S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

1st Division/Championship whatever. Apologies for getting the terminology wrong, but I suspect you knew what I meant.

What I've posted in the past week is no different from many others in outlook considering our dire situation.

I'll perhaps post something more upbeat if the team can give us something to be upbeat about.

It's replys like you had there milo that is the reason why we were discussing why the boards have lost a few posters in recent years.

Why people seem so keen to post sarky pointless replys at times is beyond me,

• Like 1

I pray we don't suffer the dreaded drop into the Championship because as other clubs that have trodden that path have shown, its no certainty we'd get out at the first time of asking. Having said that, I honestly think the club really do need to be planning ahead (call it Plan B) for at least one season in the Championship and all that that entails, in terms of manager, players, budgets etc. Dare I say that it might give the club a chance to re-group and try to return refreshed. And, if I'm honest, I don't think we'd be getting relegated out of turn as we have flirted dangerously close in a number of past seasons.

In honesty I think there's already a Plan B there with the way the u20s are being developed.

In truth I've been to more u20s games this season than I have first team games and I'd have thought that a Championship level Motherwell would be playing the likes of Campbell, Hastie, Turnbull, Mackin, Semple et al in the first team rather than bringing up players from the National League and chucking fees at them.

His loan stint at QotS has shown that Dom Thomas is more than equipped to perform well at that level for example.

I'd agree that our u20s success will at least mean that we aren't tasked with signing a whole team for the championship if we end up there, and I think there's a decent amount of quality in there that we could challenge in the top half. I also agree that going down wouldn't be disastrous, but would still be a kick in the baws.

As said above, fighting to stay up, with occasional forays into the top 6 is pretty much our level, which is nothing new.

I believe a spell in the Championship is inevitable at some point. The extra cash on the table next season would be welcome, so I pray it’s not this season. Similar to Hibs, we can expect to spend at least two seasons in that league. However, if we do a St.Mirren it may take years to return to the top flight. Whoever takes over has a major task on their hands that’s for sure.

It's only lunchtime, so the whiskey will have to wait. but as shite as relegation would be we are in a position where the club's very existence isn't at stake, at least in the short term. We also aren't in a position where we are stuck with a bunch of expensive contracts, and still have saleable assets. So although it would hurt, I'm far more confident that we could bounce back than I was 2 years ago.

But, I think we'll stay up anyway.

For me I think Robinson should not be considered for the job, I don't dislike him but he has been part of the last two managerial teams which have been sacked so surely his input must have an influence on the results. Just look at his time at Oldham since he has left they have improved.

I just think the whole point of sacking McGhee is to bring a fresh approach and appointment of Robinson would be much of the same we have had this season.

I don't dislike the guy but we need a fresh approach.

• Like 1

For me I think Robinson should not be considered for the job, I don't dislike him but he has been part of the last two managerial teams which have been sacked so surely his input must have an influence on the results. Just look at his time at Oldham since he has left they have improved.

I just think the whole point of sacking McGhee is to bring a fresh approach and appointment of Robinson would be much of the same we have had this season.

I don't dislike the guy but we need a fresh approach.

Completely agree

However I have a feeling if we win on sat then it's his until the end of the season then if we stay up it's his for the foreseeable

I hope I'm wrong though

Completely agree

However I have a feeling if we win on sat then it's his until the end of the season then if we stay up it's his for the foreseeable

I hope I'm wrong though

Going by the statement they put out re: McGhee's departure along with the fact that they're (apparently) sorting thorough applications and "club sources" have indicated that they intend to name the new manager before the Aberdeen game then it suggests to me that Robinson's unlikely. Even more so since going by his press conference today he suggested he hadn't discussed with Flow or the board yet.

If it was going to be Robinson I'd have thought they'd just have said on Tuesday it'd be him until the end of the season. As it is it seems like they're actively looking to bring in a new guy.

I'm clearly speculating here but with the way this has panned out and the timeline being quoted I've a feeling we've had a decent idea who we wanted in before we emptied McGhee and again, if that was someone already at the club it's not really the time to be looking to invite further disruption.

Robinson also mentioned at the press conference today that he came back short term knowing there was some options he was aware of coming up in the summer, or something along those lines.

Yeah, I noticed that one too. It seemed quite relevant.

When it comes down to it given the circumstances and what's potentially at stake I'd be surprised if the club took the risk on Robinson if there are clearly *better* & more experienced candidates available & interested on a permanent basis.

Whoever gets the job, I would hope he would ditch the apparent defeatism in our attitude to top six teams. OK, Celtic are out on their own but other teams seem to have more fight and organisation: Accies beat Aberdeen, Ross County beat Hearts and no-one seems to regard Rangers as world-beaters. We seem to have surrendered before we even set foot on the pitch: grrrrrrrr!

The one thing Baraclough got right was his tactics in the play-offs.

In the short term, a brash, boot-up-the-arse-Yogi Hughes-type ("working-class-club-type-honesty-character") may be what is required.

I suspect the club already have identified their man.

Whether he wants it is something else, of course.

Whoever gets the job, I would hope he would ditch the apparent defeatism in our attitude to top six teams. OK, Celtic are out on their own but other teams seem to have more fight and organisation: Accies beat Aberdeen, Ross County beat Hearts and no-one seems to regard Rangers as world-beaters. We seem to have surrendered before we even set foot on the pitch: grrrrrrrr!

Agree in principle but it's probably worth pointing out for the sake of balance that we're still the last team to win at Parkhead in the league. We beat Aberdeen and Hearts at Fir Park last season and drew with both as well. If anything it's that knowledge that made the change of outlook this season as frustrating (along with the absolute scuddings and rivals taking points off those teams this season, obviously).

Agree in principle but it's probably worth pointing out for the sake of balance that we're still the last team to win at Parkhead in the league. We beat Aberdeen and Hearts at Fir Park last season and drew with both as well. If anything it's that knowledge that made the change of outlook this season as frustrating (along with the absolute scuddings and rivals taking points off those teams this season, obviously).

Fair point but I feel McGhee had no belief that we could beat The Ugly Sisters, etc.

I'm old enough to remember the time both we and the Jambos spent three years in the second tier in the 80s and those seasons were long and painful, and our longest time outwith the top flight since just after WW1.

Our manager's job is a tough one, given our deficiencies in defence and midfield, none of which have been addressed for a number of seasons now.

I still think we have enough to survive, if a new manager can change the fragile mindset.

I don't want to see us relegated, but I really enjoyed those 3 seasons in the lower league. Got to most of the home and away games, stood on the terraces at some old grounds no longer with us, and had the Accies rivalry at school.

Staying up is vital for us this year, though.

Again, I obviously don't want us to go down, but as somebody who hasn't seen us win a trophy,and might have to wait another 26 years for the next one, it might be nice to win a Championship title. Though I'm sure St Mirren/Falkirk/Dunfermline fans were saying that too.

I don't want to see us relegated, but I really enjoyed those 3 seasons in the lower league. Got to most of the home and away games, stood on the terraces at some old grounds no longer with us, and had the Accies rivalry at school.

Staying up is vital for us this year, though.

The season we won the championship under Davie Hay was fun, playing very attractive football and scoring goals as if it were going out of fashion. The other seasons were best forgotten. For what it is worth, I can see why some would enjoy the novelty of playing regularly against some different teams as the monotony that a small league brings with playing the "same old same old" is exhibited clearly in the Premiership. However, that novelty would soon wear off and the financial hit does not bare thinking about. Unlike the likes of Hibs, I cannot see our crowds increasing just because we are winning more regularly in a lower division.

I'm old enough to remember the time both we and the Jambos spent three years in the second tier in the 80s and those seasons were long and painful, and our longest time outwith the top flight since just after WW1.

Remember when we were already champions and we beat them on the last day at Tynecastle to keep them down? It was the well worth the ride home on the windowless bus afterwards.

• Like 1

Remember when we were already champions and we beat them on the last day at Tynecastle to keep them down? It was the well worth the ride home on the windowless bus afterwards.

Aye, that was fun too. I was only interested in seeing us score 1 goal, as that meant we beat the record number scored in the First Division. Once we got that I wasn't too bothered.

Wasn't it also the case that if Hearts drew, Killie needed to win by 5 or 6 to pip them to 2nd place on goal difference? And Killie were 5 or 6 up by half time.