S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

TBF, all of our appointments have had mixed success. Including guys like Tommy McLean whose first few seasons were on a par, or worse, than this current one.

I'd rather we had a stranger to the Scottish game like Baraclough than someone familiar to the Scottish game like Jock Wallace. Although, neither, would be preferable.

Have been thinking about this and discussing it with a few people. None of the names that have been mentioned seem to fit the bill, but I reckon there may be a reason for this.

For me, we are almost looking for two different types of manager. In the short term, we're looking for someone who can make an immediate impact, hit the ground running, organise us and keep us up. Leads you to consider mainly Scottish based candidates. Looking more long term, you're looking for someone who this summer can refresh and rebuild the squad when you're looking at replacing or phasing out some key players while also bringing through some of the U20s squad. Leads me to think we'd need someone with fresh eyes not tied to senior players' reputations.

Problem for me is I've not seen a name that ticks both boxes...

• Like 1

Have been thinking about this and discussing it with a few people. None of the names that have been mentioned seem to fit the bill, but I reckon there may be a reason for this.

For me, we are almost looking for two different types of manager. In the short term, we're looking for someone who can make an immediate impact, hit the ground running, organise us and keep us up. Leads you to consider mainly Scottish based candidates. Looking more long term, you're looking for someone who this summer can refresh and rebuild the squad when you're looking at replacing or phasing out some key players while also bringing through some of the U20s squad. Leads me to think we'd need someone with fresh eyes not tied to senior players' reputations.

Joeboy made this very point a few days ago and I agree 100%. A few years ago I'd have plumped for someone lie Alex Smith short term. If your priority was to avoid the drop and finish 10th he'd have been your man; but don't ask him to guide the team to 9th spot or above. Is there a case for making a short term appointment until the end of the season and then appointing someone else? I'm not wholly convinced of that approach but it has its merits.

This is the dilemma we face following McGhee's abrupt demise. In an ideal world there would be a Craig Brown type character lurking to get us to the end of the season, but I'm struggling to think of any names.

If the Board have absolute confidence in Robinson, they may task him with ensuring our premiership status while looking towards a more dynamic appointment in the summer.

This is the dilemma we face following McGhee's abrupt demise. In an ideal world there would be a Craig Brown type character lurking to get us to the end of the season, but I'm struggling to think of any names.

If the Board have absolute confidence in Robinson, they may task him with ensuring our premiership status while looking towards a more dynamic appointment in the summer.

This was my thinking. Kind of leads me to think Robinson will get the job til the end of the season. Unless they think pairing him with the candidate that they have in mind for next season will get the best of both worlds also allowing a new manager a first hand look at the squad to assess it looking towards next season...

A Duffy appointment, if that was to happen, would do nothing to get attendances up. In fact I could see a whole new group of supporters claim to not be coming back until he has gone. Especially after the way he spoke with regards to the fans having a voice. Hopefully this is just bookies putting up a 2+2=5 scenario.

I noticed Craig Goldthrop, who covers MFC for the MT, indicated in response to the Duffy thing that the club had suggested the bookies odds should be taken with a pinch of salt. Which is fair enough really given the nature of how these things work, if there was chat on say, Sportsound last night talking Duffy up then that might have been enough to see punters put some cash on him rather than there actually being anything in it.

Yep, henrik larrson appeared at 20-1 after I posted the name here, hopefully not because someone saw it and put their hard earned on it, my conscience can't take that.

Ha! If it's on Skybet then that was me via their #requestabet. I was curious to know what odds they'd give (I didn't put anything on it so rest easy).

The book that is open for the next Motherwell manager will not have that much going through it. It means that small amounts on the same person can crash the odds. Wouldn't ever read too much into it.

I went into the local BetFred and Willie Hills and there was no market for it! Had to bet online