Jump to content

SteelmaninOZ

Graham Alexander

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The football across the league is dire.  I watch every game in this league and believe me our games are no better or worse than anyone else's.

Alexander's job was to keep us up and do so working with Robinson's awful legacy - a terrible and uneven squad with few dependable members.

However while I think the standard of football in this country is, well, total rubbish, I do think it's a totally unfair comparison when comparing football watched in attendance and football watched on a computer screen in front of empty stadiums.

Let's be honest.  Pretty much the only good thing about Scottish football is the going-to-the-game, meeting mates, atmosphere, being in the stadium etc.  The standard of football stinks and has done for a long time.  We finished 3rd last season and we were verging on unwatchable.

There has to be MASSIVE change in Scottish football to make the football worthwhile - things much more fundamental right across the game than Motherwell bringing in a new manager.

As for Robinson - seemed like a nice guy but where did it get us? What's that got to do with anything? Alexander maybe doesn't come across as likeable a character but he's won twice as many games in less games this season with, basically, the same players.  

You'd be looking for improvements next season but I think criticising Alexander now, when he came in when he did, in the position we were in, is just ludicrous stuff.

All of this, but with respect to the quality of the league I don't see it changing in any meaningful way anytime soon. Or even what the path is to significantly changing things for the better.

There's not a lot of money in the league and there's silly money in England so every club is going to struggle to bring in or keep good players.

Is the solution to increase the size of the league so there's more scope to finish mid table and be more adventurous in how teams play and more chance to bring younger players in as the same pressure isn't there on every team? But any change to the number of old firm games will reduce the TV deal so there's even less money and even less chance to bring in or keep good players.

I think a big factor on people this season is not getting to the games so you don't get the social aspects but also the highs aren't as high. Goals don't elicit as much joy, refs decisions don't get you as angry, the relief of the final whistle when you're hanging on isn't one tinged with joy its just relief but the lows are still there in the same way, the nagging doubts about the future of the club long term, the frustration at the team selections or transfer policy are still there. The bad bits are just as bad but the good bits aren't as good.

 

Will we see a bounce in attendances when we're allowed back in or will it fall off as folk out of the habit of it? 

 

None of which will change either way if Graham Alexander (who's done everything asked of him so far) is in charge or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

All of this, but with respect to the quality of the league I don't see it changing in any meaningful way anytime soon. Or even what the path is to significantly changing things for the better.

There's not a lot of money in the league and there's silly money in England so every club is going to struggle to bring in or keep good players.

Is the solution to increase the size of the league so there's more scope to finish mid table and be more adventurous in how teams play and more chance to bring younger players in as the same pressure isn't there on every team? But any change to the number of old firm games will reduce the TV deal so there's even less money and even less chance to bring in or keep good players.

I think a big factor on people this season is not getting to the games so you don't get the social aspects but also the highs aren't as high. Goals don't elicit as much joy, refs decisions don't get you as angry, the relief of the final whistle when you're hanging on isn't one tinged with joy its just relief but the lows are still there in the same way, the nagging doubts about the future of the club long term, the frustration at the team selections or transfer policy are still there. The bad bits are just as bad but the good bits aren't as good.

 

Will we see a bounce in attendances when we're allowed back in or will it fall off as folk out of the habit of it? 

 

None of which will change either way if Graham Alexander (who's done everything asked of him so far) is in charge or not.

When Rangers were plying their trade in the lower leagues I think the whole country was happy without a bigot fest 4 times a season and the TV revenue did not tail off from what I remember. Everyone got used to it very quickly and I think everyone benefitted apart from the Old Firm. I don't buy into the reduced TV deal because of the Old Firm not playing 4 times a season and even if it was I think the whole country and its football would benefit in the long run. What did we do before TV hmmm....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

 

 

Will we see a bounce in attendances when we're allowed back in or will it fall off as folk out of the habit of it? 

If we could have PATG from August onwards then I think we would see a boost in crowds. However it looks like we will be limited to 25% of capacity for most of next season which will probably kill off the habit of going for a lot of people who don't have season tickets..

Empty stadiums is one thing, watching a game with a socially distanced 3000 crowd that you are personally prohibited from attending is a different prospect all together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steelboy said:

If we could have PATG from August onwards then I think we would see a boost in crowds. However it looks like we will be limited to 25% of capacity for most of next season which will probably kill off the habit of going for a lot of people who don't have season tickets..

Empty stadiums is one thing, watching a game with a socially distanced 3000 crowd that you are personally prohibited from attending is a different prospect all together. 

I really hope the crowds aren't restricted to that extent , if everyone is vaccinated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once everyone is vaccinated there’s really no excuse for us not attending the football normally as we did pre-COVID.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem might be that everyone won't be vaccinated. It looks like first jags are plateauing at around 50/60%. I know quite a few who aren't going to get it. t

I've no idea if that percentage is enough to allow the NHS function normally in the inevitable spike when restrictions ease off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, steelboy said:

If we could have PATG from August onwards then I think we would see a boost in crowds. However it looks like we will be limited to 25% of capacity for most of next season which will probably kill off the habit of going for a lot of people who don't have season tickets..

Empty stadiums is one thing, watching a game with a socially distanced 3000 crowd that you are personally prohibited from attending is a different prospect all together. 

I'd think that we will be above the 25% come august

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CoF said:

The problem might be that everyone won't be vaccinated. It looks like first jags are plateauing at around 50/60%. I know quite a few who aren't going to get it.

And there's yer problem right there, as you'll just never know who you are sitting next to.

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms here...my band just sacked our guitarist for coming out as full-on anti-vaxxer at the 11th hour after a year long lockdown where we've done fuck all, despite our drummer having COPD and being in the highly vulnerable category.

It's almost a "fuck you" not taking it to those who need the extra protection. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CoF said:

The problem might be that everyone won't be vaccinated. It looks like first jags are plateauing at around 50/60%. I know quite a few who aren't going to get it. t

I've no idea if that percentage is enough to allow the NHS function normally in the inevitable spike when restrictions ease off. 

Well the rest of society cannot wait until everyone gets vaccinated. 
If you have the option and decide not to get the vaccine then that is your risk to take. 
Initial evidence is very promising in terms of declining infections, hospitalisations and deaths as countries such as UK and Israel are starting to get over 50% with at least one vaccination. 

Even the Scot Gov has said they hope to be back to level 0 at some point in June. If that trend continues I would expect stadiums to have at least 25-30% come next season.  So it may be only season ticket holders and home fans only initially I suspect. So at an average of 4000 fans I suspect we would be OK. Means using the South stand possibly. Might even encourage some to buy a season ticket to ensure access.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well deserved. 100% win record and zero goals conceded for the whole month of April.*

 

 

 

 

*who gives a fuck if it was only 1-0 wins against St Mirren and Accies

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 11:05 AM, CoF said:

Well deserved. 100% win record and zero goals conceded for the whole month of April.*

 

 

 

 

*who gives a fuck if it was only 1-0 wins against St Mirren and Accies

On course for MOTM for May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From time to time here in Livingston I bump into Marvin Bartley ( and his Rottweiler ' Diego'!!!)

Asking him this morning about his time at Burnley when GA was there. Marv said that  despite him being 24 and GA  being 39 he ( nor anybody else) could beat him for sheer endurance.

Described GA as the model professional who was looked up to by everyone at Burnley. GA expects high standards from everyone and that slackers wouldn't be tolerated.

Marv also said GA was impeccable at penalties with goalies unable to read him due to having " no curve in his run up".

Marv was stunned btw that Lawless missed penalty against Hibs as his record at Livi was excellent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After tonight's result  think that's only 1 defeat in the last 11 games ( not counting the pen shootout) so for me GA has proved a good appointment so far.  The form table for the last 6 games has us 2nd behind Rangers, so not too shabby .

Scottish Premiership Form Table

Last Result: 12-May-2021 
Scottish Premiership Form (Last 6)
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Rangers 6 4 2 0 14 4 10 14
2 Motherwell 6 4 1 1 10 7 3 13
3 Hibernian 6 3 1 2 7 6 1 10
4 St Johnstone 6 3 1 2 4 6 -2 10
5 Celtic 6 2 3 1 13 6 7 9
6 Kilmarnock 6 2 2 2 14 11 3 8
7 Aberdeen 6 2 2 2 4 4 0 8
8 Dundee Utd 6 2 2 2 4 7 -3 8
9 Ross County 6 2 1 3 8 9 -1 7
10 St Mirren 6 1 2 3 8 11 -3 5
11 Hamilton 6 1 1 4 5 8 -3 4
12 Livingston 6 1 1 4 5 15 -10 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

After tonight's result  think that's only 1 defeat in the last 11 games ( not counting the pen shootout) so for me GA has proved a good appointment so far.  The form table for the last 6 games has us 2nd behind Rangers, so not too shabby .

Scottish Premiership Form Table

Last Result: 12-May-2021 
Scottish Premiership Form (Last 6)
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Rangers 6 4 2 0 14 4 10 14
2 Motherwell 6 4 1 1 10 7 3 13
3 Hibernian 6 3 1 2 7 6 1 10
4 St Johnstone 6 3 1 2 4 6 -2 10
5 Celtic 6 2 3 1 13 6 7 9
6 Kilmarnock 6 2 2 2 14 11 3 8
7 Aberdeen 6 2 2 2 4 4 0 8
8 Dundee Utd 6 2 2 2 4 7 -3 8
9 Ross County 6 2 1 3 8 9 -1 7
10 St Mirren 6 1 2 3 8 11 -3 5
11 Hamilton 6 1 1 4 5 8 -3 4
12 Livingston 6 1 1 4 5 15 -10 4

You cant argue with the points haul but the play has been generally mind numbing awful to watch. Can only hope he has a few deals up his sleeve to improve that side of things over the summer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been big GA fan and impressed with his record , looking forward to seeing his new signings but genuinely concerned if he tried to sign magloire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Been big GA fan and impressed with his record , looking forward to seeing his new signings but genuinely concerned if he tried to sign magloire.

I’d be amazed if that happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×