Bookies Investigate Red Card

Mic2904

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things in this whole sage should be addressed going forward whatever the outcome.

First of which is any bookmaker or their collective organisation should not release any information into the public domain until they have conducted an enquiry themselves and involved the police if it is felt it should be escalated.

They should seriously look at limiting the types of betting to those that can't be influenced easily by players.

The bookmaking industry is alone in happily taking money off punters but when anything goes wrong in terms of paying out, they then limit your activity and question your perceived luck or ability.

As for those who suggest he wants to go home for Christmas, then as far as I understand he would still have to report for games (albeit in a suit and sit in the stand) and maintain his fitness through training as normal.

As for the incident in question:

As Al has pointed out, there seems minimal financial gain for Jennings risked against the potential end his career if guilty.

Anyone could see the growing frustration of the Motherwell players (look at the reaction of the normally mild mannered Blackman when he was booked). Frustration always leads to indiscipline.

The odds (10-1) seemed excessive based on the occasion, the past 2 months in Scottish football and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't shorten when the first booking was made after 6 minutes.

I hope Jennings takes them to court for deformation. I heard Tommy Sheridan is considering being a lawyer as a career.

i agree that the bookies/media have been out of order.

however i'd say the most likely outcome is...

jenno has decided to get himself sent off so he can get his bad wisdom tooth out. someone in liverpool has heard about that idea and bet a red and there you go.

did no one else get alarm bells set off by painkillers/operation chat?

Thing is, Its very different getting yourself sent off (a'la ramos and alonso) and doing it as part of a gambling scam. The latter is very hard to prove even if jennings did want a red. You have to have clear evidence that the bet and the red were co-ordinated. To me that can only be conclusively proven with an email, recorded phone call etc.

I don't think we've got anything to worry about at all here.

Ooops - Hope The Recors are talking shoite then. This bastard is growing arms and legs

Motherwell star Steve Jennings facing indefinite ban while probe into suspect betting continues

Dec 22 2010 By Keith Jackson

STEVE JENNINGS is facing the nightmare scenario of being banned indefinitely from all football after the SFA launched its own probe into his controversial red card.

Record Sport can reveal that explosive new evidence - which was handed to the SPL by a leading bookmaker - has now been passed to SFA chief executive Stewart Regan.

And the powers that be are so concerned by the content of this smoking gun they have al ready begun privately discussing the possibility of suspending Jennings for as long as it takes to establish the facts.

Jennings has been at the centre of a scandal since bookies first announced they were to investigate suspicious betting patterns surrounding Motherwell's live TV clash with Hearts last Tuesday.

On the day of the match one individual based in the Liverpool area opened a new account with Blue Square to place two £100 bets on a Well player being red-carded.

The same person then attempted to make further big money punts, only to be barred from doing so by the firm's online security filter.

Bosses at Blue Square recently passed new information to the SPL to explain why they believe the investigation must be stepped up to the next level. And these details are now being probed by Regan and the SFA .

Record Sport understands SPL chief execut ive Nei l Doncaster has seen enough to be worried about the possible damage done to the league should Jennings play again without first having his name cleared.

The player - who has been hit with a three-game ban - could return to action after Well take on Hamilton on January 1, leaving Regan little more than a week to decide what steps, if any, to take.

The case is being described as extremely sensitive but if it is decided Jennings should not be allowed to play on while the investigation is ongoing, Regan will have two options.

The SFA could suspend the player's registration - a move that would blackball him from football - or they could put pressure on his club to put the Scouser on gardening leave pending the completion of their investigation.

A Hampden source said: "There is information floating around which would make you feel there is more to this case than meets the eye. There is even the possibility of police involvement.

"The SPL would rather any player in this position be suspended pending the outcome of an investigation, rather than be allowed to continue to operate in the league. But that decision will have to be made by the SFA .

"The guy is innocent until proven guilty but at the same time there is an obligation to make sure the integrity of the game is not compromised."

On the day of the match one individual based in the Liverpool area opened a new account with Blue Square to place two £100 bets on a Well player being red-carded.

The same person then attempted to make further big money punts, only to be barred from doing so by the firm's online security filter.

As I said earlier in the thread, talk of Blue Square accepting £500 at 10/1 on a brand new account was a load of shite.

bookMAKERs think they were scammed as Stella English became Lord Sugar’s new Apprentice.

News of her victory is thought to have leaked out days before the show’s final aired last night.

Paddy Power stopped taking bets amid rumours of a sting.

The bookie thinks the scam has cost the firm thousands.

A Paddy Power source said: “We were given the impression the result was not filmed until shortly before it went out on air so we opened a book. But all of a sudden bets were flying in.

“One punter appears to have opened three accounts and was betting £300 each time.

“Those sort of sums show he must have known what he was doing and we were caught out.

“We genuinely believed the result was being announced very close to transmission.

“It is like someone moved the goalposts.”

I wonder if they will go after Alan Sugar or the BBC in the same way they seem to be going after Steve Jennings

And they still conveniently ignore the possibility of the ref being in on it.

:doh:

That's it for me. The press can't go after one(Jenno) without going after the other(The Ref). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that it comes out that the ref was in on it. That's if, anything ever comes of it. Maybe our press officers should be trying to get the relevant journos to put bit after bit into their articles with the regards to potential involvement of O'Reilly in any betting scam.

This story is becoming worrying. The only way I can see anyone planning a red card beforehand would be either Jennings knowing O'Reilly was a bawbag and what names would wind him up, or it was O'Reilly himself.

If Jennings is to be suspended, pending further investigations, there has to be substantial evidence linking him to the bets.

How can the SFA source talk about integrity when he reveals confidential information regarding the incident to a national rag?

Why is the referee not being suspended pending investigations? Without his card, there is no incident.

Why is the players union not speaking out in support of one of their members? The referees were quick to close ranks when the referees integrity was questioned.

If the bookie feels a fraud has taken place, why is the police not involved at this stage?

If they suspend the player at this stage his career is finnished, as mud sticks.

How does the SFA know that another player was not involved? Any other day Craigan could have walked for a couple of assualts on templeton.

The handling of this incident by all parties is totally unprofessional and to be honest pathetic.

I just wish I knew that BS were offering 10/1 on a Motherwell player being sent off.

When watching the game on TV, I turned around as soon as Jennings was shown his yellow card early in the game, that he'd probably be sent off.

So I'd imagine if any of his mates saw that happening they might have thought the same themselves. Without any collusion.

I still don't understand how they can think Jenno is guilty. The way he got sent of was so innocuous that most other days he might not even have got a yellow.

Either the papers are talking shite or they have full proof evidence he is guilty.

As for the ref. I think the papers are too scared to even mention 'referee' and 'match fixing' in the same sentence - or they don't mention it as they have evidence on Jenno.

Either way the young lad has been treated disgracefully in this whole sorry cluster fuck.

Even if Jennings is 100% in the clear with this then the way that the whole thing's been handled in the media will no doubt ensure that there's no way Jennings will renew his contract with us and head South in the summer (at the latest).

Blue Square are offering decent odds on that happening as well!!!!

Even if Jennings is 100% in the clear with this then the way that the whole thing's been handled in the media will no doubt ensure that there's no way Jennings will renew his contract with us and head South in the summer (at the latest).

Blue Square are offering decent odds on that happening as well!!!!

But it's been UK wide media - SSN etc. There's nothing to say this is a 'scottish' thing