2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Why you so sure Clarkson wouldn't come back Melvin?

Also anyone who didn't think in his last two seasons with us Clarkson wasn't playing at a level of around very good to borderline brilliant needs their head examined. He was scoring goals, creating goals and putting in his usual exceptional level of effort.

I don't recall a huge amount of hype about what he would do in the Championship but just because it didn't work out great doesn't mean he is pish.

I would take him back in a heartbeat if he was fit. Still rather we signed Faddy first mind you!

Would you get rid of him if you were manager? If so who would you replace him with who is better and within our budget?

if we could get £300,000 and effectively turn 1 players into 3 players then i would take it. he has a lot of plus points but also a lot of rough edges and questions marks as to what kind of player he will end up as.

i don't know who to replace him with but i'm not a football scout and don't watch much beyond motherwell and the midweek euro games. i do think it's telling though that billy mckay and niall mcginn signed new deals with ICT and aberdeen after having huge seasons, in previous years they would have had big offers from downs south. obviously english clubs don't think scoring in the spl is that big a deal so it shouldn't be too hard to get someone in who can put the ball in the net.

obviously english clubs don't think scoring in the spl is that big a deal so it shouldn't be too hard to get someone in who can put the ball in the net.

:huh: That must be why every club, in every league, in every division all have players that score 25-35 goals a season... oh wait

:huh: That must be why every club, in every league, in every division all have players that score 25-35 goals a season... oh wait

what?

my point is that the spl is now an easy league to score in. that is why billy mckay hasn't had an offer to get him out of tuetcherville. if mckay had scored 27 goals five years ago he would be looking at a life changing contract. clearly teams down south who can pay more than ICT (which is most of them) don't think that mckay is any better than the guys they have that are scoring 10-15 a season.

this was the most productive year for strikers in the spl ever despite probably having the worst level of talent. i'm confident that anyone of a decent standard will hit the net regularly.

The transfer window is not set in stone. FIFA guidlines state that there should be two windows. One for a maximum of 12 weeks and one for no more than 1 month. These are usually classed as end/pre-season and mid-season.

As for keeping past Europe - his value goes down as soon as he kicks a ball in Europe for this season, especially for a club like Lech Poznan as he will be cup tied.

Don't agree that his value goes down as soon as he kicks a ball.

what?

my point is that the spl is now an easy league to score in. that is why billy mckay hasn't had an offer to get him out of tuetcherville. if mckay had scored 27 goals five years ago he would be looking at a life changing contract. clearly teams down south who can pay more than ICT (which is most of them) don't think that mckay is any better than the guys they have that are scoring 10-15 a season.

this was the most productive year for strikers in the spl ever despite probably having the worst level of talent. i'm confident that anyone of a decent standard will hit the net regularly.

This is the lazy, obvious and wrong argument as to why so many strikers got in or close to 20 goals a season.

There has been a decline in defending but that decline is across the board internationally in football, not just in the SPL and is down to the fact that defenders really don't get away with half of what they used to do to stop strikers scoring.

The main reason is tactical. Many teams play with one striker with someone else playing off the main striker, whereas in the past most teams played with two dedicated strikers. In the those days the pair of strikers shared the chances and goals, now most of the chances fall to one striker.

The number of goals overall hasn't increased but they are more concentrated around a single focal point of the team.

in the spl with 12 teams and 38 league games 7 players hit 20 goals in all competitions.

in the championship with 24 teams and 46 league games only 5 players managed to hit 20 goals iac.

in league one and league two with the same set up only 3 players in each league hit 20 goals iac.

that is clearly a bit of a difference.

If he's cup tied and can't play in Europe it definitely would go down...

Still disagree. if a team is not in a european competiton what difference does it make to them if he is cup tied or not?

Championship side like the looks of him............he plays in europe and turns in a few stormers. Why would his value go down?

Also if he starts to attract attention from more clubs then his value is more likely to increase

I think we have missed out on an excellent signed of Tudur Jones for ICT.

Hibs have signed him and the likely hood is we weren't interested nor could match Hibs offer, however, I think he would have been an amazing signed. Big, strong, good on the ball, box to box player. Always been impressed within him when we played them and Butcher said if he was fit for the full season ICT would have been in Europe.

Anyone else like him?

Also BBC say three SPL have offered to loan Goodwille for the season, are we one of the three?

Hibs have signed him and the likely hood is we weren't interested nor could match Hibs offer, however, I think he would have been an amazing signed. Big, strong, good on the ball, box to box player. Always been impressed within him when we played them and Butcher said if he was fit for the full season ICT would have been in Europe.

Anyone else like him?

Also BBC say three SPL have offered to loan Goodwille for the season, are we one of the three?

No re OTJ as he is not what we need at the moment.

No we aren't seemingly in for Goodwillie, it's Hibs, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen!

No re OTJ as he is not what we need at the moment.

No we aren't seemingly in for Goodwillie, it's Hibs, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen!

Thank F**k for that, Goodwillie is an obnoxious wee fud :nod: who was found out big time at Blackburn, he would bring nothing to the team.

Am I the only one who thinks signing players who aren't performing well in higher leagues would be a negative move? I mean, Goodwillie hasn't exactly got his game at the poorest side in last season Premier League and one of the poorest in the championship this season. I would rather we signed a player from a lower league looking to step up rather than a player from a higher league looking to make a name for themselves again? Obviously there are a few exceptions - McFadden being a note able one. I wouldn't want David Clarkson back anytime soon for selfish reasons, but I would have him back in maybe five years.

As for the chat regarding other SPL players, I'm sure many would agree that few of them are better than what we had last season. But I'm not convinced a player that barely stands out at St Mirren will be able to play equally as well at Motherwell!

Anyone else like him?

I'd say Owain Tudor Jones is the antithesis of what we need. Not because he's not a decent player, he might well be although to be honest he's never really stood out against us that much for me when playing for ICT this season. Probably has something to do with us overrunning them in every game except the 4-3 game. However we already have Lasley who's a ball winning central midfielder. We have Carswell who to me looks like a proper box to box midfielder with a great engine, excellent timing in the tackle and something I love is that he's not afraid to get forward and burst beyond the forwards. He's also 9 years younger than OTJ and probably on half the money he'd be after, would much rather see Carswell get more game time next season. Carswell also seems to be bulking up recently which can only be a good thing as he becomes a first team regular. Add in Paul Lawson who's a sitting midfielder who likes to screen the back 4 and we have enough of these type of central midfielders.

If we're going to be signing another midfielder it would have to be someone to replace the creativity of Law, OTJ has just 2 goals and 2 assists in over 40 games for ICT and in my opinion isn't really what we need. A replacement for Law's creativity is required and also some pace to replace Humphrey if/when he leaves.

Oh and another keeper, and a striker as well if/when Higdon leaves as well. Busy summer for McCall.

Losing Law and potentially Ojamaa id take McGowan... Especially if we get good dough for Ojamaa, signing McGowan would soften a double blow.

Although he is a wee coke head fuck from Airdrie and was caught whilst at St Mirren and Celtic, although nothing has ever reached the papers about it both clubs have done well to hide it in their separate instances.