We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even if you win, I don't think the Cup winner's deserve a place. It was different when there was a European Cup Winners' competition that could be entered. The UEFA (and its replacement) Cup should be for consistency over a season; not winning 5 games.

In fairness to Ceske and Falkirk - they did not make up the rules. If the Well got to the final - of course it helps if you can beat teams below you in the league or even in another league :lol: then we would more than happily take it and I would not care if someone like Hearts or Hibs missed out if they were sitting 5th in the league.

Even if you win, I don't think the Cup winner's deserve a place. It was different when there was a European Cup Winners' competition that could be entered. The UEFA (and its replacement) Cup should be for consistency over a season; not winning 5 games.

Eh?

The Scottish Cup would be a sham without a European slot. Its bad enough that we have one diddy cup.

Three UEFA Europa League places

In the end-of-year table, Norway lead Denmark and Scotland in the race for three extra places in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League first qualifying round. The standings are drawn up from all European competition matches from the period between 1 May 2008 to 30 April 2009.

The above quote is taken from the Uefa website and refers to the standings back in January.

Does this then mean that the fair play league is based on European games as oppose to domestic games??

Have we actually had any games involving Scottish teams since January??

if we qualified via this route at least we might have a chance of actually winning a game :rolleyes:

But still, the points are only contributed in euro games, and since we ain't got any in europe and haven't for a while then i'd say the chances of this are somewhere between zip and diddly squat

Just so we all know the rules:

Norway head UEFA's interim Respect Fair Play ranking, which takes into account UEFA club and national-team matches up to and including 31 December 2008.

Three UEFA Europa League places

In the end-of-year table, Norway lead Denmark and Scotland in the race for three extra places in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League first qualifying round. The standings are drawn up from all European competition matches from the period between 1 May 2008 to 30 April 2009.

Minimum 25 matches

For the intermediary ranking, only associations having played a minimum of 25 games are taken into account. This cut-off point is calculated by dividing the total number of UEFA matches by the number of national associations.

Criteria changes

The UEFA Executive Committee endorsed a change to the criteria for allocating the additional places reserved to Respect Fair Play winners in next season's UEFA Europa League. As defined in the club competitions regulations, the three places in the UEFA Europa League will automatically go to the three best-placed national associations in the Respect Fair Play ranking, provided they attain an average of 8.0 points or more. This means that contrary to previous editions, there will not be a draw to determine which two national associations will have the right to enter an additional team on top of the outright winners.

Delegates' assessments

The Fair Play assessments are made by the official UEFA delegates on criteria such as positive play, respect of the opponent, respect of the referee, behaviour of the crowd and of the team officials, as well as cautions and dismissals.

Domestic Fair Play winners

The three associations which are allocated an additional UEFA Europa League place will be entitled to enter the club that has won the domestic top-division fair play competition. If this club has already qualified for a UEFA competition, the second-placed team in the domestic fair play ranking may be entered and, should they also have already qualified, the third-placed side would be considered and so forth. It is even possible for a team that has been relegated to the second highest division to qualify for the UEFA Europa League, as a result of its exemplary fair play conduct during the domestic championship, provided of course that they hold the mandatory UEFA club licence.

Eh?

The Scottish Cup would be a sham without a European slot. Its bad enough that we have one diddy cup.

Agreed Lobey. I think its completely right for the Cup winners to get a UEFA Cup place.

There's a very strong argument for runners-up not to qualify in the event that the winners have already qualified granted but the removal of the European place would render national Cup competitions across the continent pointless.

A horrible, sad, grim state of affairs when we are reduced to trawling the UEFA small print. I'd be almost embarassed to qualify through a route like this.

Leroy, sad but true and are you saying that if we did qualify through this method you would be too embarassed to come to our Euro games?

The standings are drawn up from all European competition matches from the period between 1 May 2008 to 30 April 2009.

Anyone know when the final results shall be published, with any potential games that can be included must be completed as of today. So, therefore with the table being unable to change, when shall they be publishing it?

There's a very strong argument for runners-up not to qualify in the event that the winners have already qualified granted but the removal of the European place would render national Cup competitions across the continent pointless.
Why pointless? There were cup competitions long before Euro places were at stake, and it still the only chance of silverware most teams have a sniff at winning. I don't remember turning up at Hampden for the CIS Cup Final thinking "well this is pointless".

Leroy, sad but true and are you saying that if we did qualify through this method you would be too embarassed to come to our Euro games?

Don't get me wrong. I'd still go. I'm not making a one man protest against the Fair Play League or whatever it is.

I'm just not comfortable with the idea of sneaking in through the back door :rolleyes: . Excuse the pun.

Not that it'll happen anyway but I'm man enough to admit we simply aren't good enough to get in this season and good behaviour doesn't warrant such a reward. Same goes for Falkirk right enough who will undoubtedly do sweet FA to enhance Scotlands reputation in European competition.

Why pointless? There were cup competitions long before Euro places were at stake, and it still the only chance of silverware most teams have a sniff at winning. I don't remember turning up at Hampden for the CIS Cup Final thinking "well this is pointless".

Totally agree. I remember a fellow Well fan once telling me that they'd rather lose the Scottish Cup Final and get into Europe than win the League Cup. If I were a Falkirk fan right now, I'd be desperate for us to win the cup, and were we to lose the final, Europe would be very small consolation...

Winning the cup, euro place or not is still something and I agree worth more than just getting into europe on back of being a runner up, but I still think it entirely deserves to have the winner pick up a european place. It does give it something extra and makes for healthy competition. It is embarassing that we've been represented by 1st division teams of late, but only because they showed up the rest of the SPL teams who couldn't make even make it to the final.

Regardless of division status barring the odd exception Scottish clubs outside the old firm have been getting no where in europe for years anyway.

Totally agree. I remember a fellow Well fan once telling me that they'd rather lose the Scottish Cup Final and get into Europe than win the League Cup. If I were a Falkirk fan right now, I'd be desperate for us to win the cup, and were we to lose the final, Europe would be very small consolation...

Was it me who said that? If it was, I've changed my mind now. I always wanted to go abroad to watch Motherwell in Europe - I've done that now, so I would now rather see claret and amber ribbons on the old trophy than anything else. I still think we should get a Euro slot if we did win it though. Not so sure about runner-up.

Frazzle

This has been mooted for a while, I believe Gordon Smith spoke with UEFA and wanted the extra place to go to the next in the league rather than the runner up, but UEFA vetoed that idea.

This has been mooted for a while, I believe Gordon Smith spoke with UEFA and wanted the extra place to go to the next in the league rather than the runner up, but UEFA vetoed that idea.

I must admit that I thought UEFA had agreed to the change this season and that is why there had been so much talk of 5th place getting into Europe.......