Thanks Scott

CMWellfan

Safe to say securing him in 2015 has probably been one of the defining factors how we've avoided relegation repeatedly.

Not oblivious to the fact that if it wasn't him we may have secured someone else equally or better suited to the ongoing survival and growth of the club, but we can only go on what evidence we have and in this case its more positive than negative.

Great player for us. Became our highest scoring player in the Premier era this season. He's also one of the biggest transfer fees we've ever received.

Perhaps more importantly he counteracted the Malpas effect and almost single handedly kept us up that season.

Would be in my Motherwell XI along side Tommy Coyne and there aren't many other recent players in there, only him, McFadden and Randolph.

We will miss him big time next season.

We've had the joy of watching some fantastic Motherwell strikers over the years. In my time, only Tommy Coyne could exceed the quality McDonald offered.

Think he is still underrated by many but his Champions League exploits at Celtic emphasised just how good he was. Having said that, I think this is the right time for him to move on as injuries look to be taking their toll. I hope he gets a decent pay-day and/or a return to Australia to conclude his career.

For all his goals during both spells, his partnership with Erwin will be fondly remembered. Had Skippy not returned in Feb-15, the club would be in a very different predicament right now.

• Like 1

Been a great player for us over a number of years, I agree with earlier posts he is a significant reason why we are still a Premiership Club. Not just in 2015 but if we had lost him at the last transfer window which looked a distinct possibility I doubt we would have been safe.

• Like 1

Got him on the cheap Had a great few seasons. Sold him on for a tidy sum. Got him on the cheap again.

One of our best pieces of business ever. A guy who always gives 100% and a decent amount of talent to match.

Sorry to seem him go, but seems like the perfect time for him to move on.

• Like 1

He has been a great player for the club over the years, Skippy Sunday is up there with my all time top well games and I wish him well for wherever he ends up ( as long as that is not another SPL club). I think he will be hard to replace as we probably won't realise how good a player he was for us until he is no longer at the club.

McDonald has been an amazing player for us over two spells. I thought it was harsh that he didn't seem to get much attention on the lap of honour as presumed fairwells to Moult and Lasley took precedence.

Perhaps it's maybe the difference in perceived personality that does it- McDonald perhaps comes across as more selfish and moany than Moult or Lasley, who both seem like the supporters dream but I still thought he deserved more fanfare.

I think in some ways he'll be harder to replace than Moult, I think Moult really flourishes alongside him and has missed him on the odd occasion he's been out.

Most players we hold in high regard in recent years have been in teams from the right end of the table but McDonald will mainly be remembered for his exploits keeping us in the division. Particularly in the malpas season and when he was instrumental returning in the play off season.

Hope he goes outside of Scotland wherever he moves, as it's never nice to see a player you hold in high regard play against you. Can't be many other players who have hit double figures in five different seasons for us.

• Like 1

Got him on the cheap Had a great few seasons. Sold him on for a tidy sum. Got him on the cheap again.

One of our best pieces of business ever. A guy who always gives 100% and a decent amount of talent to match.

Sorry to seem him go, but seems like the perfect time for him to move on.

This is it for me, good luck Scott

He was probably my favourite player the first time around and if you add the Malpas season to the two recent relegation escapes mentioned already in this thread he's been a great servent to the club.