Scottish Premiership Game 11: Hibs (H) 28/10/17 15:00

Al B

It's kind of annoying having that air of defeat of hanging over you again after a game. Not experienced, nor missed it, much this season.

I think the first half was as poor a half we've turned in, in quite some time. That was everything I kind of expected might happen on Wednesday though rather than today where we just looked so off the pace. On the balance of play had Hibs been further ahead I doubt I could have argued much but by the same token it rankles that the goal we did lose was self-inflicted. We should not be losing goals from our throw in, in the opposition half!

Being just a goal behind did give us some hope though and the changes at half-time and early in the second did bring us much more into it. They did always look like they had a goal in themselves when they broke but at least we were at least competing even if it wasn't perhaps the prettiest or indeed that effective.

The task is to respond in the fashion we did after the Aberdeen loss at Fir Park and perhaps to also learn from that both as a team and coaching staff.

And it isn't just lovely to see the SFA officials so happy at their work. Beaming and smiling away as they selectively apply the laws of the game. Aww nice.....

• Like 1

If you change the team then have to change it again ten minutes later because you are getting horsed you can't have made the right substitutions. Using three subs by 55 minutes meant we couldn't bring on Fisher when both the strikers were having nightmares.

Do you know steelboy i actually thought to myself you had been quiet over the last few weeks when things were going well but I imagined you would be straight on your keyboard tonight and you haven't disappointed.

It all felt a bit flat today and it was a reality check as to where we actually are, which in the longer term may be no bsd thing. Hibs were pretty good, wily manager who knew how to counter our style, and although the changes made improved things in the second half I never really felt we would claw it back. Moult and Bowman way off the pace today, Moult normally links up play pretty well but couldn't pass water today, McHugh who was excellent at Dundee was poor today. Couldn't fault the effort but pass marks only to Hartley, Bigi, and Tanner for me. Bigi pass to Cadden for the one cleared off the line was our best moment in the match.

I imagine the management team will be glad to now have just 2 games in next 3 weeks, time to regroup. If you had offered me this weeks results I would have taken it so a bit flat myself but not 'worried' or ready to overly criticise

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thought first half we were pretty shocking. McHugh was playing like it was the first time he had ever seen a football. Bigi made the world of difference and we were far better 2nd half although with little to show for it. Pass marks to Cadden, Hartley, Tanner and Campbell - particularly for his 2nd half where he had Scottish superstar McGinn in his pocket. Too early to tell, but thought Petravicius showed flashes of what he can offer us. Lightning quick, quite tricky and his first instinct is to drive for the touch line. One the worst performances I've seen from Moult in claret & amber.

That all said, not too disheartened. Can put it down to a bad day at the office following a tough run of three games in six days where we got 2 wins out of three.

As for Madden, he is an utterly abysmal referee. The fact McGinn never got booked is inexplicable. That much persistent fouling that he should have had multiple yellows. Then there is the time wasting and kicking the ball away that he let go unpunished. Boyle got told off three times for it...fucking book him for at least the 2nd one and it eliminates that from the game. He basically encouraged and OK'd unsporting behaviour and Hibs played too it. Add to that some truly bizarre decisions, I honetly dread any game where he is the referee.

Over the course, best team won although our 2nd half was a vast improvement and we made it more of a game that I left disappointed not to take anything.

Onto Ross County amd hopefully back to ourselves with a week to regroup.

Pretty much spot on mate.

That's 1 point from 15 against the Top 6.

You've mentioned this a few times, and I do agree with the general point, sort of, in that Hibs probably had the edge over us in terms of technical ability and a wee bit of quality that was possibly the deciding factor in the result today. But I do think it's a tad disingenuous to ignore the Aberdeen and Rangers cup ties when talking about our results against the better teams. 1/15 is obviously a pretty disappointing stat on the face of it, but knocking out the country's 2nd and 3rd best teams with a 5-0 aggregate score* would allay some of my fears.

*6-3 if you include league games

• Like 1

You've mentioned this a few times, and I do agree with the general point, sort of, in that Hibs probably had the edge over us in terms of technical ability and a wee bit of quality that was possibly the deciding factor in the result today. But I do think it's a tad disingenuous to ignore the Aberdeen and Rangers cup ties when talking about our results against the better teams. 1/15 is obviously a pretty disappointing stat on the face of it, but knocking out the country's 2nd and 3rd best teams with a 5-0 aggregate score* would allay some of my fears.

*6-3 if you include league games

If we had taken 8 out of those 15 we would be first equal with Celtic. Which is probably unrealistic considering where we have been the last few years. Also note that a win against any team is still 3 points. Since rangers hibs and st Johnstone are right beside us then they must not be doing so well against the bottom teams. So doesn't really matter who you bet as long as you keep winning. Having said that I'm not sure if your point is that we are not as good as we think we are or if we want to be seriously challenging for Europe we need to improve a lot

Disappointed to lose today but not surprised.

3 games in 6 days was always going to be a big ask, even with squad rotation.

Like Andy P said, I expected Dundee to be the one we came a cropper due to the time between games, however, I suppose you cant ignore the step up inclass that Hibs clearly were today.

I thought Hibs were the better team in the first half with McGinn and McGeouch in particular running the show. However, despite their control of the game, they never created that many clear cut chances and the goal they did get was self inflicted. I know Cedric is a cult hero and he is still a very young inexperienced player, but his indecision under a high ball is a concern and cost us today.

2nd half was better. Not sure we got the subs right as I felt we looked very imbalanced at times, but we certainly caused them more problems and could/should have scored with Sid's chance.

Hibs looked more dangerous on the break than they had the whole of the first half and we couldnt have complained if they had scored on the counter.

Overall, disappointed, but not despondent.

A weeks rest/recovery will do the players good and we should be good to go again next weekend.

Very fine margins in this league. Hibs took their chance and we didn't.

Always noticeable that fans seem to default to blaming refereeing performances after a defeat, I agree Madden didn't have a good game today but he wasn't a patch on Finnie during the week at Dens Park and we won that one.

Three games in six days was always going to have an effect on the overall squad performance, Hibs had three games in seven days, playing Saturday, Tuesday & Saturday.

As I said, fine margins.

Didnt realise at the time just how bad the defending was for the goal or what a great chance it was for the new player whose name I dont know how to say yet was. He has to put it near post surely?

Was the goal we did score 100% offside? Im not sure.

Special word for Madden. Let constant kicking the ball away from Hibs continue and for whatever reason failed to book McGinn for about 3 stonewall yellow cards. His laughing at the East Stand shows exactly what hes all about.

Rangers released a statement for less!!!

Agree about Madden but club 100% correct to say nothing its all right us fans having a go on here about referring performances and Madden was howling but not reason we lost . Hibs were better all round as had longer break imo playing Sat & Tues while we were Sun & Wed . IMO was exact same as dons loss in that we had nothing left in tank and hopefully we will respond in same manner next week as won 4 games in a row after that loss.

Deserved win for Hibs who just had that little bit more quality. Bigger team with a far bigger budget and yesterday it just showed. Robinson has done an amazing job on a very limited budget and I thought we looked tired yesterday. But, its been an amazing start to the season and we move on.

• Like 1

I know Cedric is a cult hero and he is still a very young inexperienced player, but his indecision under a high ball is a concern and cost us today.

I think the wind played it's part in Cedric's misjudgement yesterday but I wouldn't say I've noticed any real indecision under a high ball - the guys wins 90% of what's chucked at him in the air.

I think the wind played it's part in Cedric's misjudgement yesterday but I wouldn't say I've noticed any real indecision under a high ball - the guys wins 90% of what's chucked at him in the air.

Big Kipre is great but that mistake has been coming for a few games now. Quite a few times he's been caught under the ball or turned. He'll learn from it though.

• Like 1

The very frustrating kind of game that we see maybe 4 times a season where nothing goes right and the opposition get all the breaks. After the week we've had we just ran out steam. Hibs deserved their win just although they were very annoying to say the least. Its not often we're outfought and outbattled but we were yesterday. In the first half they harassed and intimidated our midfield. Credit to them though they were good on the break. Thier approach to the match reflected Neil Lennon's attitude win at all cost. The dropped ball on the edge of our box is illustration of that. Petty and petulant behaviour from the likes of Boyle and McGinn. Constantly kicking the ball away for which they should have been punished. I'll bet Alan Campbell is black and blue this morning from the first half battering he suffered from a far bigger and heavier McGinn.

We did up things in the second half and Robbo did try to change things but they didn’t come off, although we did improve. It took some time before the other 10 players realised that Sid had come on but when they involve him he looked decent in flashes. Not his kind of game though. I thought that maybe Grimshaw’s energy and aggression would have been useful to combat and abrasive Hib’s engine room. Certainly the second half was an improvement although Hibs looked rarely troubled.

A special word about Bobby Madden. He had no major decisions to make apart from Dunne’s chalked off effort, which he got right. However from start to finish he made error after error and allowed Hibs players to get off with murder – kicking the ball away and foul throws. 4 foul throws in the game and one punished at random. He wasn’t the reason for our loss but he certainly didn’t help.

Still its been a good week overall and few could have been surprised by yesterday’s reverse.

He is great with cross balls but big up and unders over his head he seems to struggle with.

There were a number of occasions during the semi final where the same thing happened.

He is great in the tackle but not the quickest on the turn. Rangers identified that and tatgeted him. Its more about his positioning and timing than ability.

Like I said, its probably just down to inexperience. The only way for him to get better is playing games. Hartley alongside him will bring him on no end.

Special word for Madden. Let constant kicking the ball away from Hibs continue and for whatever reason failed to book McGinn for about 3 stonewall yellow cards. His laughing at the East Stand shows exactly what hes all about.

Madden didnt cause us to lose the game but he does suffer the same flaw as the majority of scottish refs in that if a player has a big reputation then the refs let them away with murder. Its always been the case - Naismith, Brown and yesterday McGinn. We can't really complain too much as we have benefited from this in recent years with the stuff Faddy and Skippy got away with. Moults been getting a pass from these guys too now as he is one of the leagues big boys.

As for Madden laughing. What was he meant to do? He's got half the East Stand singing at him with numerous grown men foaming at the mouth losing their shit and challenging him to a fight in the car park. I was pissing myself at some of the reactions. No wonder he did.

He's still a shite ref tho!

• Like 1

Agree that the wind may have been a contributing factor, but this was something of a weakness last week at Hampden as well (illness aside). He continually got caught 'under the ball', gifting possession cheaply on several occasions. Still a young player and I'm sure Robinson and Lasley will work hard at eradicating it.

I think one other thing to recognise about yesterdays game is how much the game at Easter Road influenced the way Hibs played. They learned from that. McGinn was in Campbells pocket that day, you could see from his performance that he was determined to ensure that wasnt going to happen again. Lennon also changed their formation to combat our strengths and target our weaknesses. Its a massive compliment that other teams and managers are having to do this, however, maybe we need to be a bit cuter in the way we approach games where we play the same team in quick succession.

My summary of the past week is against Rangers we rode our luck first half but fortunately we had Moult to produce the goods for us second half and turned out a good victory.

Dundee game the first 25 minutes was the best football we have produced all season, the remains 65 minutes we sunk into an average performance and were lucky to escape with a victory.

Hibs game I am sorry to say we started the game where we left off the Dundee game, ok we improved a bit in the second half, but without doubt the best team won.

Where I am puzzled is how suddenly our form has suddenly dipped, I am very confident that SR will turn it around and to be fair after 10 games to have 19 points and a cup final you would have easily taken before the season starts.

Madden didnt cause us to lose the game but he does suffer the same flaw as the majority of scottish refs in that if a player has a big reputation then the refs let them away with murder. Its always been the case - Naismith, Brown and yesterday McGinn. We can't really complain too much as we have benefited from this in recent years with the stuff Faddy and Skippy got away with. Moults been getting a pass from these guys too now as he is one of the leagues big boys.

As for Madden laughing. What was he meant to do? He's got half the East Stand singing at him with numerous grown men foaming at the mouth losing their shit and challenging him to a fight in the car park. I was pissing myself at some of the reactions. No wonder he did.

He's still a shite ref tho!

Fair enough. I look forward to him laughing at and goading the Copeland Road stand......
  • Like 1