Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Coyle can't have many opportunities left before he ends up back in Scotland. IIRC, we did sound him out pre Baraclough, would love him at FP.

Why ?? his record anywhere he has managed is not the best, apart from that he is behind Valakari and Nijholt in the ex players that turned into average managers queue.

Why ?? his record anywhere he has managed is not the best, apart from that he is behind Valakari and Nijholt in the ex players that turned into average managers queue.

I've been keen on him since his 1st Div St Johnstone team knocked us out the cup at FP. IIRC, St Johnstone got to 2 cup semis that season and would have got promoted if it wasn't for cheating Gretna. He then went on to do a very good job, getting Burnley to the Premiership and notching up cup wins against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

Granted he's had a few tough years but the times I've seen Blackburn this season (Newcastle x 2 & Man Utd) his team have impressed.

All round good guy with a track record in the cups and far greater success in England than the likes of McInnes, surely a former fans favourite with his pedigree would be warmly welcomed.

He demanded a transfer a few days before a home Scottish Cup QF which went onto lose.

The transfer was to Dunfermline who were bottom of the league at the time. We just about managed to avoid getting sucked into a relegation battle. We were at East End Park on the final day of the season and he took pelters.

He demanded a transfer a few days before a home Scottish Cup QF which went onto lose.

The transfer was to Dunfermline who were bottom of the league at the time. We just about managed to avoid getting sucked into a relegation battle. We were at East End Park on the final day of the season and he took pelters.

That St Johnstone QF was grim. Can't recall the chain of events at the time but was Willie McLean not heavily involved in Coyle's departure?

That St Johnstone QF was grim. Can't recall the chain of events at the time but was Willie McLean not heavily involved in Coyle's departure?

That's my recollection also although I couldn't quite remember whether it was McLean or McPartland he alleged was trying to hasten his departure.

Academic anyway I suppose as nobody seemed in the least bit fussed about how he departed when he was popping those goals away for Motherwell in yon Masters tournaments a few years back.

• Like 1

I'm sure I read he was offered a new contract, but on a pittance compared to what Spencer, Brannan, Goram, Teale etc were offered and was rightly quite annoyed being our top scorer at the time. I liked him, he scored goals consistently when he was here and he was the first player I ever saw score for Motherwell.