, Grella joined Carlisle United. on a month's loan to gain some more first team experience and gain regular football.[16] He joined fellow Leeds loanee Ľubo Michalík who was already at the club.[16] Grella made his debut as a second half substitute against Exeter City., he started the next game against Charlton, and scored his first goal for Carlisle against Charlton Athletic..[17] He scored in his second consecutive game against Bristol Rovers..[18] Leeds refused permission for Grella to play for Carlisle in the FA Cup against Tipton Town..[19] After impressing during his first month at Carlisle, Grella's loan was extended to 1 January 2011, with Leeds including a 24 hour recall clause if he is needed.[20][21][22] Carlisle had requested to loan Grella for the entire season but had that request turned down by Ken Bates.[23] On 20 November, Grella scored his third goal for Carlisle against Walsall.[24]

[edit] International career

He has represented the United States at both under-18 and under-20 level. He holds both US and Italian passports. Grella admitted he was looking to be called up by the full USA national side, and was hoping to break into the World Cup squad, but he said his lack of playing time at Leeds has made the opportunity of a call up very slim.[25] Grella was left out of the USA squad for the 2010 World Cup, after failing to earn a cap for the full international side before the tournament.

[edit] Honours

[edit] Leeds United

[edit] Personal life

He spends his time off with his family back in Glen Cove, NY. His mother is Grazia Grella, his father is Michael Grella Sr. and his brother is Frank Grella.

Innocent, just a lunch time wanderer who happened to notice three foreign boys admiring the sights and sounds of Glasgow city centre. Tried to get a bit of chat out of them but Collet and Navarro could speak hee haw english and the shine off of Estebans heed was blinding me.

Where were they? i was kicking about that neck of the woods 20 mins ago! could have got an autograph from my hero :blush:

Where were they? i was kicking about that neck of the woods 20 mins ago! could have got an autograph from my hero :blush:

Met them near McDonalds on Sauchiehall street about 25 minutes ago, three foreign looking guys wandering about head to toe in designer gear, not too hard to spot.

Despite not making it at Inverness, Rory McAllister at Brechin would be an excellent signing for a team like us. He looks a right dangerous player when I've watched him this season.

I read in one of the tabloid yesterday that Hibs, one other SPL side I can't remember and Aberdeen were looking at him.

OK, with a the recent exit and a plethora of potentials, I updated the first post. It's worth noting that there is a very low number of people who come on loan and are either offered something or we can adhere to their terms ....

Liam Bridcutt, Adriano Pellegrino, Cody Arnoux, Anton Peterlin, Andy Dorman, Simeon Masaba, etc. and that's just in the past year.

OK, with a the recent exit and a plethora of potentials, I updated the first post. It's worth noting that there is a very low number of people who come on loan and are either offered something or we can adhere to their terms ....

Liam Bridcutt, Adriano Pellegrino, Cody Arnoux, Anton Peterlin, Andy Dorman, Simeon Masaba, etc. and that's just in the past year.

Member in a bounce game against selic cody arnoux scored a double? now he plays in the American 3rd division

So the 2 Spanish speaking guys could understand him?

Casa is Spanish and played most of his football in Belgium. So theres a good chance he could be able to translate for the Spanish and Belgian guy. He still may be shite at football though.

Casa is Spanish and played most of his football in Belgium. So theres a good chance he could be able to translate for the Spanish and Belgian guy. He still may be shite at football though.

Let Casa explain it himself :blink:

"My history is a little strange. I was born in Belgium but I'm Spanish. My father is a Spaniard and we moved back to Barcelona when I was young.

"My mother is Uruguayan so I have three nationalities!"

Let Casa explain it himself ;)

"My history is a little strange. I was born in Belgium but I'm Spanish. My father is a Spaniard and we moved back to Barcelona when I was young.

"My mother is Uruguayan so I have three nationalities!"

Four if he Night schools himself here for Five Years :blink:

Anyone confirm or deny the Healy rumour? All I want to do is have a legit reason to sing the Healy song.

Always fancied Healy at Fir Park after hearing the NI fans belt it out at Hampden.

Supposedly playing for Sunderland reserves at Gateshead tonight. A loan move to the SPL, may well not be out the question.

Was looking through our club pages on the bbcs 606 site and there is a Walsall fan on it asking if we have heard of one of their players who has just been released who is according to him joining us Steve Jones 34 year old injury prone ex Northern Ireland international forward,looked him up on wiki and its got him down as having joined us as of today,i really hope this is a piss take.

Was looking through our club pages on the bbcs 606 site and there is a Walsall fan on it asking if we have heard of one of their players who has just been released who is according to him joining us Steve Jones 34 year old injury prone ex Northern Ireland international forward,looked him up on wiki and its got him down as having joined us as of today,i really hope this is a piss take.

I remember we signed an injury prone 30 something that had just been released from Sheffield Wednesday. That didn't turn out too bad. :huh: