The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

Did Van der Gag break his ankle/leg playing for us v Dumbarton or someone at the start of the season ? Shaggy perm an all. Freeman buggered up Bolton no thanks

Clydebank away in the League Cup - Stevie Woods came on as a sub and played o the wing! It was extremely tedious and went to extra time penalties after a nil nil draw (I think we won on penalties).

It was roasting and I had a rare taps aff moment on the terracing at Kilbowie which I still get slagged for.

Clydebank away in the League Cup - Stevie Woods came on as a sub and played o the wing! It was extremely tedious and went to extra time penalties after a nil nil draw (I think we won on penalties).

It was roasting and I had a rare taps aff moment on the terracing at Kilbowie which I still get slagged for.

Remember it well to this day - lying in a part of the terracing that was more grass than concrete and taking in the sun. Then a proper laugh as stevie woods played right wing. Looked more capable there than in goals!

Remember it well to this day - lying in a part of the terracing that was more grass than concrete and taking in the sun. Then a proper laugh as stevie woods played right wing. Looked more capable there than in goals!

It was absolutely scorchio that day. I remember at the end of 90 mins their stewards allowed us to nip out to a wee shop to buy ice poles before coming back for extra time. Fairly sure we won on penalties.

Would love to see us go for someone like Van De Gaag or Maaskant, the club needs a new direction and the majority of the support desire something a bit different!!

I think i'm in the minority of never rating Van Der Gaag as a player, I just remember the club forking out 1/4m on him and every time he played, which wasn't often, he made a howling mistake which cost us the game!! His time at the club was salvaged due to the free kick against Dunfermline that kept us up!!

I'd welcome him back as manager tho, hopefully he wont tell us how much he learnt from Mcleish as manager!

Two things about that match.

The Clydebank winger Joe Robertson had an absolute stormer and I was convinced he was going to be the next big thing. Didn't turn out that way for Joe.

The polis moved the Motherwell buses to an obscure location so when we came out the ground we literally couldn't find the buses and we're pure shiteing we'd either get left behind or get a bollocking off Liz Mullen for holding the bus up!

Would love to see us go for someone like Van De Gaag or Maaskant, the club needs a new direction and the majority of the support desire something a bit different!!

I think i'm in the minority of never rating Van Der Gaag as a player, I just remember the club forking out 1/4m on him and every time he played, which wasn't often, he made a howling mistake which cost us the game!! His time at the club was salvaged due to the free kick against Dunfermline that kept us up!!

I'd welcome him back as manager tho, hopefully he wont tell us how much he learnt from Mcleish as manager!

Not strictly true....it was actually £400k he cost! ohmy.gif although we did recoup that in full apparently.

I know what you are saying about the mistakes and you are spot on that it took him a good while into his Motherwell career before he came good. But his 'Well career had more to it than just that one game. His form once he did recover from that early season injury was excellent.

Whether it was just a case of taking a while to adapt to a new country or a different style of football from what he'd been used to I don't know, but when he returned to the side after the second injury he looked much more prepared and ready to tackle Scottish football and it showed.

Going by the BBC this is list

1. Kenny Black - Not sure he is a number 1

2. Rob Maaskant - liking the sounds of him. been around a fair few countries but not been a manager

3. Mitchell van der Gaag - again like the sounds of him but has been out the game for a bit

4. Kenny Shiels - no thanks

5. Terry Butcher - like the guy but i don't think we should go back esp if he wants malpas with him.

6. An Other - great manager and probably the one we will pick

Going by the BBC this is list

1. Kenny Black - Not sure he is a number 1

2. Rob Maaskant - liking the sounds of him. been around a fair few countries but not been a manager

3. Mitchell van der Gaag - again like the sounds of him but has been out the game for a bit

4. Kenny Shiels - no thanks

5. Terry Butcher - like the guy but i don't think we should go back esp if he wants malpas with him.

6. An Other - great manager and probably the one we will pick

Has he not been manager of two or three sides in Holland, and a couple in Belarus?

And Mitch being out the game for a bit isn't an issue, still makes him a better shout than either of the two Kennys.

Not strictly true....it was actually £400k he cost! ohmy.gif although we did recoup that in full apparently.

I know what you are saying about the mistakes and you are spot on that it took him a good while into his Motherwell career before he came good. But his 'Well career had more to it than just that one game. His form once he did recover from that early season injury was excellent.

Whether it was just a case of taking a while to adapt to a new country or a different style of football from what he'd been used to I don't know, but when he returned to the side after the second injury he looked much more prepared and ready to tackle Scottish football and it showed.

Great goalscorer too for a centre half

Terry Butcher based on his Hibs debacle - where he took a decent side and utterly demorolised them to the point of relegation - should be nowhere near the job. I would be gutted if he got the gig.

Hopefully we get something a bit different - shakes things up and bring some new ideas into the club.

Some ex SPL manager is not going to change anything at all.

• Like 1

Yeah, you are in the minority and for good reason.

• Like 2

Terry Butcher based on his Hibs debacle - where he took a decent side and utterly demorolised them to the point of relegation - should be nowhere near the job. I would be gutted if he got the gig.

He took a shite side and to be fair made them even shitier

We don't have that many great options. Hoping for another left field appointment, but imho Butcher would still represent less of a risk than 2 ex players that have by the look of things questionable managerial success.

I like Terry but Malpish less so..

Will have to wait and see

The thought of Butcher as manager is complete and utter madness. How anyone on here thinks it will be a good appointment is completely beyond me. Plenty of claret and amber tinted specs and golden memories ruling heads here.

I hope the board continue the tradition of appointing someone no one is expecting and is not an ex-Motherwell player/coach, manager. We need a manager who will change things around here not an old pals act. This idea that they have to have some connection in some way to Motherwell is ridiculous. Motherwell minded is a disaster. No nonsense manager who can steady the ship short term but with a medium to long term plan is required.

From Wikipedia.

"On 23 May 2012, Groningen announced that the 43-year-old Robert Maaskant would be the new manager. He signed a one year contract.

There were a lot of controversies before the season had even started. Maaskant was unhappy with the new signings. Especially Serbian winger Filip Kostic. The season was a dissapointing one for the club. Despite finishing 7th, the style of play was far from encouraging, with mostly destructive football. The fans were far from pleased. Maaskant was also known for his controversial statements about certain players. All of which damaged Groningen's reputation as a quiet and decent club.

FC Groningen announced on 11 March 2013 that it would not be renewing its 1-year contract with Maaskant."