2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Brilliant news lasley's committed but expected nothing less.

The guys improved with age and if he had been this good at 26 would have went on to great things I think.

Modern day legend though and leads by example on and off the pitch.

KEITH!

notworthy.gif

Great to see Las sign on for another 2 years, one of the great players we've watched in the last 10 - 15 years.

Continuity is a good thing but I also think it's important to freshen up the squad every year especially when you have done well, other wise I think things can sometimes go a bit stale.

I'm still expecting Ainsworth to join but even if he does and bearing in mind that we've signed Law and Twardzik I'd like to see at least one fresh face come in who is going to challenge for a first team place, the most obvious position would be a left sided midfielder.

If Ainsworth signs then the squad looks pretty decent. Plenty of options in defence and in centre midfield, a few different types of striker. Only issue would be even with Ainsworth, could argue we're short of a replacement for McFadden. Irrespective of his form and fitness last season, he at least provided an option if Ainsworth was out or if we were chasing a game (last day of the season?). He and Ainsworth were the only players we had last season that would try and take a player on. I guess it depends how much faith McCall has in Thomas...

We still lack a burst of pace and the surprise element but what we have is a fairly stubborn robust starting 11 that will give us a decent but unspectacular season. Good backbone so far, no more or no less.

We still lack a burst of pace and the surprise element but what we have is a fairly stubborn robust starting 11 that will give us a decent but unspectacular season. Good backbone so far, no more or no less.

I'm pretty sure that if Ainsworth moves on Stuart McCall will look for another right winger with pace who can take a man on. Time will tell though.

With the exception of McFadden (who apparently contributed nothing, if you listen to some), it's basically the same squad that finished second. If Ainsworth signs...

No, I'm aware Hutchinson has left. We have Ramsden coming back and as Reid was brought in to cover for his absence, we're not really any weaker there in my opinion...

mellow.gif

Hutch has been immense for us. Even on his worst dips in form no one considered dropping him for any of our back up options.

mellow.gif

Hutch has been immense for us. Even on his worst dips in form no one considered dropping him for any of our back up options.

If Ramsden had been fit, second half of last season then I'd have considered it. Hutchinson is a good player but his form was very ropey since January.

Would I be happy for him to stay? Yes, but do I think he was immense week in, week out? No. I actually suspect our defence may be better without him, not down to his flaws necessarily, but more down to the fact that he and McManus are too similar in style...

A good number of players released. Would we have Gunning back for the departing Hutcheson?

Gavin Gunning, Morgaro Gomis and Mark Millar have been named among nine players exiting Dundee United.

Millar, 26, has been released early from his contract after spending most of the season on loan to Falkirk.

Fellow midfielder Gomis, 28, was in his second spell at United after leaving Birmingham City.

Gunning, 23, rejected a new contract at Tannadice, while striker Dale Hilson, 21, is also exiting after his latest loan spell with Forfar Athletic.

_75289193_gomis.jpg Gomis had returned to Tannadice after being released by Birmingham City

On-loan striker Farid El Alagui returns to Brentford, while five members of United's under-20 squad also depart.

Striker Jordan Allan had a loan spell with Albion Rovers this season, right-back Ross Gilmour, also 19, was with Airdrieonians, while defender Luke Johnston spent time with Dunfermline Athletic and Montrose.

Midfielder Mark Russell, 18, and defender Phil Anderson, 20, also depart Tannadice.

However, Harry Souttar, Jamie Robson, Matthew Smith, Greig McNaughton, Ryan Booth, Scott Allardyce, Ali Coote and Rafa Malaga have signed professional contracts.

Ola Adeyemo and Aaron Duke will also be secured on professional contracts should they receive international clearance.

A good number of players released. Would we have Gunning back for the departing Hutcheson?

Gunning, 23, rejected a new contract at Tannadice, while striker Dale Hilson, 21, is also exiting after his latest loan spell with Forfar Athletic.

If he has rejected a new contract at United I would have thought it very unlikely we would offer him more.