We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

The prospect of european football next season might be the very incentive we need to keep the likes of Hughes and Smith.

It may be what seals the deal when we're fighting for a players signature with some league 1 english team.

Don't underestimate just how important it is, even if we do get there by the back door!

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed it has, and although I'm not a regular paper reader I was of the opinion that the SFA decided that (on the back of Gretna's and St Johnstone's .... edit Qo' South, sorry european adventures), only the Cup winners would represent this country in the UEFA cup amd should that team already be an entrant in the Champions League then the place would be allocated according to an SPL finish.

This indeed was mooted, but Michel Platini, knocked it back stating that this fairytale route is the only chance lower league clubs have and so , they would not sanction such moves :whistling:

I wondered that too. But the two leagues are seperate.

The UEFA fair play league as has been discussed closed end of last month - so Scotland will either be in the top 3 or not as it will proabably turn out to be the case!

But is only the best (or second best to Celtic) or well disciplined club in Scotland who go forward to represent Scotland. I assume therefore that our fair play league runs until the end of the season.

It would be somewhat ironic if Scotland were in the top 3 but we were not in pole in the scottish league. 4 yellow cards did not help, but we should know this week whether Scotland are in line for that extra UEFA cup place. If that is the case then I would not play Klimpl again this season :whistling:

As I posted earlier I checked the news reports on Man City last year and they found out the week after uefa finished counting at the end of april. So it really is a case of waiting till friday to see if Scotland made the top 3.

Fingers crossed

Are you sure?

As remember, last season, Richard Dunne was sent off early in Man City's last fixture of the season. And they weren't sure whether that affected their Fair Play standing, and almost allowed the then nearly relegated Fulham to take the place. That is why Man City sat back and refused to tackle for the rest of the game and ultimately lost 8-1.

Just to wet the appetites of the optimistic among us... complete list of possible destinations if we do qualify through fair play....

Israel, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia, Cyprus, Slovenia, Finland, Latvia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Lithuania, Moldova, Republic of Ireland, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Iceland, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Belarus, Estonia, Azerbaijan, Albania, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Northern Ireland, Wales, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Andorra, San Marino... + the two other fair play qualifying nations.

Short trip to Ireland or Wales... wee package deal to Cyprus hmmm

so basically europe then?

Sure!... if you consider england, spain, italy, france, germany, russia, romania, portugal, netherlands, turkey, ukraine, belgium, greece, czech republic, switzerland, bulgaria, norway, denmark, austria and serbia.... to be part of africa

Radio Scotland just said Scotland have got fair play place and now its between st mirren and us to see who finishes best in our fair play league......

I'd be absolutely speechless if that mob beat us to it. This table is up-to-date but includes the week-end and our four yellows (which don't count as the qualifying point is up to the end of April)....

Soccernet

I imagine Radio Scotland were trawling the net and found this story....(check the date)....

Way, way back........

Bear in mind though that it's not just the card count that is used to determine the UEFA fair play place. Theres loads of other disciplinary things that are taken into consideration.

Respect towards referees and opponents, positive play, fouls, crowd behavior and behaviour of club officials are all taken into account.