Jump to content

Andy_P

Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

And of course a 2-0 victory against the Rangers last game of the season that almost had us in Europe and this game is almost forgotten about,  the story about Andy being knocked back from the Fir Park club one night for not having a membership despite being club captain at the time will be remembered also

We were excellent that day, thoroughly deserved our 2-0 win but lost out due to Hearts winning against Hibs on the same day. 
 

I must admit I’m surprised to hear that Goram was denied entry to the old Fir Park Club given that that was one of the biggest Rangers shops in town back then. I know I and alot of Motherwell fans avoided it for that very reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We were excellent that day, thoroughly deserved our 2-0 win but lost out due to Hearts winning against Hibs on the same day. 
 

I must admit I’m surprised to hear that Goram was denied entry to the old Fir Park Club given that that was one of the biggest Rangers shops in town back then. I know I and alot of Motherwell fans avoided it for that very reason.

True story from Andy's book , on his time at the Wellconteghhggnt.thumb.png.0e430ac6072f3b312ed49bf99fd7dec0.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jamie Murphy signs for St Johnstone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2022 at 7:02 PM, twistandshout1983 said:

And of course a 2-0 victory against the Rangers last game of the season that almost had us in Europe and this game is almost forgotten about,  the story about Andy being knocked back from the Fir Park club one night for not having a membership despite being club captain at the time will be remembered also

I'll always remember that game because it's the only time I've watched a Motherwell match from the Cooper Stand.  Think the only other time I've been in there was a Scotland U21 match against Austria.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'll always remember that game because it's the only time I've watched a Motherwell match from the Cooper Stand.  Think the only other time I've been in there was a Scotland U21 match against Austria.

 

Been in the cooper stand a few times not long after it first opened though always preferred the Hunter Stand, one game I was in the cooper I seem to recall an incident with Jim Leighton towards the end of a game when someone ran on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Liam Donnelly signs for Kilmarnock 

Be interesting to see how his knees hold up to playing on that plastic shithole every 2nd week 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murphy has 8 goals and 4 assists in 19 appearances against St Johnstone so from their perspective at least he won't be playing against them.

He has 1 goal and 1 assist in 31 appearances against Celtic which I think sums him up. He had so much ability but fell short mentally, if he had a Scott McDonald style attitude he would have had a much more successful career. He was still a great player overall for us though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Liam Donnelly signs for Kilmarnock 

I think a lot of people reckon that Derek McInnes track record in the Premiership will see Kilmarnock good but re-signing Alan Power, bringing in Donnelly and already having Polworth there suggests other wise.

They also have a brutal opening fixture list, easily the hardest of any of the teams.

For me could be contenders to go straight back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think a lot of people reckon that Derek McInnes track record in the Premiership will see Kilmarnock good but re-signing Alan Power, bringing in Donnelly and already having Polworth there suggests other wise.

They also have a brutal opening fixture list, easily the hardest of any of the teams.

For me could be contenders to go straight back down.

I agree with that,I think kilmarnock could quite easily go back down.I don't envy there fans that will have to witness donnolly every other week strutting about on that plastic pitch like hes a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think a lot of people reckon that Derek McInnes track record in the Premiership will see Kilmarnock good but re-signing Alan Power, bringing in Donnelly and already having Polworth there suggests other wise.

They also have a brutal opening fixture list, easily the hardest of any of the teams.

For me could be contenders to go straight back down.

Mcinnes has proven himself. Doing well with both StJohonstone and the 8 years with Abderdeen.  He must be kicking himself not to have taken the bigger jobs when they came up. Now he's back at the level he was 14 years ago when starting out as a manager.  Having to make do with a much lower budget. 

Difficult to call who'll do well and who'll sink. Suspect it will be another tight league from pos 5-12. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Polworth was binned and at Dunfermline now? Or was that just a loan deal?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

I thought Polworth was binned and at Dunfermline now? Or was that just a loan deal
 

It was a loan deal.

Incidentally, not a fan of McInnes, as I think he's overrated by a friendly press. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s not overrated at all, he absolutely dominated the rest of the league with Aberdeen. Look at the fuckin nick of them since they sacked him.

 

One of the most ridiculous sackings/mutual terminations ever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GazzyB said:

He’s not overrated at all, he absolutely dominated the rest of the league with Aberdeen. Look at the fuckin nick of them since they sacked him.

 

One of the most ridiculous sackings/mutual terminations ever. 

I’m with you . 8 years with more than 50% win record . He took Aberdeen as far as he could . 
 

Sadly it highlights the restrictions our league has . Old firm fight for top spot , a few other clubs battle for best of the rest .

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McInnes is a very good manager at this level and I think he’ll prove it again this year with Killie, who I think will surprise a lot of people in the league next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Watt may be looking for pastures new... Utd have just signed Steven Fletcher as their new No. 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

Tony Watt may be looking for pastures new... Utd have just signed Steven Fletcher as their new No. 9.

That has the making of a decent pairing with Watt doing the running and Fletcher staying central.

Dependent on Watt being as focussed as he was in the final year of his contract with us.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven Saunders retires from playing at the age of 31. Think he was actually on the books at East Kilbride recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kat said:

Steven Saunders retires from playing at the age of 31. Think he was actually on the books at East Kilbride recently. 

Bit of a shame for him he never really recovered from that bad injury he had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robinson - Carson - Gallagher - O'Hara start the season with a 0-1 home defeat to Arbroath in what one  Buddy at the match described as "One of the worst St. Mirren performances I've ever seen".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Robinson - Carson - Gallagher - O'Hara start the season with a 0-1 home defeat to Arbroath in what one  Buddy at the match described as "One of the worst St. Mirren performances I've ever seen".

You really don’t like Robinson do you? :lol:

No denying that’s an awful result for him and St.Mirren though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They joys of playing Europe and watching other teams struggle in early League Cup games before the full stress of a season kicks in for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor result for St Mirren though Arbroath definetly a good side and still underrated in my opinion 

Will be happy to see St Mirren do well this year as long as they dont finish higher than us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×