2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Agree with Haggischomper, 2 year deals are killing us, as one good season for a player and we get offered peanuts in January and then they go for nothing at end of season. We need to tie up our more valuable assets on new deals now, Randolph, Hutchy, Murphy, etc.

Believe Randy got three year deal initially but this is third year, can't believe no one has enquired about him . . . shhhh

It's finding the balance though.

I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread that every deal has to be done on its own merits.

We will never know what is being offered by the club and what is being demanded by a player and his agent.

There will be players who never in a million years will consider tieing themselves down to a 3 year deal with an SPL club when they can get shed-loads more dough in England.

There will be players who never in a million years will consider coming to an SPL club for just a single season.

It could well be that if we didn't get some of these who have signed a two year deal we might never have got them at all.

I'd suggest that a 2 year deal in many cases will be as good a half-way house as you are going to get between offering the player the security they want whilst retaining the opportunity for a sale if the player concerned has some sell-on value.

The opportunity for a sale is a tiny one, though, and we are failing miserably to capitalise on it resulting in McCall being forced to slash the wage bill by quarter of a million. That has meant the likes of Lawless being punted when he is the type of player we should be looking to develop and sell on. He was young, and would have been cheap but now the Jags are reaping the benefit of our hard work.

The opportunity for a sale is a tiny one, though, and we are failing miserably to capitalise on it resulting in McCall being forced to slash the wage bill by quarter of a million. That has meant the likes of Lawless being punted when he is the type of player we should be looking to develop and sell on. He was young, and would have been cheap but now the Jags are reaping the benefit of our hard work.

Not so sure about that. We have been culling a number of youngsters every year for a long time now. It's a tough game, and guys that show early potential often fail to develop into first team regulars.

In the past 10 years, asy, I can't think of any of those we have let go who have gone on to play at Motherwell first team level or even command a transfer fee elsewhere.

Not so sure about that. We have been culling a number of youngsters every year for a long time now. It's a tough game, and guys that show early potential often fail to develop into first team regulars.

In the past 10 years, asy, I can't think of any of those we have let go who have gone on to play at Motherwell first team level or even command a transfer fee elsewhere.

Lawless is the top scorer in the first division right now and really looks like he could go on to be an excellent player.

What Haggis says is correct. We probably did get rid of players who in a perfect world we would liked to have kept.

Jamie Murphy I think threw a spanner in the works when he refused to sign for Blackpool - I imagine that would have been quite a suprise to Dempster and co.

Fraser Kerr? Didn't we let him go before we got him back on loan?

Fraser Kerr? Didn't we let him go before we got him back on loan?

We didn't 'let him go'. He was scouted by Birmingham City and got a scholarship to their youth academy.

As for Lawless, top scorer in the first division is great, but that isn't a higher level than the Motherwell first team, so my point still stands.

If Lawless goes on to a better level than us or even very well at about our upper level SPL then fair play to him but it really will be about a first in about 25 years someone we've let go has went on to excel. Least that I can think of.

I don't think he was let go because we couldn't afford him, think McCall would have felt he wasn't going to do the business. It isn't like younger players aren't getting a chance that is for sure.

With the board having made it clear that our budget was cut due to the loss of two home games against Rangers, will funds now be made available following the League Cup draw which should make up for a season's shortfall (ignoring TV money). I can't remember the figure we were missing out on from the home games but, assuming their support turns out to make a point, we should be expecting £250k-£300k. I'm sure some of it will be squirrelled away but hopefully it will allow us to bring in one or two out of contract players.

With the board having made it clear that our budget was cut due to the loss of two home games against Rangers, will funds now be made available following the League Cup draw which should make up for a season's shortfall (ignoring TV money). I can't remember the figure we were missing out on from the home games but, assuming their support turns out to make a point, we should be expecting £250k-£300k. I'm sure some of it will be squirrelled away but hopefully it will allow us to bring in one or two out of contract players.

Agreed.

With this cup game, prob TV money to go with it, the Panathiniakos game, TV deal in place and the extra match v Levante, how can we be much worse off from last year???

Stop pissin about n get Faddy signed up!!

Agreed.

With this cup game, prob TV money to go with it, the Panathiniakos game, TV deal in place and the extra match v Levante, how can we be much worse off from last year???

Stop pissin about n get Faddy signed up!!

The only way this is gona happen is if he doesn't get a decent offer from downsouth in the comming days/weeks. which i recon he will sadly!