Bookies Investigate Red Card

Mic2904

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any older posters remember some Motherwell players being involved in match fixing allegations in the 50s? :thumbup: My Uncle used to bring this up when ever football gambling was mentioned.

I've just finished Ian St John's book, and he talks about this.

Biggest win of the season I'm sure, in a match they were "supposed" to lose.

I still don't understand how they can think Jenno is guilty. The way he got sent of was so innocuous that most other days he might not even have got a yellow.Either the papers are talking shite or they have full proof evidence he is guilty.As for the ref. I think the papers are too scared to even mention 'referee' and 'match fixing' in the same sentence - or they don't mention it as they have evidence on Jenno.Either way the young lad has been treated disgracefully in this whole sorry cluster fuck.

Agree and disagree with this.

The way this situation has been handled has not been ideal from a Motherwell F.C. and Steve Jennings perspective. We know how incompetent the people in power in Scottish Football can be etc. but imo there simply must be more to this that certain organisations (SFA, Motherwell, Player's Union, Press) are in the know about but can't legally comment on. For the nods and winks to be so heavily pointed towards Jennings I would not be surprised if there is something that hasn't been declared yet that further implicates him.

For betting companies to be so vocal, so early, regarding winning bets that financially were a mere drop in the ocean to them was a major point straight away. I'm doing my best to be as impartial as possible in all of this.....there must be a reason that the ref hasn't been drawn in to the question. Legally, there must be I mean. The main reason I can come up with is there is so much circumstantial evidence pointing in the direction of Jennings that it is obvious (or as obvious as it can be without the very hard to obtain concrete evidence) he is implicated.

Again things are very quiet from all parties on this. Too quiet. This will not go away. How Jennings reacts when/if he is cleared will be interesting. If he isn't cleared (an option that is likely) the consequences will be very brutal for him.

Reasoning his 'guilt' in my head I could only really think of the one scenario.

(If he is guilty) Jennings could have told friends/family/ex team mates etc. his intention of getting sent off in the match. People who knew this could stick a few quid on it and get a very nice bonus for Xmas. I dont miss many 'Well games home or away and to the best of my memory I don't recall him getting subbed many times, if at all. On that basis, barring injury, he has 90 minutes to 'play with'. Jennings gets booked very early on (to set up the red) and walks a tightrope for the rest of the match. Very similar situation to Michael Higdon at New St Mirren Park a few weeks ago.....not that I'm saying he is guilty of such an offence :dash2: Now Jennings having set up the 'scam' knows he has to walk ANYTIME before the 90. As the game progresses we are getting beat and Jennings obviously doesn't want this to happen. He stays on the park for as long as possible but 'bails out' (as he has planned) near the end knowing full well that he 'has' to do it and that this is the action which has pretty much guaranteed the defeat......hence the locker room frustrations.

Very few things a footballer can 'guarantee' on a football park. Scoring a goal? Scoring an own goal? Winning a match? Losing a match? All these rely on other players to a certain extent.

Giving away a penalty or getting sent off are the two where you can pretty much rely on yourself and yourself alone. The former is much harder than the latter........especially if you are a central midfielder.

That's it for me. The press can't go after one(Jenno) without going after the other(The Ref). It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that it comes out that the ref was in on it. That's if, anything ever comes of it. Maybe our press officers should be trying to get the relevant journos to put bit after bit into their articles with the regards to potential involvement of O'Reilly in any betting scam.

How can they go after the ref?

Motherwell have said they aren't going to appeal the red card and Jennings held up his hands and apologised to the ref after the match. I would suggest that pretty much leaves the ref in the clear.

How can they go after the ref?

Motherwell have said they aren't going to appeal the red card and Jennings held up his hands and apologised to the ref after the match. I would suggest that pretty much leaves the ref in the clear.

My balls it does. If he was doing his job in anyway competently, Kyle, Craigan, Lasley, Blackman, Stevenson would have been sent off for similar offences.

Bookies are notoriously touchy when they feel they've been stung, but can also be a bit lazy about setting odds. I would suggest 10/1 for a red card in a game between Motherwell and Hearts, indeed in any game, a pretty good bet. About 20 years ago there were a couple of guys in England who calculated that the chances of a professional golfer hitting a hoe in one in tournament play was pretty short. So they asked a few bookies the odds on a hole in one in the majors and got odds as long as 100/1 they toured the country putting bets on all over the place and made a fortune but the bookies screamed "Fix" but as the guys said we asked for the odds and you gave us them, we didn't set the odds you did. Try betting on a hole in one in next months Masters and check the odds you get.

I would hope that the bookies are overeacting to a few punters who spotted what they thought was a good deal and tried to earn themselves a wee Christmas bonus.

My balls it does. If he was doing his job in anyway competently, Kyle, Craigan, Lasley, Blackman, Stevenson would have been sent off for similar offences.

I'm not arguing his competency, but in the matter being investigated there doesn't seem to be a case to answer as both Jennings and the club have virtually absolved him of any wrongdoing.

I'm not arguing his competency, but in the matter being investigated there doesn't seem to be a case to answer as both Jennings and the club have virtually absolved him of any wrongdoing.

It doesn't really. If the ref was involved then perhaps he saw the Jennings incident as his ideal opportunity to guarentee his money, seeing as there were no really over the top, dangerous tackles he may have been expecting given Hearts' style of play, history between clubs, Motherwell's manager situation etc. etc.

It doesn't really. If the ref was involved then perhaps he saw the Jennings incident as his ideal opportunity to guarentee his money, seeing as there were no really over the top, dangerous tackles he may have been expecting given Hearts' style of play, history between clubs, Motherwell's manager situation etc. etc.

I am not arguing that might be the case however with Jennings already having held his hands up and apologised to the ref and Motherwell stating they wont be appealing the card, they dont actually have any reason to investigate the referee. People keep asking why they are not looking at the referee, I'm just telling you why, the evidence against Jennings may be flimsy and circumstantial, but it just doesn't exist against the referee.

He may have seen the Jennings incident as an ideal opportunity, I'll give you that, but, as I keep saying, Jennings and the club are not contesting the sending off therefore it's valid. If jennings had said all I did was touch him on the shoulder and asked why we didn't get a penalty, if Motherwell had contested the redcard and called it a disgrace then I dont doubt that the fingers WOULD be pointed at the ref. As it stands there is no case for the referee to answer over the sending off that is why there is no investigation. In truth there isnt even any speculation about the ref except for on this board.

I am not arguing that might be the case however with Jennings already having held his hands up and apologised to the ref and Motherwell stating they wont be appealing the card, they dont actually have any reason to investigate the referee. People keep asking why they are not looking at the referee, I'm just telling you why, the evidence against Jennings may be flimsy and circumstantial, but it just doesn't exist against the referee.

He may have seen the Jennings incident as an ideal opportunity, I'll give you that, but, as I keep saying, Jennings and the club are not contesting the sending off therefore it's valid. If jennings had said all I did was touch him on the shoulder and asked why we didn't get a penalty, if Motherwell had contested the redcard and called it a disgrace then I dont doubt that the fingers WOULD be pointed at the ref. As it stands there is no case for the referee to answer over the sending off that is why there is no investigation. In truth there isnt even any speculation about the ref except for on this board.

While I agree with other folk that this has been handled poorly in the media etc, TheLip69 is spot on here as far as I'm concerned.

How can the SFA source talk about integrity when he reveals confidential information regarding the incident to a national rag?....If they suspend the player at this stage his career is finnished, as mud sticks.

How does the SFA know that another player was not involved? Any other day Craigan could have walked for a couple of assualts on templeton.

The handling of this incident by all parties is totally unprofessional and to be honest pathetic.

Exactly. Also if the player is suspended without having being proved guilty that very risky indeed.

This is sending my blood pressure thru the roof! Seems to be unclear exactly what the facts are. Also seems that it would not really be worthwhile venture for jenninsgs when you way up money lost vs money won from the bets.

it is dragging on too long and unless they have evidence like text message or recorded phone call with jennings actually stating he plans to get deliberately sent off then they have no proof. I do not recall any comments in the media, after the game, casting suspicion on jennings sending off but apparently now it is suspicious????

i tihnk this could quickly and easily be resolved. Take jennnings to doctor and put him under hypnosis. Recors the session. Then

1. use it to tell the bookies and SFA to GTF! and/or sue the bookies asses for lots of money or settle out of court :-)

2. Show it to Jennings and have him make a public statement bringing the episode to a not so beneficial close for motherwell and him.

Next problem!!!!!