Straight Question To The Board Of Mfc Re. Rangers Newco

Steve Diggle

147 members have voted

1. 1. Should The NEWCO Be Allowed Back Into The SPL?

The league, as far as our club is concerned, is 83% competitive. Take Rangers out of the league and replace them with another club from the 1st Division, and it becomes 92% competitive.

In the interests of Motherwell Football Club, that's a more competitive league Stuart, not less. Unless you're not speaking in the interests of Motherwell obviously......?

I mean, surely when you talk about the "competitiveness" of the league you're not referring to winning it, as you're continually at pains to point out to anyone who'll listen, that we're no match for those 2 clubs?

• Like 4

Pissed off at those comments attributed to McCall

A measure of the man if he doesn't counter them officially and speak out about breaking rules means punishment and integrity is essential in sport along with the fact his quotes as used are just pure and utter dross , that are shown out of context if they have been

The league, as far as our club is concerned, is 83% competitive. Take Rangers out of the league and replace them with another club from the 1st Division, and it becomes 92% competitive.

In the interests of Motherwell Football Club, that's a more competitive league Stuart, not less. Unless you're not speaking in the interests of Motherwell obviously......?

I mean, surely when you talk about the "competitiveness" of the league you're not referring to winning it, as you're continually at pains to point out to anyone who'll listen, that we're no match for those 2 clubs?

Good post mate , McCall has done a good job for the Well but these comments show him to be the blue nose arse lickin Rangers man that he is.

I've already cancelled my 'Well Society membership due to the clubs dithering over the carry on in Govan but I was hoping it would work out for the best and I could rejoin. I think it's now getting to a stage that the relationship between the fans and those at the club could be on the ropes and even if the SPL/SFA do eventually grow a pair and kill them off like they deserve then I will always be in no doubt about what Motherwell FC's stance has been all along. I'm afraid the 'we will consult our fans' line doesn't really wash with me - which is a shame because we've been riding on the crest of a wave for 18 months and I did like those in charge.

Hope I'm wrong obviously but time will tell.

ETA: Oh aye, and no more 'Stuart McCall's Motherwell Army' from me - when they offer you the job for the Newco don't worry about us Stuart.

Did the club ask you for a reason for canciling?

Not that I'm considering it, but are you even allowed to cancel? I thought signing up commited you for the year, so if you cancelled your credit card/direct debit or whatever, you'll still owe.

McCall is a Rangers man. He is speaking as someone who wants to see Rangers stay in the SPL. I don't think we should assume that this is an MFC viewpoint.

I accepted a long time ago that most of the players/managers in Scottish Football have a blue/green bias so his personal views neither surprises or annoys me.

What does annoy me isthat as a spokesman for MFC there is a complete lack of objective truth in what he says. There is two major points in what he says:

1) 'The league is more competitive with Rangers in it.' This statement is true if you are an Old Firm fan (as McCall is), it is not true if you support one of the remaining ten SPL teams

2) 'The SPL would cease to exist without Rangers' This statement is true if he means (as he does) that it will not exist as it currently does in terms of a two team title race each season, a financial structure that greatly favours those same two teams, highly inflated wage structures and a complete lack of integrity.

This statement is not true if Directors/ Managers/Fans are prepared to accept a league that has integrity but that works on a much smaller financial platform. The Scottish First Division is proof that the top division in Scotland can and will still exist.

My point is that what McCall has to say is very subjective and clearly sympathetic to the Rangers cause. As manager of one of the ramaining ten SPL clubs his own personal views have no place in a Scottish newspaper.

I don't think McCall has put much of a foot wrong since arriving at the club, but in making this statement I think he has placed his job as manager of MFC aside and knowingly acted entirely out of step with the fans of the club, and possibly out of step with the club itself. Really disappointing, but there you go. I suspect he was aware of this, but did it anyway, speaking from his heart as an ex-player.

What we need to face up to as a support, despite the excited chatter on P&B about Ranges being dead in the water, is that almost every party in Scotland with a financial interest in the SPL will ultimately bend over and the buns will get through all this relatively unscathed. Most likely Celtic will take the league for a few years, but Rangers will certainly remain in the SPL, as they are or as a newco. It's not right, and the death of that club wold improve Scotland as a country never mind its football, but it's what will happen. mellow.gif

What we need to face up to as a support, despite the excited chatter on P&B about Ranges being dead in the water, is that almost every party in Scotland with a financial interest in the SPL will ultimately bend over and the buns will get through all this relatively unscathed.

That's unfortunately true. Players and managers in the SPL aren't going to want to see their wages cut, which is the likely consequence of kicking out Rangers. While the fans from most clubs want to see the sporting integrity of the league upheld, even at the expense of available playing budgets, the employees of the league obviously want to protect their income.

Stuart McCall is once again spot on with his comments, and I am as I always have been 100% right behind the gaffer .Its a sad day when a guy who brings champions league football to Motherwell is lambasted by his own fans for speaking the truth.

I wonder how Mr McCall feels now that, by their actions in attempting to settle a sporting dispute through a civil court, the team he feels we can't live without has jeopardised Motherwell's future participation in Europe?

Their arrogance knows no bounds, they have cheated all of us for nearly 20 years, destroyed the competitiveness of Scottish football with their Bank of Scotland funded spending sprees, and yet, not one ounce of remorse from any of them, just a continuation of their arrogance and supremacist culture. Although when people like McCall and Alistair Johnston spout their nonsense, who can blame them?

The sooner this cancer of a football club is eradicated from the face of the earth, the better for all decent human beings.

Rant over!!! :wallbash:

I don't think McCall has put much of a foot wrong since arriving at the club, but in making this statement I think he has placed his job as manager of MFC aside and knowingly acted entirely out of step with the fans of the club, and possibly out of step with the club itself.

Not sure about that at all. Its by no means uncommon for a manager to take a different view from his directors and its already happened at a few clubs recently and in the past. Its Stuart McCall's personal opinion. As outlined in the recent public statement the club has not yet formed a view but will consult with supporters' groups.

The fans of MFC have not yet been consulted or voiced their collective opinion and until they have we cannot say for sure whether his views are out of step or not. I for one am not about to prejudge my fellow fans views. I have done that in the past and been totally wrong.

For those who have cancelled their Society membership on the basis of what the club has not yet said or has not done yet - be careful what you wish for. When fans groups, including the Society, are consulted you will not be able to voice your view, and nor should you, as part of that process.

As we have found out today through the Court of Session ruling, this is an extremely complex issue and its quite wrong to jump to conclusions until all the facts are known. We may all have our own personal views but there's no point in being impetuous. The Directors of MFC and other clubs may be legally liable if they take decisons based on wrong or incomplete information and simply rush into a decision.

My point is that what McCall has to say is very subjective and clearly sympathetic to the Rangers cause. As manager of one of the ramaining ten SPL clubs his own personal views have no place in a Scottish newspaper.

Agreed. When you are on the payroll of another member club, any private views should remain just that, private.

1338325668[/url]' post='343630']

Not sure about that at all. Its by no means uncommon for a manager to take a different view from his directors and its already happened at a few clubs recently and in the past. Its Stuart McCall's personal opinion. As outlined in the recent public statement the club has not yet formed a view but will consult with supporters' groups.

The fans of MFC have not yet been consulted or voiced their collective opinion and until they have we cannot say for sure whether his views are out of step or not. I for one am not about to prejudge my fellow fans views. I have done that in the past and been totally wrong.

For those who have cancelled their Society membership on the basis of what the club has not yet said or has not done yet - be careful what you wish for. When fans groups, including the Society, are consulted you will not be able to voice your view, and nor should you, as part of that process.

As we have found out today through the Court of Session ruling, this is an extremely complex issue and its quite wrong to jump to conclusions until all the facts are known. We may all have our own personal views but there's no point in being impetuous. The Directors of MFC and other clubs may be legally liable if they take decisons based on wrong or incomplete information and simply rush into a decision.

I agree it's not uncommon, but neither is it healthy. Saying nothing out of respect for the club he represents was an option.

The point on prejudgement is fine and well made, but I think we all have a fair idea where he majority of well fans stand in this saga. Surely?

I put my reasons into the original e-mail about not attending matches based on rangers being ushered back into the SPL as a Newco etc which extended to not wanting to be part of the well society in such a case. I hadn't paid any of my membership so cancelled before the 1st payment was due.

I did get a reply for leeane dempster which was fair as at the moment there is only speculation to comment on - but I personally still find it a bit hypocritical to ask fans (as always) to stump up for season tickets etc when there is no commitment being made on their part on this issue which affects these decisions.

It now looks like they've shot themselves in the foot enough for suspension/expulsion of their SFA now but that's only cos FIFA are getting involved. My mind made up that if left to Motherwell, chairmen of other clubs, SPL, SFA, that rangers would be playing SPL football next season no matter how much theyre found guilty of. Again, time well tell and bridges could need to be fixed if theyre not completely burned down.

• Like 1

I put my reasons into the original e-mail about not attending matches based on rangers being ushered back into the SPL as a Newco etc which extended to not wanting to be part of the well society in such a case. I hadn't paid any of my membership so cancelled before the 1st payment was due.

I did get a reply for leeane dempster which was fair as at the moment there is only speculation to comment on - but I personally still find it a bit hypocritical to ask fans (as always) to stump up for season tickets etc when there is no commitment being made on their part on this issue which affects these decisions.

It now looks like they've shot themselves in the foot enough for suspension/expulsion of their SFA now but that's only cos FIFA are getting involved. My mind made up that if left to Motherwell, chairmen of other clubs, SPL, SFA, that rangers would be playing SPL football next season no matter how much theyre found guilty of. Again, time well tell and bridges could need to be fixed if theyre not completely burned down.

And how would you feel if the club then went and voted NO in the manner it seems most fans would want them to? Kinda jumping the gun by assuming how the vote would go, is it not? I wouldn't be in the least surprised whatever way the vote went, probably more so if the majority voted NO mind you but sporting integrity does not exist at this level anyway therefore I would fully expect clubs to look after finances first and put our thoughts way down the pecking order.

This would be the final straw for many, understandably so but to me it would just be another in the long line of diabolical decisions to put self interest first, albeit on a totally different scale from before. I do ask myself why I keep going back, and I can't answer, it's just what I do and probably will even if this goes the way I fully expect it to. But it would certainly prove to many from outwith the game what we've been saying for years, that Scottish fitba' is corrupt from top to bottom. Maybe this time the proper authorities might prove themselves fit to run the game. That would be a first.

And how would you feel if the club then went and voted NO in the manner it seems most fans would want them to? Kinda jumping the gun by assuming how the vote would go, is it not? I wouldn't be in the least surprised whatever way the vote went, probably more so if the majority voted NO mind you but sporting integrity does not exist at this level anyway therefore I would fully expect clubs to look after finances first and put our thoughts way down the pecking order.

This would be the final straw for many, understandably so but to me it would just be another in the long line of diabolical decisions to put self interest first, albeit on a totally different scale from before. I do ask myself why I keep going back, and I can't answer, it's just what I do and probably will even if this goes the way I fully expect it to. But it would certainly prove to many from outwith the game what we've been saying for years, that Scottish fitba' is corrupt from top to bottom. Maybe this time the proper authorities might prove themselves fit to run the game. That would be a first.

A quite perfect summing up of the situation your honour :nod:

You're right fatcalf I am being presumptuous, which us unfair as I'm not taking the clubs words at full value. But I'm simply not willing to put my hard earned on a gamble that justice will be done in this whole scenario - especially with such a big chance ahead to sort out all that has went wrong since the formation of the SPL (that's just in my time).

And how would you feel if the club then went and voted NO in the manner it seems most fans would want them to? Kinda jumping the gun by assuming how the vote would go, is it not?

Surely there'll still be season tickets and Well Society memberships available when the club make their position clear, no?

The sensible thing is to wait and see how it all pans out, then put your cash either back in your pocket, or into the clubs bank account.

My understanding is that the Well Society membership will be available anytime and you can upgrade your membership at anytime too. As for the whole debacle that taints Scottish football just now, I don't believe that all the truths will ever come out. Rangers have gained an unfair advantage to the detriment of the other SPL clubs and should be punished by whatever means is available to the authorities. I personally would like to know how much income would be lost if Rangers were to get kicked out, certainly would force the bigots on both sides to find some other way to vent their ill informed anger and hatred.

Personally I will support Motherwell whether Rangers exist or not and will continue to do so. Motherwell needs its fans more than ever just now, unless the unlikley scenario that I win the Euro millions, and we need the steady income that comes from season ticket sales and from the Well Society and from selling on at least one player per year.

Lets see what comes out over the next few weeks, but please do not fail in our support to our club.

Surely there'll still be season tickets and Well Society memberships available when the club make their position clear, no?

The sensible thing is to wait and see how it all pans out, then put your cash either back in your pocket, or into the clubs bank account.

In the case of the Well Society we got there in the end but we needed guarantees to see if it would become workable, if evryone chose to sit tight and see what happens then it might force the whole thing off the agenda. We are gambling with the future of our club way I see it, whereas I would rather guarantee our future first and then deal with whatever happens in the big fiasco that is now unfolding. Totally understand other trains of thought on this but whatever happens I still want MFC to have a future, and for us to have a say in that future the Well Society is the last thing we should be pulling out of. Fight them from within I say and with this initiative we have the perfect chance to do something about it, but we won't achieve anything by withdrawing from it.

• Like 1

A little disappointed with McCall. He has been very good for us this season and exceeded all expectations in terms of our SPL form this past season.

I also understand that having played many years for Rangers it would be naive to think he is more Motherwell minded than Rangers minded. It would be like expecting Craigan to not talk up Motherwell were he Manager at another club, although in saying that he probably would the right thing...

However he is Manager of Motherwell FC now and a lot of the fans (myself included) are angered by the lack of remorse emanating from Rangers FC, for ALL the wrongs they have comitted the past 10-20 so years. There would be a penalty to pay for all SPL clubs if they are suspended or dropped to down to Div 3, but to suggest armageddon is presumptious.

Maybe he is not intelligent enough to temper his comments with our views in mind....