John Sutton

El Grew

I agree with that. I don't think taking a salary bump at this stage in his career was greedy. Taking it with a club in turmoil and a track record of late payment of wages, however, was definitely higher risk that most moves.

And anyway who mentioned greedy? I'd take a huge salary jump if I was offered it but I'd do some homework on the company offering it to me. Have done in the past, can't just take someones word for it when it's your livelihood at stake. All the signs pointed to him staying clear of a club run like they are, he took the chance but made a c**t of it. Tough titties.

And anyway who mentioned greedy? I'd take a huge salary jump if I was offered it but I'd do some homework on the company offering it to me. Have done in the past, can't just take someones word for it when it's your livelihood at stake. All the signs pointed to him staying clear of a club run like they are, he took the chance but made a c**t of it. Tough titties.

This. Liked John when he played for us, didn't quite get the Richie Foran style man love that he got from certain supporters but he always did a job for us. He wanted to leave, he wanted to join Hearts and things seemed to have gone tits up. No sympathy from me.

I'm not really too bothered looking back the way at what he was or wasn't offered or whether we should be feeling sorry for him or having a wry wee smirk.

It's what Hearts and he does now that's quite interesting.

Who realistically in Scotland could afford to buy him from Hearts. Can't be many. And are they really going to pay up what could be hundreds of thousands of pounds just to get him off the wage bill? Madnessif they do.

I can't imagine we'd be in any position to offer a return if he was available on a free at some point, with his wages now utilised elsewhere. Would be nice mind.

Although nothing against him but better for us I think he's sitting in the stand at Tynecastle third or fourth choice than banging the goals for one of our opponents in the league. So feel free to take your time to resolve this one Hearts!

I don't wish big John any ill luck and he was entitled to move on to better himself. That said I agree with Fatcalf. Anyone who knows anything about Scottish Football knows about the situation at Hearts. John and his agent would have been well aware of the that. He knew the risks when he signed on the dotted line at Tynecastyle. If you fly with the crows you get shot down with the crows.

Jambo at work says that Jeffries and Brown weren't overly impressed with the big man before they were sacked, wondered when Motherwell were going to send along the real John Sutton. I always liked Sutton good hard working player who could grab 10-12 goals a season. But not that good, he hit a purple patch in the latter part of last season which was the reason Hearts signed him ,his form prior to that was why we were keeping our options open.

Who realistically in Scotland could afford to buy him from Hearts. Can't be many. And are they really going to pay up what could be hundreds of thousands of pounds just to get him off the wage bill? Madnessif they do.

Nobody, but there's always the 'contract terminated by mutual content' route. I give it about a month before Craigy Broon tries that approach.

Nobody, but there's always the 'contract terminated by mutual content' route. I give it about a month before Craigy Broon tries that approach.

My thoughts exactly andI'll always have sympathy for anyone who scores a goal like his at the Scottish Cup Semi and his average goal that kept us in the game versus Hibs 6-6. Two happy, happy memories.

I always liked Sutton good hard working player who could grab 10-12 goals a season. But not that good, he hit a purple patch in the latter part of last season which was the reason Hearts signed him ,his form prior to that was why we were keeping our options open.

Agree with that, and like I said at the time, I think one of the reasons for his purple patch watch our signing of Jeffers. The work he did off the ball was very impressive and opened up all sorts of opportunities for both Sutton and Murphy.

Hearts have struggled up front in recent months and Sutton was never going to magically change that - he's not that type of player.

Jambo at work says that Jeffries and Brown weren't overly impressed with the big man before they were sacked, wondered when Motherwell were going to send along the real John Sutton. I always liked Sutton good hard working player who could grab 10-12 goals a season. But not that good, he hit a purple patch in the latter part of last season which was the reason Hearts signed him ,his form prior to that was why we were keeping our options open.

If that is the case then it is one reason why Vlad was right to punt the two of them. To me this is an admission that they did not know enough about the player they signed and if you are throwing money after players that you have not researched propertly then questions should be asked. If Jefferies signed Sutton on the back of a two/three month purple patch then he is a mug.

Aye he knew what he was getting into alright - a million pound contract over 3 years! I would sit on the bench, train with the reserves for 3 years and pick up the cash every week. Whos the mugs indeed.

Who was the Chelsea player that done the same thing a few years back??

Nae sympathy for him at all.He did play hard and put in loads of work attacking but still managed to get back to help defend ,if a bit one paced But him and his agent went for the big money .......three times his well wages ? ha i hope they are appearance related :whistling: A wage drop and a move north to slot into a crap Dons team is the best he can hope for now. :laugh: Not a well player now sod him .

He'll go to Aberdeen during the 'window' a cert and end of thread as far as im concerned. He wanted away so he's made his bed and all that. :mellow:

Really? From where I was watching Broon didn't seem to rate him that highly and Sutton went on the public record stating that he would probably benefit from his departure. He did.

Something you'd like to share?

Yeah, I'd like to share that I'm baffled on a thread where many things have been posted by many posters, you'd randomly pull that random statement of mine at random.

I post my perception of events the same as everybody else. I have no inside info just a view of how things unfolded at the time.

Hope that's ok for ya.

We offered him the same again and Hearts offered him double - we couldn't afford him then and can't afford to bring him back. He's moved his family through and bought a new house so was obviously committed to the move and it will be a big blow to him. It's not the first time a new manager has come in and not fancied certain players but I can't see that he's done anything wrong.

He did receive better offers down south but didn't want to completely uproot his very young family. Hearts would be the highest paying option to him in Scotland so can't blame him for the move.

Dito