Well V Ddee Utd (x2)

Welldaft Mk1

Today, for the first time since the McGhee 4-3-3 with Porter, Rossco and Clarky, I thought we showed glimpses of a great attacking side, Blackman, Murphy, Gow plus the Hump oot wide looked pure class at times.

Yip. Only worrying thing is that 2 of the front three could be gone in 3 months time.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb result today, and it didn't matter that our goal were both oggies, made it funnier in fact! Another great start and then falling out of it early in the second half again though, we need to stop doing that. Let's try going 2 or 3 up for a change!

The ref seemed a bit inexperienced and at times the game almost got away from him. Not sure how Goodwillie and Daly avoided a card for persistent fouling today, lots of other wee pernickity things too, and that suited United.

Let's hope we can do the biz on Tuesday night too!

I think the thing with Gow was that there were long spells of the game he wasn't seen.

Thats because he was being used for spells as an out and out centre forward which he never will be.

A good win today but some poor defending could have cost us. We played well in spells but didn't have the killer touch in front of goals - we just can't seem to get the striking pairing right can we? Blackman played well but at times was a bit greedy.

I felt United let us all down. As expected they were very physical and cynical but at time seemed to be happy to adopt spoiling tactics to stop us from playing.

I think that was United's first away defeat to a non OF team for about 18 months?

3rd place and still going strong - happy days.

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like we could have a real player on our hands in Alan Gow? His first touch is excellent, he held the ball up well and some of his passes were excellent that would have on other days could turn out to be game winning, add that to his shot in the first half where the technique was excellent and i'd be offering him an extended contract tomorrow before someone with more resources takes him off our hands. He was slightly rusty today admittedly but once he gets a few games behind him he will without doubt be the creative spark that we'v been missing.

AT LAST !!!

A well fan with a brain! I applaud you :nod:

Some of the stick he took from the East stand today was a fucking disgrace!

Anyone else hear the East Stand side linesman complain to a steward about the "inappropriate" level of abuse he was receiving in the 2nd half???

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a club statement telling us we are not allowed to shout at the linesman in future. The guy was a fucking donkey and deserved all the abuse thrown at him.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a club statement telling us we are not allowed to shout at the linesman in future. The guy was a fucking donkey and deserved all the abuse thrown at him.

i must admit when he made the desision not to give the corner i ripped into him and diddnt hold back, i even lost my voice for a while after.in my honest opinion, if they make such a rediculous call then they need to be prepaired to take the abuse along with it. as a football fan im sick and tired of the referees making such obvious mistakes week in week out with nothing being done to correct it, it seems we are the only country that has such a big problem with officials.

to sum up... if they make stupid mistakes constantly and cant take the abuse they get for it then quit, it comes with the job title.

Totally agree about the linesman and the ref.

Both of them were well out of their depth today and it clearly showed.

they were either

1. Cheats

or

2. abslutley totally useless at what they were employed to do today.

Simpy not good enough and if that is what the referees association deem acceptable, then no matter what happens with league reconstruction, Scottish football is on its death bed.

if that ref and linesmen had made those decisions in tomorrows OF game then they it would be all over the papers / tv / radio /internet. In fact there would have been reporters phoning everyone individually to make sure they knew how bad it was.

AND they deserved EVERY single thing that was shouted at them today. in fact I think they got off lightly.

Feckers.

Not for a second saying the referee had a perfect performance but that above post was harsh.

Thought he tried to let the game run and as a result he missed a couple of fouls. But he also gave a couple our way after howls of derision from our fans. Think a couple of things happened that a more experienced referee may have clamped down on but for a 'rookie' I think he showed more promise than some and he certainly gave me the impression he understood the game which some, like Dougie McDonald, clearly don't.

Linesman - total fanny.

it seems we are the only country that has such a big problem with officials.

We really aren't, Scottish officials are no better or worse than any others IMHO... we just get to see the not so good ones more often, whereas we only tend to see the top officials from other countries in action. And even at that, there's never any shortage of shocking decisions in the likes of the World Cup or the Champions' League, where supposedly only the very best officials are taking part.

Thought he tried to let the game run and as a result he missed a couple of fouls.

He missed a lot more than a couple Tweed - well into double figures in my book. Refs are entitled to make mistakes but this ref made a lot more than most. Rookie refs have to learn but he is clearly not ready for SPL football yet. We should expect the same quality of refereeing as every other side - he would not be considered for tomorrow's OF game.

Decision not to red card Bauben was totally unfathomable. According to the Official site he was going to book the Prince until he realised he'd already been booked. Surely a yellow card offence is a yellow card offence?

A good win today and I reckon we edged it.

A few common themes for today and the season so far IMHO ....

1) Hateley is a great right back and a pish centre mid

2) We don't realise what Keith Lasley does for the team until he's not there

3) We need to sign up Humphrey and Gow on another 18 months right now. None of this fucking about in January

4) Another six months for Blackman would do the trick too

I actually thought the ref was ok today - the east stand linesman was hopeless though.

This is the most pressing issue. We would struggle to compete at the higher ends of the table without his drive, determination, pace and strength.

Getting Blackman ecured to the end of the season is vital.

His Blackburn contract expires at the end of the season. What are the chances of getting him signed up when it does run out or on a pre-contract?

Word is Nick wasn't all that sure about a move up to Scotland but I'm sure that's the same with a lot of English based players when you consider how footie north of the border is viewed and covered by the English media. Most players who do venture north seem to enjoy the experience .Lucas Jutkiewicz would loved to have stayed at Motherwell but we just couldn't afford him ,and I fancy it will be much the same with Nick Blackman, but you never know .

3) We need to sign up Humphrey and Gow on another 18 months right now. None of this fucking about in January

I actually thought the ref was ok today - the east stand linesman was hopeless though.

1) Not pish by any means but RB is by FAR his best position.

2) Spot on. Lasley going off turned the game in Utd's favour. Hope he is ok for Tuesday and he was just taken off for a precautionary measure.

3) We signed Humphrey on a 3 year deal.......and he isn't half way through yet. This issue can wait till the summer imo. I wouldn't rush in to a decision on Gow yet either. Let us see how he performs in November. If he does well then that gives us December to negotiate his contract.

4) Feelers should be getting sent out just now about keeping Blackman till the end of the season. We have NO CHANCE of signing him so this is the next best option for us.

I thought the referee was murder. Truly awful.

Agree with all of this. I'm a bit concerned that Hateley is not going to cut it as a midfield player and the difference in the way we played when Lasley went of was staggering.

I think the thing with Gow was that there were long spells of the game he wasn't seen. When he was involved he was excellent. He has been here for six weeks now? He still looks far from match sharpness. Think Gow is a bit lazy and as such will never realise his potential but his ability to turn and ball control are good for this level. A bit more application and yes we have a player.

Six weeks is actually not a long time in tems of improving fitness. It can be a slow process. A bit of patience yet and we might find we have a real player on our hands. I like Sutton but think that potentially Gow could be on a different level. Did he get a hard time as someone suggested above? Round about me it was all positive.

I'm not Lasley's biggest fan by any means, but you saw what we miss when he wasn't there. For about 30 mins after he went off it was as if we were playing 1 man in midfield, I'm sorry to say it, but Tom Hateley has been a weak link in our team since about Christmas last year, he's just not cut the mustard and at right back I'd much rather see us playing Jonny Page as Hateley has an awful habbit of going totally missing.

I actually thought Hately played pretty well when he moved into the middle. Opinions differ but Im sorry to say I thought Gow was a waste of a shirt yesterday, I will temper that by saying I thought he was our best performer in the second half at Ibrox last week so I am not a Gow basher just for the sake of it, or jumping on any bandwagons.

The ref was a fucking joke, no complaints about the penalty, Craigan broadcast his intention for what seemed like an age before he actually put his upper arm/shoulder on the ball.

I thought Humphrey had a very good game, although would rather see Tam Hately hit the corners, Humps attempts did get better after he wasted the first two, but i would rather see someone we know can get the ball into the box 90% of the time hitting the dead ball rather than Humphrey who you are just hoping he can lift it over the first man never mind put it in the 6 yard box.

A wins a win, onwards and upwards, whilst a midweek win would be great, I would happily sacrafice that right now for guaranteed 6 points in the next two league games.

Mon the 'well!!

PS, took my united mate into Daniels after the match, he was a bit star struck when he saw Sydney Devine standing infront of him at the bar! :rolleyes:

You and me going to differ again big man? Thought Gow was class yesterday. Held the ball up well in the first half and found space in tight areas. prepared to take the ball in and release others. Brilliant 'Faddy' run past 4 defenders in second when he was fouled and DU goalie dived at his feet. Superb strike led to great save. Loads to look forward to from him.

Also noticed once or twice his and other players studs seemed to catch on the new surface and some players were turning awkwardly.

Poor DU performance and without their two wee midfield nyaffs Swansong and Conman they are reduced to feeding the battering ram Nightly and the wee diving chunt Badboaby.

Agree with your take on Hately. He came on to a game second half and drove at them. Great free kick that nearly brought a goal. Wonderful turn that took three of them out before releasing Hump.

It can't be easy to change position mid game and try to play the same game as the man you replace but he did seem to cope well after he settled.

Three points and a cup tie to look forward to-Happy days