2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Marc McNulty signing for Utd. Good move for them. Wouldve loved to see us spend a little of the multi millions we have raked in recently on a proven goalscorer instead of the "fling shite at the wall and hope some sticks" approach of Robbo. 

Still, probably not much point in that considering how poor our "attacking" players are at creating chances for our strikers

• Like 1

So the amount we can command for Campbell is diminishing then. He leaves in January for a fraction of what he's worth or development fee come summer when he's out of contract. It's inevitable he won't wear the C&A beyond May but would I rather have wedge in the bank or him in the team? At present I think wedge in the bank even though he's been both our best performer and one of the few with any fight.

26 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

So the amount we can command for Campbell is diminishing then. He leaves in January for a fraction of what he's worth or development fee come summer when he's out of contract. It's inevitable he won't wear the C&A beyond May but would I rather have wedge in the bank or him in the team? At present I think wedge in the bank even though he's been both our best performer and one of the few with any fight.

He has been offered a new and presumably enhanced contract, so he may sign that, and the club would in the same position we were with Turnbull,  so it could be a win win for the club if he signs on again.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

He has been offered a new and presumably enhanced contract, so he may sign that, and the club would in the same position we were with Turnbull,  so it could be a win win for the club if he signs on again.

Not quite as simple as that - if he signs a new contract we lose our compensation safety net. If he signs a 1 yr extension and walks at the end of that then the club get nada.  That wasn’t close to being the case with turnbull

53 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Not quite as simple as that - if he signs a new contract we lose our compensation safety net. If he signs a 1 yr extension and walks at the end of that then the club get nada.  That wasn’t close to being the case with turnbull

Tough one. Although even if he signed a one year extension then you could argue his worth to us in the team is as much as the compensation would likely be. Certainly the case of he signed 2 year extension. 

Lets face facts - if he was that desirable to any club that could afford him they would have bid this window and not risk him signing for any number of clubs come January. No bid as far as I am aware materialised. 

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Safe to say the chances of him doing that are slim and bugger all. His agent will have made it clear he is 20x more marketable come next summer with no transfer fee attached (compo is different) so more wages for him. As I've said before he's seen players with less ability, consistency and impact leave for a massive boost in wages.

Jesus he plays alongside one of them on loan from Newco who's on probably 4x his wage who hasn't played since what .... August?

If I remember right, Campbell originally signed a contract to 2021 a good few years ago. He then signed on improved terms in 2019 but there was no extension to the term.

The plan would always have been to leave in 2021 at the latest and while the world is very different since he last signed, there is no reason to think the plan has changed. The new contract offer will simply ensure compensation. 

It’s always difficult, you can’t force players to sign new contracts and many supporters would actually rather see young players get more games in for the club rather than leaving earlier for a transfer fee. One of those that the club will always get stick for whatever they do. At least Hastie gets less of a mention these days.

13 minutes ago, postiejim said:

Our best young players being cherrypicked before we can get them under contract will eventually bite us on the arse.
Do we actually have any good youth players ready to break into the first team ? 

I don’t really see what more the club can do, it’s not like it only happens at Motherwell is it ?