2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Sutton, Faddy, McManus and gunner neilson and I'd be very happy with the look of the squad. Possibly the one of our strongest teams going into Europe.

Still that would be 11 players released or gone and 9 from 1st team squad, replaced by 7 players all of whom would need to step straight into the 1st team.

Lawson and Vigurs will do just that, but the 5 other signings will also have to.

A sign of the times. 11 players out and 7 in. I am inc Faddy in the leavers for the time being. No doubt he will tell us a minute before KO for the Europa Cup game if he is staying. Fine by me :notworthy:

He obviously has offers, but are they that lucrative and will he be playing every week, which is probably more important to him than a £1000 here or there? Staying with us probably gives him the best chance of getting back into the Scotland line up and into the hall of fame.

McManus

Sutton

Neilson

McFadden

?

?

?

I think we would still need another striker and winger. Definitely need to replace the creativit lost with Law and Ojamma gone.

I hope the Gaffer unearths a few gems.

If we can retain McFadden then for me, it negates the need to replace Ojamaa. Ojamaa played mainly not as a main striker but as the centre of a three in a 4231 last season. This is a role McFadden could fill. So for me, another striker isn't a priority if we get Sutton. A right winger and a defender (ideally like Ramsden, someone who can play full back or centre half) would be where I'd be focusing...

I haven't seen enough of Erwin or Moore to know if they could play a lone striker role were Sutton injured or suspended but given McFadden has played up front on his own for Scotland, I don't see a striker who would be sitting on the bench most weeks as a priority. Not when we have three young guys from our youth team waiting for their chance...

Still that would be 11 players released or gone and 9 from 1st team squad, replaced by 7 players all of whom would need to step straight into the 1st team.

Lawson and Vigurs will do just that, but the 5 other signings will also have to.

A sign of the times. 11 players out and 7 in. I am inc Faddy in the leavers for the time being. No doubt he will tell us a minute before KO for the Europa Cup game if he is staying. Fine by me :notworthy:

He obviously has offers, but are they that lucrative and will he be playing every week, which is probably more important to him than a £1000 here or there? Staying with us probably gives him the best chance of getting back into the Scotland line up and into the hall of fame.

McManus

Sutton

Neilson

McFadden

?

?

?

I think we would still need another striker and winger. Definitely need to replace the creativit lost with Law and Ojamma gone.

I hope the Gaffer unearths a few gems.

The creativity will come from Vigurs and hopefully Faddy if he stays.

It's pace we need

Kerr looked really decent when he first signed but fell away after getting roasted up at Aberdeen by Fraser and Hayes!

He then had a few crazy moments but I would be inclined to give him a chance to pick back up again, hopefully to some of the promise he showed.. Versatile aswell fir Cb and rb and prob a cheaper option than Saunders and Hateley!

Plus the size of our squad I'm not knocking back any additions!

I, like others, thought we'd miss Jennings. But did we? Given we finished second, probably not as much as we thought we would. With Lawson, Lasley and Carswell on the books, we don't really need him now. We need to be looking at more creative players.

Jennings was a good player but I think some of our supporter mistook their affection for him for ability on Jennings part. We were much better without him last season than we were the previous season with him.

He works hard, tackles, puts in a power of work but really he has nothing else in his locker. No flair, no goals, no pace, no pass, he's what Cantona once called a 'water carrier'. Teams need a player like that sometimes to hinge the better players around but as you've pointed out we don't need another defensive central midfielder.

• Like 1

Cant agree with you there YB. There were several games last season where las was being asked to do the job of 2 men and on most of those occasions we were fortunate not to be overrun by the opposition. Jennings had his failings but was definitely missed for his abilities in the middle of the park. I, for one would have had him back at the drop of a hat, but now we have lawson on board it's irrelevant.

• Like 1

Jennings was a good player but I think some of our supporter mistook their affection for him for ability on Jennings part. We were much better without him last season than we were the previous season with him.

Hardly. We secured 1 more point last season than 11/12 season and you have to remember that includes the 7 points we took of Dundee which we wouldn't have taken off Rangers.

We may have scored more goals this season but we were ridiculously top heavy and often left our defence exposed. That's backed up by the fact that in Jennings last season we had the joint best clean sheet record out side the Old Firm with 15. Last season only relegated Dundee kept less clean sheets than Motherwell.

I think we got away with not replacing Jennings due to the strength of our attacking options and McCall adopted a you score 3 we'll score 4 approach. Next season we won't get away with being so gung-ho as we're unlikely to have the same attacking quality at our disposal and I think the signing of Lawson suggests McCall realises this.

We have been more attacking and better to watch last season but in my opinion we were a better all round unit with Jennings in the team.

• Like 2

Absolutely all of your summary of Jennings.

I'm not gonna argue he was Messi - but you've quite clearly gone for the David Blunkett assessment

So he was a goalscorer and creative player with bags of pace and a defence splitting pass? That we went backwards without him last season, playing poorer football in his absence?

We were a far better team with Law-Lasley than we were with Jennings-Lasley. It's not even an argument.

So he was a goalscorer and creative player with bags of pace and a defence splitting pass? That we went backwards without him last season, playing poorer football in his absence?

We were a far better team with Law-Lasley than we were with Jennings-Lasley. It's not even an argument.

Correct I'm not even going near an argument with you on it

1372354900[/url]' post='387586']

I think the argument has been put very eloquently by Well 4 Europe. That boy DOES have a way with words..