2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

41 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'd rather the club looked at all options...there may be a player there that could do us a turn

I agree. Last season Jordan Roberts was surplus to requirements at Hearts but did a short term job for us. Remember Utd turned down the chance to sign Scott McDonald. Assuming a player not playing for Dundee United isn't good enough assumes two things. That they're looking for the same thing from their players. And that their coaching staff are infallible...

51 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

His team rock bottom 10 points adrift 

Is there any way we could do a deal,loan or otherwise with the TW"fee"wages?with roberts goin back t hearts do we go back in for him or free up his loan wages,parker gone freeing up a minimal wage and talk of bevis going(hope not)looks to b a few quid in the coffers,just depends wot shankland is earning in belgium,could we get close to that,we know wot he can do in scottish football 103 goals in 158 games for ayr n utd 

As u said lets get the rumor started ; )

For me, Shankland hasn't proved himself at Premiership level yet. In his one and only season our top flight he scored 8 goals. There are a boat load of players that knock them in for fun in the lower leagues that never quite make it in the top flight - we've developed a few of them ourselves. Shankland might yet become a 20 a season striker at Premiership level, but he needs to start proving it soon and he hasn't been doing it in Belgium either.

Of course, we like to give players a chance to prove themselves, so it might be a good fit, but wouldn't be my first choice.

If TW does move on, in Jan, though, I'm quite happy for Shields to get his chance and see how that works out.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

For me, Shankland hasn't proved himself at Premiership level yet. In his one and only season our top flight he scored 8 goals. There are a boat load of players that knock them in for fun in the lower leagues that never quite make it in the top flight - we've developed a few of them ourselves. Shankland might yet become a 20 a season striker at Premiership level, but he needs to start proving it soon and he hasn't been doing it in Belgium either.

Of course, we like to give players a chance to prove themselves, so it might be a good fit, but wouldn't be my first choice.

If TW does move on, in Jan, though, I'm quite happy for Shields to get his chance and see how that works out.

Jordon White could have hit 8 goals at United that season so yes I’m afraid as it stands Shankland is a very good Championship level player. If Shields is given a run which he deserves he could well be what we need anyway.

19 hours ago, smiddy said:

the question is ,,,, 

if he stays , and we play him, do we trust him in the situation i was asking regards to the 50/50 ?????? personally i dont, nothing to do with him as a guy, only the mindset says , dont get injured,

Would you trust any of the following to go into a 50/50 with full commitment?

Ricki Lamie, Bevis Mugabi, Nathan McGinley, Darragh O'Connor, Liam Grimshaw, Mark O'Hara, Liam Donnelly, Barry Maguire, Robbie Crawford,  and Justin Amaluzor.

Because every single one of them is also out of contract at the end of the season, and in fact, unlike Watt who has a deal in place, these guys have nothing lined up. If they get injured they might not get resigned by us or find another club, so the risk to them is even greater.

Truth is, some players will react differently to others. We don't know how Watt has reacted in training since signing his deal. If his head is straight and he's still committed in the managers eyes then we play him until his contract expires or he leaves for a fee. 

There is real science to show what they called "Contract Year Syndrome" in the US is a measurable effect. That is when players perform at an artificially high level during the last year of their contract in order to get a better future deal. Then, in the first year of their new contract, they often have a post-contract performance crash.

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

There is real science to show what they called "Contract Year Syndrome" in the US is a measurable effect. That is when players perform at an artificially high level during the last year of their contract in order to get a better future deal. Then, in the first year of their new contract, they often have a post-contract performance crash.

Similar to John Spencer. 

19 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

An absolute waste of a wage for 6 months.   Mrs grizzly asked me if Parker had left and I replied 'Yes m"lady',  one fir the older readers 

Got an invisible coat for Christmas but I am going to return it.  I just can't see myself wearing it!!  ...fang you very much

1 hour ago, David said:

Would you trust any of the following to go into a 50/50 with full commitment?

Ricki Lamie, Bevis Mugabi, Nathan McGinley, Darragh O'Connor, Liam Grimshaw, Mark O'Hara, Liam Donnelly, Barry Maguire, Robbie Crawford,  and Justin Amaluzor.

Because every single one of them is also out of contract at the end of the season, and in fact, unlike Watt who has a deal in place, these guys have nothing lined up. If they get injured they might not get resigned by us or find another club, so the risk to them is even greater.

Truth is, some players will react differently to others. We don't know how Watt has reacted in training since signing his deal. If his head is straight and he's still committed in the managers eyes then we play him until his contract expires or he leaves for a fee. 

i take your point,    but i was not discussing anybody else except TW   we can argue here all day, but in my opinion   hes not  doing the tackle  and will be better for all if he basically fecks aff, 

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

i take your point,    but i was not discussing anybody else except TW   we can argue here all day, but in my opinion   hes not  doing the tackle  and will be better for all if he basically fecks aff, 

My point is that there's a lot of players in a similar position, and that we really don't know how those players, including Watt, will react. I'm confident the manager will do what's best for the team.

37 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Clark scored even less goals than Shankland last season.

If they want to give us a player, offering us someone they want to replace with TW is an insult.  Give us one of their promising youngsters instead.

Why would Motherwell agree to swap our top goalscorer for any random player Untd would be willing to get rid of, and therefore by definition shite, even cash plus a player is a nonsense, TW has agreed to go in the summer that should be the end of it.

Would still like to see him stay till the end of the season but one thing I'm sure of is MFC and GA will play hardball over any possible January deal.

If United think they're going to get him on the cheap I think they're in for a big shock.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Got an invisible coat for Christmas but I am going to return it.  I just can't see myself wearing it!!  ...fang you very much

I see you got yer crackers from Tesco as well this year. I got that joke in two of mine.

• Haha 1

Been following the topic for a while but not said anything until I had really gathered my thoughts on the subject. 

TW is off his head for several reasons. 

1. Why would you sign a contract with Utd before the transfer window is even open, would you not wait until close to the end to see what offers you can get?

2. Strange move altogether, Why sign a pre contact with Utd not knowing if Motherwell will let you go early when you are in line for a Scotland call up? Especially when there is a chance of a WC in the summer? He's not going to get picked for Scotland if he's not playing at club level and risking being sidelined for Motherwell seems odd. A Scotland call up or 2 could have added a few grand a week extra into his offers in the summer.

3. Why go to United anyway? They can't be offering that much more than us and there is no guarantee he's going going have the form for them that he's had with us. His stock could drop rapidly and with his previous record with other teams blowing more cold than hot, it's a big risk.

If it were upto me I would refuse all offers for him to go in Jan and stick him in the stand or out doing the public appearance duties. There is no way in hell he is going to put in a full effort to try get us Europe when the team he will be playing for next season is also in the hunt for it. Playing him is only going to cause unrest with the fans which can echo its way down the tunnel into the changing room. Get people on the park that are going to be here next year. Either bring in a new first pick striker or get CS upto speed. 

I said to my friend a while ago that cheering on Watt felt like something from the twilight zone. If you had told me that 3 or 4 years previous I would have laughed at you, but it happened, and honestly I have been both surprised and impressed by Watt in his time here. But that time is over and we should do everything we can to disrupt both a direct rival team and their player.

Edited by Graham
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Clark scored even less goals than Shankland last season.

If they want to give us a player, offering us someone they want to replace with TW is an insult.  Give us one of their promising youngsters instead.

I don't care. I'd still rather have Clark than Shankland. I don't want either but if I was forced to pick one, it wouldn't be the fraud that is Shankland...

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

I don't care. I'd still rather have Clark than Shankland. I don't want either but if I was forced to pick one, it wouldn't be the fraud that is Shankland...

We don't need Clark, though, so taking him would just be wasting a wage.

2 hours ago, David said:

My point is that there's a lot of players in a similar position, and that we really don't know how those players, including Watt, will react. I'm confident the manager will do what's best for the team.

well i hope we dont drag the situation out, give utd a one off  date for any dealings to be done by , then tell them fuck off till the summer comes , no pissin about waiting on us to blink on the last day, pay the money take him to feck, or skelfs on his erse as a bit part player till the summer, thats the last all say on this now till something is concluded 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic