Jump to content

Andy_P

2019'20 Game 8: St Mirren (H)

Recommended Posts

No wins against this lot at Fir Park since they came back up.  Saturday seems like as good a time as any to change that!

And before we get too much into the game a reminder of the club's Foodbank Collection on Saturday also.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very frustrating that there's another international break right after this game, especially if we win and pick up momentum.

 

Gonna say 2-0 to us, Cole and Scott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were terrible against them at home last season, surely we will see an improvement Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Very frustrating that there's another international break right after this game, especially if we win and pick up momentum.

 

Gonna say 2-0 to us, Cole and Scott.

I’d like to see Scott start getting some goals on a regular basis. He’s got great control and   Looks very confident on the ball if he can start adding some goals he’ll be a terrific player for us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Tougher game in store than I think many of us anticipate, they don't concede a lot of goals and  will sit in.

Who comes in for Donnelly? MacGuire probably.

Yes, it will be a far tougher game than many anticipate.  Saints will not be coming to Fir Park to entertain us they'll be coming for a draw and will sit in.  They have an excellent defensive record bettered only by the top 2.  Their big problem is at the other end where they're not scoring.  Hard to beat sums them up.  Its not looking like James Scott will be renewing acquaintances with Gary Mackenzie and he'll be very glad of that. 

Who'll replace Donnelly?  Maguire maybe but don't rule out O'Hara or Sloth.  I think physicality and height will be important here if we're expecting to lay siege to St Mirren's goal for a large part of the game. In that respect I'm glad we've got Declan Gallagher.   Hopefully we'll be able to win a large number of corners, to allow our set piece advantage to kick in.  

A close game in prospect and one for the purists I suspect.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Gallacher and Hartley we do carry a threat from set pieces, one that will be even more potent when Turnbull is back.

 

O'Hara is a good call for a replacement as well if hes up to speed now but that's a big maybe.

 

I had high hopes for Sloth but given his lack of action so far I'm thinking he's not as far along the recovery road as we had hoped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, it will be a far tougher game than many anticipate.  Saints will not be coming to Fir Park to entertain us they'll be coming for a draw and will sit in.  They have an excellent defensive record bettered only by the top 2.  Their big problem is at the other end where they're not scoring.  Hard to beat sums them up.  Its not looking like James Scott will be renewing acquaintances with Gary Mackenzie and he'll be very glad of that. 

Who'll replace Donnelly?  Maguire maybe but don't rule out O'Hara or Sloth.  I think physicality and height will be important here if we're expecting to lay siege to St Mirren's goal for a large part of the game. In that respect I'm glad we've got Declan Gallagher.   Hopefully we'll be able to win a large number of corners, to allow our set piece advantage to kick in.  

A close game in prospect and one for the purists I suspect.   

Probably the key is getting an early first goal. If we can do that then we may get a few more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has the feeling of a significant game for us. Win it and we could do something in the league this year. Lose, like Ross County game, and it looks like inconsistency will put thoughts of a top six finish to bed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The African said:

Has the feeling of a significant game for us. Win it and we could do something in the league this year. Lose, like Ross County game, and it looks like inconsistency will put thoughts of a top six finish to bed.

Thoughts of a top six to bed?  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nervy 3 - 1 win after we go 2 - 0 up in the first half, let St Mirren back in it around the 63rd minute for 2 - 1, then dig in until the 87th minute when Hylton and Long combine for the 3rd after Campbell robs Magennis to set them up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, weeyin said:

A nervy 3 - 1 win after we go 2 - 0 up in the first half, let St Mirren back in it around the 63rd minute for 2 - 1, then dig in until the 87th minute when Hylton and Long combine for the 3rd after Campbell robs Magennis to set them up.

 

Any chance of the Euro millions numbers for tonight Mystic Weeyin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully no red cards, penalties conceded or muggings please. Is that being unreasonable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm expecting a similar game to Ross County but hopefully we've learned some lessons from that. Goodwin's success at Alloa revolved around them being stuffy and hard to beat and it looks as though he's setting St. Mirren up in a similar way. I expect to see Tait at left back and probably O'Hara in midfield if he's considered fit enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we're going with Tait as expected but Barry Maguire is given his chance in midfield. He's done well any time so it will be interesting to see how he gets on with a league start in midfield. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said St Mirren have been pretty stuffy this season.

Only conceded more than 1 goal in 2 out of 7 league matches and one of them was late in injury time.

Rangers, who put 5 past Aberdeen and 6 past Hibs only managed 1 against St Mirren.

Might well be a tight and frustrating match today, maybe it's going to be down to one defensive mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steelboy said:

Has Maguire played midfield in the Premiership for us?

The Sloth mystery deepens. 

I think he has come off the bench and played the odd 10 minutes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite Robinson’s declaration that we need to be patient I think if we blitz them early and get a goal in the first 20 minutes we can beat a poor team by at least 2 goals. If not, a 1-0 will do me. COYW

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×