Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Iain Vigurs is probably held in pretty much the worst regard I hold any former players.

The summer he signed, despite the fact we managed a second place finish, I think initially McCall was guilty to an extent of signing all the best players available to him, rather than a definitive shape. Signing Lawson and Vigurs may have made more sense had we then signed a striker who could play upfront himself, but instead we signed Sutton (who was obviously a massive success that season).

Vigurs showed flashes of ability, but it was clear he wasn't a left midfielder or a central midfielder in a 4-4-2. However, any sympathy for him I may have had soon vanished due to his lack of basic professionalism. Regardless of how you're not suited to a role or how you think you are being misused, the basic requirement is for you to apply yourself and put 100% effort in all the time and anyone who argues he did this is clearly at it. So many times he tried daft skills that didn't come off, but then made no effort to go and win the ball back, that's plainly inexcusable.

The Stjarnan game was tipping point for me, as Fraz says above. My frothing at the mouth, shouting abuse at players days are confined to my younger years, but they returned as he went off the park that night. Lost the ball at one point and the guy who won it strolled up the park whilst Vigurs stood static at the half way line, with his hands on his hips. That was as we were on the verge of exiting Europe.

Some people are saying blame Lasley for that tie, but for me I would always sooner have sympathy for someone who tried and made a mistake, than someone who doesn't try at all. Vigurs was an egotistical, lazy prima donna and he's one of very few players I would be reluctant to ever give a second chance to.

Even when giving away 3 penalties over the course of 2 matches,and being generally shite in both matches, Lasley is bulletproof.

The treatment he gets is cringeworthy! He could score 43 own goals and single handedly get us relegated this season and people would still be wanking over him and instead blaming Samson/Blyth/Chalmers /McManus/Ainsworth

The irrational hate/love fans have for players is a thing of beauty.

In the context of the two ties, Lasley was the main villain, absolutely no doubt about it. I wasn't enamoured with his performance, particularly at Fir Park, but that was an honest pro making a mistake. Vigurs "contribution" over those two games epitomised his entire spell with us, whereas Lasley's contribution was uncharacteristic. Not being able to see that and attributing the comment to "man-love" is a bit off if you ask me.

I love Las, I often find my self perplexed when folk come one here and pick holes in his games when he's been fine or above average.

He gets stick when he is awful. Not randomly cos he's 37

He gets stick because he's lost what pace he had and is now constantly chasing games and as a result our midfield constantly suffers. He is done but until McGhee sorts it out the and gets a replacement in then we need to put up with it.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of Keith Lasley, never have been, I like my midfielders to be able to create, have an eye for a pass, tackle, contribute some goals (all of those ideally)...for me Lasley, has never been able to do any of them and now that his legs are gone (they've been gone for at least 2 seasons in my opinion) its become very apparent that he needs replaced BUT I can concede that he puts 100% effort into every game he has ever played for Motherwell, and I'd take him in my team over Ian Vigurs every day of the week

• Like 1

Watched the Inverness game at the weekend and it was a classic Vigurs performance. Walking through midfield, losing possession, not even trying his arse to get back.

He obviously has some talent but he's a lazy, work-shy bastard and I could never warm to him playing for Motherwell.

He obviously has some talent but he's a lazy, work-shy bastard and I could never warm to him playing for Motherwell.

I think that's all that needs to be said on Vigurs.

On Forbes, he's a weird shape, his legs are too short or something. I don't think it's lack of effort that's his problem, he's just physically not an athlete, no pace, height or stamina. He does at least appear to apply himself to a point and does have some ability.

• Like 1

It seems Simo Valakari has been fired as manager of SJK in Finland. Can't be long until his name makes an appearance as the messiah on the "McGhee Out" thread.

He's just a phone call away, I seem to remember