St Johnstone V Motherwell Sat 20 Feb 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Gomis has played 3 games, first he was MoTM.

I thought he was the stand out in his first appearance

He was crap in his first two games, how he managed to get 27 plus posters in his first game was unbelievable, against Utd he had more midfield support but was still poor. Inmo he should be on the first bus back to Tynecastle.

He was crap in his first two games, how he managed to get 27 plus posters in his first game was unbelievable, against Utd he had more midfield support but was still poor. Inmo he should be on the first bus back to Tynecastle.

Totally agree I though he would be a good addition to the squad and i have only seen him against Killie but he was dire, you begin to see why Hearts were keen to sign Cowie and punt Gomis on loan.

What is more unbelievable. Your view he was crap v ICT or the vast majority, including myself that thought he was MOM.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Tough one that

I'm hoping and expecting us to get a point on sat. I'd put Pearson in place of Gomis who's been rank in his 2 games for us.

If Gomis was to be left out of the starting line up would Pearo be best suited to a defensive role? We don't want to fall into the Craig Brown school of thought where we field our 11 best players irrespective of their positions.

I'd play the same team as last night.

Tend to agree. Whilst it's not quite as easy as "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" due to oppisition tactics etc, there is some merir in it.

If it means Hammell, Pearson etc on bench, so be it. I don't think there can be grounds for complaint. Priority is points.

Re: Gomis - The bad bits of play I've seen him in have tended to result from (in part at least)team-mates giving him hospital passes etc.

He definitely offers something.

Hearts fans were screaming for him back on Tues.

Whilst I agree that Pearo hasnt been great recently and Im not averse to dropping him if we can come up with a formation that doesnt weaken us tactically, I really dont think his performances are down to poor attitude. He has never been that sort of player. It could be that he has been playing carrying an injury. He did go off injured in the Thistle game. Folk need to consider these things before deciding he isnt pulling his weight.

I'd say in the case of Pearson he just looks knackered. He had a fairly lengthy injury at the start of the season and if I recall correctly was rushed back into the Thistle game after Baraclogh was emptied. Since then he's started almost every game and in doing so been asked to play box to box. It's no real surprise that with pitches as heavy as they are at this time of year that he might be fading a bit.

re: Gomis, whilst I think it's unfair to say he's been dire he definitely gives me the fear a bit largely on account of his apparent penchant for holding on to the ball in dangerous areas and getting caught in possession. To be honest there are a couple of mitigating factors there; a) he's not long at the club so may well be taking a second or two too long on the ball as he's not familiar with the players around him, b) in the games against ICT, Killie and United we've changed up our system so the players (midfield in particular) have been asked to play in different shapes.

Neither of those points cover the fact that at the moment, in the form we've been in, I'd rather one of our holding midfielders wasn't trying to roulette his way past players 35 yards from our own goal not least because when he does get caught out neither Lasley or Pearson have the legs to cover him.

It's all very well him (clearly) being comfortable on the ball but for me rather than adding composure to the midfield, in the games I've seen him he's often invited pressure. Having said that I'd think that with more games in a settled team we'd see him improve and we'd be a bit more fluid in that area of the park.

I'm beginning to feel that this is a massive gave. Don't loose we keep the momentum going with at least not being defeated in 2 away games back to back. Possibly more importantly McGee has started to use the squad a bit more which if we are winning can only be a good thing. And to be fair, his tactics look to have been spot on against Utd. He was unlucky a bit with Inverness and I think their result against Aberdeen the other night possibly proves he was on to something. 4 massive matches coming up, no injuries would be a bonus and lets put a bit of faith in the manager again with team selection just as we did at Celtic a few weeks ago.

Its all in our own hands but performances from McManus like he did the other night can only be great for us and young Ben Hall. Right back I fear is still our Achilles heel.

COYW

The longer this week goes on the more massive this game feels. A win could really change our season going forward in a big way. A draw wouldn't be the end of the world but I think we are capable of getting a result. The team is a real struggle to pick to be honest. I would go with;

Ripley

Laing Hall McManus Hammell

Johnston Lasley Gomis Cadden

McFadden

Moult

I agree people can probably pick holes in the above but I think we could do that with any team named at the moment. Pearson needs a rest and whilst I realise Gomis and Lasley are similar players, I think we are better with two holding type guys in this game. Cadden & Marv can offer legs from the wing. As for Laing at right back, I would rather play him slightly out of position than play Josh Law there. I'm interested to see how Faddy would play in behind Moult instead of Skippy. I didn't see the gam during the week but I think in previous games Skippy hasn't been as good as some have made out.

Looking forward to tomorrow Mon the well'

I'd be surprised if he did it but if McGhee wants to revert to a back 4 but still start McFadden then Johnson dropping out and going 4312/442 diamond would be most obvious option. I think we need Moult in the team for exactly the reason mentioned above Faddy is by all accounts a #10 and McDonald drops in and won't really get in behind a defence.

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Gomis

McFadden

Moult McDonald

Again though that'd be a pretty unfamiliar shape for us and there's no real width which could be a problem against Swanson and the young boy Thompson (if Wright decides to play him). Though a 4312 would put bodies around Davidson in the centre of the park. Tbh I really wouldn't be surprised if we just went back to roughly the same 442 that beat them at Fir Park in December.

Either way, massive game. Hopefully we turn up again.

If we are reverting to a back 4 today, the player to drop out should be Johnston. He's been underperforming. Moult's work rate should avoid Skippy being isolated up front. Alternatively, Faddy could offer more accurate crosses and corners - glaringly missing from recent games.

Whatever McGhee goes for - please don't revert to the line up against Killie. I'm still getting over last Saturday.

Interesting that most folk seem in favour of leaving Pearson out. Maybe he's been carrying an injury but he has been asked to play deeper than he likes. Saints have a fairly combative midfield so we'll see the respective line ups. Brian Easton has been ruled out (apparently) so we'll see if that affects Mark McGhee's thoughts