389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

yea i no my mistake

I'm not so sure that you do...

Back on topic, I'm going to trust Boyle on his appointment. The last few choices weren't too bad. If that means someone like Alan Stubbs, so be it. Hopefully he has good contacts and can secure us some hidden gems from England.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even been quoted this time. Luc's going to one of those "always talked about, never happened" things. Shame, he'd be my pick...

i agree luc wouldve been my pick id rather we took a punt on him than appoint someone with no managerial experience or duds like hughes or mcpherson

Archibald's time at East Fife saw the club gain promotion to the First Division, and was also notable for the acquisition of Trinidad and Tobago internationalists Arnold Dwarika and Craig Demmin. However, he was sacked in 1996 and retired to his home in Spain for the next few years, working on a number of business interests, including as a football agent.

In 2000 Archibald re-emerged in Scottish football when he mounted a bid to buy financially troubled First Division club Airdrieonians. Archibald was allowed to take over the running of the club after being awarded preferred bidder status by the administrators. He installed himself as manager and, using his contacts in Europe, introduced a contingent of Spaniards and other foreign players to the squad.

Although Airdrie supporters were impressed by Archibald and the skills of the imports, he ultimately failed to conclude the purchase of the club, leading to the departure of himself and the foreign players in March 2001, and causing them to narrowly miss out on relegation to the Second Division. They had also been expelled from the Scottish Cup for failing to fulfill a fixture. Airdrieonians went out of business on 1 May 2002, although a new club called Airdrie United was formed and took Clydebank's place in the Scottish Football League.

why doesn't everyone just wait and see who the manager is gonna be instead of all the pointless guesses on here

:)

Totally agree so far it seems we have had every out of work manager in the world linked with the job. The new man will be in place for christmas, so relax it will be an easy start for him, back to back old firm games :nod:

Totally agree so far it seems we have had every out of work manager in the world linked with the job. The new man will be in place for christmas, so relax it will be an easy start for him, back to back old firm games :nod:

Does the whole idea of a forum fly past you. So what you're saying we should only have threads on what? After Match Reports and After Press Release discussion? Everything else we talk about in just nonesence...

None of the names appeal to me. Gus MacPherson would make me greet. Don't fancy Calderwood. Although thought Hughes was a cock. What exactly have Stubbs and Sutton ever done in management?!?!? I'm not for an ex-Old Firm player for cutting their teeth here.

Fuck knows. I almost don't care anymore.

Why do people get hung up on "what have they done before" shite? OK our past for that is not great, but it does work! If that was the way of thinking for some clubs, then their would never be new managers in the game.

Look at it this way, Mourinho, had done fuck all in football as a player or coach (hence his nickname according to Barcelona fans) before he went into management - look at him now! Same with Wenger, if someone didn't take a chance on him, or Alex Ferguson, or Walter Smith!

If the likes of McPherson, Calderwood, Hughes or McGhee got the job I'd be devastated.

While none of us know much about the coaching ability and tactical awareness of Stubbs, I'm far more excited about the prospect of a left-field appointment than the aforementioned names. Obviously Stubbs is a risk but we have scope to take a risk at the moment. From what we have seen of Stubbs as a player and personality over the years, he strikes me as someone who may well have the attributes to make it as a manager.

In years gone by, similar threads on here have seen folk rule out the the likes of Lambert and Coyle due to their lack of experience and unknown ability. Look at the pair of them now.

Have to agree with this, ok Alan Stubbs may be untested and raw into the job but everyone has to start somewhere.

I was talking to a brother-in-law of a past Well player that’s still very involved at Fir Park at the weekend, story is that John Boyle is very friendly with Everton Chairman and Davie Moyes, Stubbs is very highly rated at Everton.

Everton Chairman contacted Boyle and put Stubbs forward for our job, Everton are keen to get him some real experience and keep close tabs on him, possibly looking on him as a future Everton manager.

Boyle is very keen on us developing strong links with Everton – loan deals, feeder club etc.

Worked well with Ruddy and Luc.

This has the potential to work out very well for us if we take a chance.

Have to agree with this, ok Alan Stubbs may be untested and raw into the job but everyone has to start somewhere.

I was talking to a brother-in-law of a past Well player that’s still very involved at Fir Park at the weekend, story is that John Boyle is very friendly with Everton Chairman and Davie Moyes, Stubbs is very highly rated at Everton.

Everton Chairman contacted Boyle and put Stubbs forward for our job, Everton are keen to get him some real experience and keep close tabs on him, possibly looking on him as a future Everton manager.

Boyle is very keen on us developing strong links with Everton – loan deals, feeder club etc.

Worked well with Ruddy and Luc.

This has the potential to work out very well for us if we take a chance.

I want the next Motherwell manager NOT the next manager of Everton or any other club.

I want the next Motherwell manager NOT the next manager of Everton or any other club.

If Everton rate him management material, surly they know what they are talking about.

As past experiences have proven any manager is only going to be a short to mid term appointment for us anyway so can we not use this to our advantage and in getting Stubbs also getting a chance of Premiership quality youths, reserves etc coming up to us on loans, must be a good thing. The majority of star players we have had over the last few seasons have been loans, why not look on the opportunity this may give us.

If he is wanted by Everyone after spending a few years at well then he must have been doing something right! Might well be worth a punt on Stubbs! As had been said before managers need to start somewhere and as long as he ties himself down on a contract then it might not be a bad appointment! At least he has a good grounding at Everton!

I liked Stubbs as a player as was honest, hardworking and came across well in interviews! All good trait

I don't like the sound of Chris Sutton tho, seem to fail miserably at Lincoln! Maybe as a number 2 not as a number 1! plus he was a cheating dirty big bastard of a player!