389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

FAO Finlay (your post is way too long to quote <_>

I know where you are coming from, however If John Hughes or any other manager came and signed a 3 year contract. If in 18 months he finished 3rd or 4th and won or even got us to a final of a cup and then moved to the championship and as a result got us 200k signing on fee. Would that really bother you ? I would be quite happy with that. We need to start viewing managers the way we do players. If they come in and do a job and then get a move then fair enough.

However, there is a way to go about it and Brown and Mutley handled it the wrong way. If Brown went the first time I would have been disappointed but I wouldn't have grudged him his move but he was a lying twat about it so I can't stand him. Mutley was the complete opposite and courted every move going publicly. If the next manager comes in and does his job successfully and wins his move in a dignified manner then I will wish him well. I'd much rather that than a manager with a mediocre record staying for 5 years or longer.

3rd and a Cup Final is pretty exceptional returns in my opinion however would I be bothered? Probably. A part of me would be wanting him to kick on and get that League Cup win etc. However you mentioned 18 months. The nonsense surrounding McGhee kicked in SIX MONTHS after he joined us and we never got a year out of Brown. Hell, Gannon was being linked to jobs down South, by the BBC amongst others, after about two months up here.

Someone staying for five years doesn't need to be mediocre. Big Tel certainly wasn't. It would be good if we got behind a manager fully (including through the bad) and he committed himself to us for 3 or so years and even when things were going well the desire and loyalty was there to makes things even better.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd and a Cup Final is pretty exceptional returns in my opinion however would I be bothered? Probably. A part of me would be wanting him to kick on and get that League Cup win etc. However you mentioned 18 months. The nonsense surrounding McGhee kicked in SIX MONTHS after he joined us and we never got a year out of Brown. Hell, Gannon was being linked to jobs down South, by the BBC amongst others, after about two months up here.

Someone staying for five years doesn't need to be mediocre. Big Tel certainly wasn't. It would be good if we got behind a manager fully (including through the bad) and he committed himself to us for 3 or so years and even when things were going well the desire and loyalty was there to makes things even better.

Honestly I take your point and agree with alot of what you say especially regarding McGhee. I was only using 18 months as an example by the way :thumbup: . I don't mean Butcher was mediocre but if you compare his record with 3, 7, 5 then it kinda is only because we didn't qualify for Europe :P . What I am saying though is if our manager is wanted buy other teams then that doesn't bother me that much because we are doing something right. The same as when other teams want our players. They must be doing something right too with the exception of probably Derek Townsley <_>

Don't get me wrong it's pish at the time.

I liked Big Tel, but let's not forget that he also bailed on his contract and, as I recall, wasn't exactly up-front about his job hunting activities down-under.

I'd rather have a great manager that moves on in 2 years than one who doesn't attract any attention elsewhere.

I'm a wee bit puzzled at some of the reaction to Derek Adams and Stuart McCall.

Yes, Derek Adams took Ross County to a Cup Final, as did Gordon Chisholm with QOS. But what else did he do? He didn't steer County to promotion for example?

Stuart McCall - he might have played for Rangers, and have a knowledge of English football but his track record at Bradford was undistinguished to say the least.

If you're going to go for an experienced manager with a track record that track record has to be good.

Again I'd reiterate that no-one mentioned so far is an obviously strong candidate.

I'm a wee bit puzzled at some of the reaction to Derek Adams and Stuart McCall.

Yes, Derek Adams took Ross County to a Cup Final, as did Gordon Chisholm with QOS. But what else did he do? He didn't steer County to promotion for example?

Stuart McCall - he might have played for Rangers, and have a knowledge of English football but his track record at Bradford was undistinguished to say the least.

If you're going to go for a an experienced manager with a track record that track record has to be good.

Again I'd reiterate that no-one mentioned so far is an obviously strong candidate.

Spot on and is probably the biggest problem. No one, who we know of that is in contention, is a stick out for the vacancy.

Bring back Jim GANNON, At least we know that he will drop Craigan....to concentrate on his coaching badges.

Joking aside would pretty much take anyone really other than the bunch mentioned on the thread, why dont we have a punt on Paul TROLLOPE...just lost his job at Bristol Rovers... more or less the same standard as Motherwell.. he will have some good contacts in the lower leagues which we will need come JAN 2011.

Bring back Jim GANNON, At least we know that he will drop Craigan....to concentrate on his coaching badges.

Joking aside would pretty much take anyone really other than the bunch mentioned on the thread, why dont we have a punt on Paul TROLLOPE...just lost his job at Bristol Rovers... more or less the same standard as Motherwell.. he will have some good contacts in the lower leagues which we will need come JAN 2011.

I know people like to overestimate the quality of the English Lower Leagues, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that the 21st team in League One is the same standard as Motherwell. And Trollope is the man who put them there.

I like John Hughes as I think he is a character and his interviews are generally a laugh due to the amount of cliches he uses. However, he's one of those guys that you like listening to but you don't want anywhere near your own club as it'd more than likely turn into a disaster!

Pretty much agree with this.

The best candidate mentioned so far by a mile is Jimmy Calderwood.

I don't know if he has ruled himself out in the last day or so but the last time I had the radio on they were saying he was interested in the job but wanted to be approached rather than putting in a CV.

Calderwood is a good choice and i like him!

But as Finaly and everyone else has said there is no standout appointment

I have all the faith in the world for JB that he will pick a belter of a gaffer but the ones that are being thrown about does not fill any of us with excitement

Pretty much agree with this.

The best candidate mentioned so far by a mile is Jimmy Calderwood.

I don't know if he has ruled himself out in the last day or so but the last time I had the radio on they were saying he was interested in the job but wanted to be approached rather than putting in a CV.

Calderwood needs money to build bud. We've none....... I know you like your stats (check them out)

Jimmy Calderwood would be a disaster, he can fuck right off if he is even interested, please ffs stay away from him Motherwell.

Why should we all of a sudden want a manager of our club that we have slagged and given abuse to for years. He is a wee fat, tango bastard who hasn't a clue or he'd be in a job, and i would not welcome him at our club. We need someone different and none of the same old shite that we get linked with every year.

Jimmy Calderwood would be a disaster, he can fuck right off if he is even interested, please ffs stay away from him Motherwell.

Why should we all of a sudden want a manager of our club that we have slagged and given abuse to for years. He is a wee fat, tango bastard who hasn't a clue or he'd be in a job, and i would not welcome him at our club. We need someone different and none of the same old shite that we get linked with every year.

We slagged him off because of his fake tan, not because of his managerial ability. The guy has had 14 straight years' employment as a manager, so whether you like him or not, there are plenty of people who have some faith in his ability.

I am not overly impressed with any of the usual suspects mentioned here. Hughes is tactically naïve. Collins will divide the dressing room. McGlynn has built his success on signing Hearts youngsters and rejects. I suspect he will not have the contacts to progress us. Calderwood has built his success on bigger budgets than we will give him. Look at the state Dunfermline are in now. McCall failed at Bradford but no doubt will be punted by some in the media due to his Ibrox connections.

If it was to be any of these I would go for Calderwood only because he has shown that he can alter games with his tactical changes.

What will get me interested will be an appointment of someone we have not heard of. McGhee, Gannon and Brown were all different. There appointments were refreshing and had us all guessing what their approach would be. And credit to Boyle I thought they were all successful. ( the football in McGhee's first season was some of the best I have seen and Gannon made some great signings)

'Main' thing for me mate is someone who is going to stabilise the club and (hopefully) move us forward at the same time. Don't care if I like them or not to be honest.

I am not overly impressed with any of the usual suspects mentioned here. Hughes is tactically naïve. Collins will divide the dressing room. McGlynn has built his success on signing Hearts youngsters and rejects. I suspect he will not have the contacts to progress us. Calderwood has built his success on bigger budgets than we will give him. Look at the state Dunfermline are in now. McCall failed at Bradford but no doubt will be punted by some in the media due to his Ibrox connections.

If it was to be any of these I would go for Calderwood only because he has shown that he can alter games with his tactical changes.

What will get me interested will be an appointment of someone we have not heard of. McGhee, Gannon and Brown were all different. There appointments were refreshing and had us all guessing what their approach would be. And credit to Boyle I thought they were all successful. ( the football in McGhee's first season was some of the best I have seen and Gannon made some great signings)

Good post.

Regardless, I expect the wait is coming to an end. The manager should be in place by Wednesday/Thursday at the latest. There will be two or three names heavily linked to the job by Monday, come Tuesday the rumours will be rife regarding who has the job.

We slagged him off because of his fake tan, not because of his managerial ability. The guy has had 14 straight years' employment as a manager, so whether you like him or not, there are plenty of people who have some faith in his ability.

Which club is he manager of just now?

He left Kilmarnock a while ago, and who was he with before that?

That does not equate to 14 straight years employment.

He is not that good or he would have a job.

Please stay away from this guy, full of his own importance.