Straight Question To The Board Of Mfc Re. Rangers Newco

Steve Diggle

147 members have voted

1. 1. Should The NEWCO Be Allowed Back Into The SPL?

I don't think any one is saying professional football would be in danger but standards would drop.

Did you see us beat full time first division side Morton 6-0 with out hardly lifting a finger?

I actually went to 1st division games last season and I think people would get a bit of a rude awakening at the standard of football played compared to the SPL. It is nowhere near SPL level for the most part. Dunfermline Athletic won the First Division by 10 clear points and look how badly they fared this season.

I still don't think that should allow teams to get away with murder. I can't believe people would rather put money before integrity, I just don't understand that argument.

I don't think any one is saying professional football would be in danger but standards would drop.

Did you see us beat full time first division side Morton 6-0 with out hardly lifting a finger?

I actually went to 1st division games last season and I think people would get a bit of a rude awakening at the standard of football played compared to the SPL. It is nowhere near SPL level for the most part. Dunfermline Athletic won the First Division by 10 clear points and look how badly they fared this season.

Footballing standards are not a major issue to be honest. I like watching good football, and enjoy watching Barcelona etc. but the majority of our fans just want us to "Get it up the park" anyway!

Yes the standard may drop a bit if the budgets were cut, but they would be cut across the board (Celtic's would be cut a lot more than anybody else’s) and the league would become more competitive.

A couple of years with a more competitive league and the fans and dare I say TV companies would not be shy in coming back. The standards would rise again.

The SPL have one chance to deal with serial cheaters and then change the balance in Scottish football for good. Goodbye unfair revenue split, goodbye 11-1 voting system. Without their bigot brothers Celtic wouldn't have a leg to stand on when it came to changing the SPL rules for the benefit of all.

If they don't take it then there can be no complaining about the unfair advantage the filth have, especially when within 2/3 years Rangers are back lording it over us diddies.

One chance to change the landscape of Scottish football for the better. Yet nobody wants to take the responsibility.

Even the club who are moving to being completely fan run look unlikely to stand up for what the fans want. We're not stupid, lay it out in Black and white, say "Without Rangers in the league we stand to lose £X,XXX and in real terms that would be these 4/5 players couldn't be kept on and would be replaced by youth team players" Let the fans know what the impact would be, if the vast, vast majority still feel that it is a price worth paying to punish cheating and aid fairness, then that should be the vote cast.

Motherwell have no control over the rest of the SPL and how they will vote, but at least we could move forward with a clear conscience that at least we did the just thing.

• Like 1

The players that turned out for Hearts and Hibs in the cup final last week aren't of the standard they had a few years ago. Do you think that mattered to either set of fans in the build up to the game?

Fans support their clubs, not the players.

1337796163[/url]' post='342870']

The players that turned out for Hearts and Hibs in the cup final last week aren't of the standard they had a few years ago. Do you think that mattered to either set of fans in the build up to the game?

Fans support their clubs, not the players.

Exactly, and if the whole league is cutting back at the same time and we are as competitive as before, no one would give a F*ck if the standard was slightly lower.

The full statement for anyone who hasn't read it yet;

“The club continues to actively participate in the discussions being held at the SPL in relation to the current issues at Rangers Football Club.

“To date we have seen no proposals to transfer a share in the SPL to a “Newco” and have therefore made no decision on how we would vote if such a scenario did arise. We have purposefully avoided making any public statements to date given the uncertainty of the situation and the lack of any clarity on what, if anything, we will be required to vote on.

“Once we have full information we will be able to decide our position. Any speculation on the basis of conjecture only adds to the damage to the game and all of our interests.

“We are well progressed with a plan that is designed to bring both fan ownership and long term financial stability to the club, without reliance on funding from either a bank or a benefactor. We do not believe we can separate the sporting integrity of our league from the sustainable future of our club; the two go hand in hand.

“Any decisions we take as a Board are made in the best interests of the club with a view to achieving our stated aims for ownership and funding.

“In the event that a “Newco” proposal is presented to us, we intend to fully discuss with representatives of our supporters groups, prior to making any decision.”

What I read from that is the club are going to look at the situation as and when it arises, and if the loss of Rangers impacts on our finances in a negative fashion (which it will) they'll vote in favour of a NEWCO coming straight into the SPL.

In my opinion Motherwell FC as a club, or Derek Weir as a member of the SPL board, will vote to keep Rangers in the SPL.

What I actually took from the part that Lobey highlighted was that the club feel any perception of a lack of sporting integrity will impact on our sustainable future.

Or in layman's terms they realise if they give Rangers a free pass, there's a good chance much of the Well Society money disappears..

What I actually took from the part that Lobey highlighted was that the club feel any perception of a lack of sporting integrity will impact on our sustainable future.

Or in layman's terms they realise if they give Rangers a free pass, there's a good chance much of the Well Society money disappears..

Interesting perspective. I must admit, I never read it that way originally, but I can see where you're coming from.

That was my initial interpretation, we could be wide of the mark though.

Credit to the club for the statement, we have dealt with the situation much better than many of our spl counterparts.

Looking at the bigger picture, if they are done for dual contracts then we might not have to vote on a newco.

Not much else they could say, there's nothing to vote on at present and I'm assuming the member clubs know about as much as the fans do of the current situation and likelihood of either an existing or a "newco" Rangers even being in existence next season, let alone in which division or with what sanctions. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Not much else they could say, there's nothing to vote on at present and I'm assuming the member clubs know about as much as the fans do of the current situation and likelihood of either an existing or a "newco" Rangers even being in existence next season, let alone in which division or with what sanctions. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

True, but the content of the statement whilst still a little non committal is a hundred times more professional and considered than the comments of the Killie Chairman, who has made a buffoon of himself and by virtue the club he represents. Plus at least they have made what I believe a nod in the direction of a no to a newco by spinning the sporting integrity line.

True, but the content of the statement whilst still a little non committal is a hundred times more professional and considered than the comments of the Killie Chairman, who has made a buffoon of himself and by virtue the club he represents. Plus at least they have made what I believe a nod in the direction of a no to a newco by spinning the sporting integrity line.

I agree 100% with everything you've said. Whilst not committing themselves totally, and rightly so with lack of complete info, I did get the impression that they would head in the no camp.

It's a well worded statement that a politician would be proud off as it gives no positive answer either way , it also cleverly includes snippets on sporting integrity and financial stability to appease many, be interesting to see how fans are consulted as the vote is usually meant to be taken on the day off the meeting,

I do wonder what prompted the statement