Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

I'm sure it was confirmed we have a sell on clause when we sold him.

The official line in the statement on his departure was that the club would be rewarded "both now and in the future"

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/08/31/johnson-signs-for-oxford/

Appleton confirmed at the time that he'd gone back to Motherwell with a "creative" package to get the deal done so you'd think there may be a few add ons in there. According to him there were payments that were "guaranteed" so there's a reasonable chance that any sell on may be in addition to those.

"I had a few ideas around potentially what we might be able to do and be creative in going back with something to Motherwell...There's all sorts of things in the contract, like all contracts. There are certain bits that have to be met, but ultimately we had to get to a place where Motherwell were happy and we still think it's fantastic business for the club."

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/14715643.Marvin_Johnson_impressed_with_Oxford_United_s_determination_to_do_deal/

Would be great if we get a few extra quid for the club if he moves on.

Will still be annoying, however, that English clubs waited until they had seen him at Oxford for half a season given that his performances there haven't been any better than they were at Fir Park - and he's not playing at a higher level. Just another example of how little most clubs down south think of our game (aye, West Ham and Belic, I'm looking at you).

Would be great if we get a few extra quid for the club if he moves on.

Will still be annoying, however, that English clubs waited until they had seen him at Oxford for half a season given that his performances there haven't been any better than they were at Fir Park - and he's not playing at a higher level. Just another example of how little most clubs down south think of our game (aye, West Ham and Belic, I'm looking at you).

Celtic apart our league is not any greater than league one. The likes of Sheffield Utd wouldgive Aberdeen and rangers a run for their money never mind the rest. Hamilton and Inverness are conference equivalent teams no question about it. The success rate of players going to the championship from spfl premier hasn't been great of late, therefore it is seen as risky. Less so from league one.

Don't know what West Ham have done wrong regarding belic - we signed him, he wasn't enforced upon us against our better wishes.

what ever happened to "heez some player " belic ? just askin cause I really have no idea except he was in the squad for inverness away at the start of the season,then he disappeared

from what i heard he was utter pish " would struggle to make the U20's never mind the 1st team" was the phrase used. The club was obviously stiched up by his agent and West Ham when we agreed the 6 month loan deal, according to wikipedia he has signed for Slovenian club NK Celje, this February.

• Like 1

from what i heard he was utter pish " would struggle to make the U20's never mind the 1st team" was the phrase used. The club was obviously stiched up by his agent and West Ham when we agreed the 6 month loan deal, according to wikipedia he has signed for Slovenian club NK Celje, this February.

Well we should have watched him first to determine that ourselves. It's not West Ham's fault

anytime we sell a player from now on we should always insist on a sell on clause as part of the deal as getting some unexpected money down the line would always be a huge bonus for us.hopefully we do have a sell on clause for marvin and he stars between now and the end of the season and we get a whack of money in the summer if hes sold.

anytime we sell a player from now on we should always insist on a sell on clause as part of the deal as getting some unexpected money down the line would always be a huge bonus for us.hopefully we do have a sell on clause for marvin and he stars between now and the end of the season and we get a whack of money in the summer if hes sold.

You do realise that sell on clauses are mutually agreeable?

Both parties have to agree to it

of course both parties have to agree but if were selling a player and we want a sell on clause as part of that deal thats upto us and if the buying club dont want that in the deal then they should be told to go elsewhere.sell on clauses could be vital to clubs like ours,just look at when murphy was sold to brighton and we made money then,that came at a time when we were really struggling financially and by all accounts that money was a real life saver for us.

Celtic apart our league is not any greater than league one. The likes of Sheffield Utd wouldgive Aberdeen and rangers a run for their money never mind the rest. Hamilton and Inverness are conference equivalent teams no question about it. The success rate of players going to the championship from spfl premier hasn't been great of late, therefore it is seen as risky. Less so from league one.

Don't know what West Ham have done wrong regarding belic - we signed him, he wasn't enforced upon us against our better wishes.

Even if you believe League One isn't any better than our league (which was kind of my point), I'll bet any one of the clubs mentioned pays at least double the fee we received based purely on the fact he's playing in England now. A fee they could have paid us directly for him when he was playing just as well and at a similar level of competition.

(Based on the English Championship games I watch most weeks, however, I'd say the the bottom half of that league is about SPFL level).

As for Belic, West Ham (I'm told) thought Belic would be a first team contender based on the fact that they thought SPFL football was a doddle. As it turned out, he wasn't even good enough to get a game for our U20s.

• Like 2

Well we should have watched him first to determine that ourselves. It's not West Ham's fault

He didn't cost us anything, so it was zero risk on our part.

Again, however, that is nothing to do with the fact that this highly rated EPL starlet wasn't good enough for an U20 starting spot.

of course both parties have to agree but if were selling a player and we want a sell on clause as part of that deal thats upto us and if the buying club dont want that in the deal then they should be told to go elsewhere.sell on clauses could be vital to clubs like ours,just look at when murphy was sold to brighton and we made money then,that came at a time when we were really struggling financially and by all accounts that money was a real life saver for us.

It's not fantasy football, If we are really struggling financially then we will take what's on offer. In Jamie Murphys case we wanted £500k. We got offered £100k plus several add ons (many of which were not realised - I'm not even sure we even got a sell on fee - happy to be corrected however). We taken that reduced offer cause we were skint. Even if a selling on fee was agreed it would have been negotiated to give us a little more as we knew sheff Utd would be unlikely to pay any more than £100k offered and it's better than nowt. Its a false economy - i would rather have £500k in the bank than £100k plus add ons.

• Like 1

Even if you believe League One isn't any better than our league (which was kind of my point), I'll bet any one of the clubs mentioned pays at least double the fee we received based purely on the fact he's playing in England now. A fee they could have paid us directly for him when he was playing just as well and at a similar level of competition.

(Based on the English Championship games I watch most weeks, however, I'd say the the bottom half of that league is about SPFL level).

As for Belic, West Ham (I'm told) thought Belic would be a first team contender based on the fact that they thought SPFL football was a doddle. As it turned out, he wasn't even good enough to get a game for our U20s.

More than half of our league sign players from league two and conference sides and you think our league is on a par with the bottom end of the championship. Deary me, Aberdeen and rangers are full of league one cast offs ffs.

Who at West Ham told you belic would breeze the spfl? And when did he suddenly become a premiership starlet. He never played a minute of premiership football.

It's not fantasy football, If we are really struggling financially then we will take what's on offer. In Jamie Murphys case we wanted £500k. We got offered £100k plus several add ons (many of which were not realised - I'm not even sure we even got a sell on fee - happy to be corrected however). We taken that reduced offer cause we were skint. Even if a selling on fee was agreed it would have been negotiated to give us a little more as we knew sheff Utd would be unlikely to pay any more than £100k offered and it's better than nowt. Its a false economy - i would rather have £500k in the bank than £100k plus add ons.

I think there was a payment in last season's accounts covering something like £150k payment following Murphy's move to Brighton.

Edit; actually maybe this was where I got that from. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13600549.Murphy_deal_leaves_Motherwell_quids_in/?ref=arc

With the greatest of respect Big Wispy Flossy, unless you've watched a lot of lower league football, how can you legitimately compare?

Yes there have been several non league players coming to the SPL but that doesn't necessarily mean that we are at non league level.

There are wages being offered by some non league teams that cannot be matched by some league 1 teams never mind league 2. Although I haven't been to a championship match this season, Ive been to see games in league 1, league 2 and national league this season and hand on heart, the difference in quality isn't as wide as you'd think.

With the greatest of respect Big Wispy Flossy, unless you've watched a lot of lower league football, how can you legitimately compare?

Yes there have been several non league players coming to the SPL but that doesn't necessarily mean that we are at non league level.

There are wages being offered by some non league teams that cannot be matched by some league 1 teams never mind league 2. Although I haven't been to a championship match this season, Ive been to see games in league 1, league 2 and national league this season and hand on heart, the difference in quality isn't as wide as you'd think.

I never said we were non league level. What I did say was Inverness and Hamilton are conference equivalent standard.

I was merely pointing out that the majority of our league get cast offs from league one and below (including Aberdeen and rangers). Therefore it's not an unreasonable assumption that our league, celric apart, would struggle with Sheffield Utd in league one.

Let's not kid ourselves on - the standard of football in Scotland is as low as I can remember it. One things for sure, it's nowhere near the bottom half of the championship as another poster suggests.