2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

26 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Being linked with loan deal for  Liam Shaw from sellik,  think he is a left back 

I'm pretty sure he's a central midfielder grizzly,he's highly rated by all accounts.im not a big fan of loaning old firm players but we have a lot to play for in the second half of the season so another body in that might contribute won't be a bad thing.

• Like 1

Spoke to one of my friends who supports Celtic (I know no-ones perfect) He says Shaw would be great for us and he’s very highly thought of at Celtic Park. 
My only hope is he knows the way to goal 

Edited by 2plus8

8 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I know this is a fairly common view point, but why?

For me it's simply because we'd be assisiting the development of players from rival club.

Only exception I'd make would be if they were good enough to be first pick on the team sheet or we were in desperate need of cover.

Never even heard of this guy before so couldn't comment on wheter he's better than what we already have and don't think we are that short of cover in midfield? 

12 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

For me it's simply because we'd be assisiting the development of players from rival club.

Only exception I'd make would be if they were good enough to be first pick on the team sheet or we were in desperate need of cover.

Never even heard of this guy before so couldn't comment on wheter he's better than what we already have and don't think we are that short of cover in midfield? 

I kind of get that, but are celtic really a rival club, we will rarely be in direct competition with them, certainly not enough for me to worry about a boy coming in on lon for 6 months, and if his performances contribute to us finishing in the top 4 or 5, I don't think anyone would complain too much once he packs his bags and goes back to Celtic. From what I have heard he is quite highly rated by the celtic fans (and sheff wed before his departure) in his few appearances this season, showed up well in europe against Real betis as well.

He will almost certainly be an upgrade on a few of our current midfielders, meaning we could maybe look to move a couple on, we have O'hara out for the foreseeable as well. Could it be an opportunity for Cornelius to go and get regular game time in the championship? which would surely benefit both us and the player going forward. He has shown up well in his outings, not sure he would be seen as a starter though would he? 

someone also mentioned on pie & bovril, that he has played just about everywhere on the park, all across the back 4 and through the middle of the midfield (DM,CM & AM) so that versatility can't be a bad thing, especially going into the second half of the season with covid being so rife at the moment.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

We have 6 centre mids in the hunt for 3 spots. 

This would be a crazy signing.

So, we'll have Slattery, Goss, Donnelly, Cornelius, Tierney and Maguire. Is Grimshaw a midfielder? O'Hara is out for the long term. Crawford - will he leave?

Number of allowable subs might rise to 5. Injuries and suspensions? Would it allow us to move to a 4-4-2 line up?

On paper you might be right but midfield is mix of types and skills and I can only assume that GA sees a need  for another player in the engine room.

Liam Shaw can also play in central defence.

48 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

Well, there has to be a benefit to the loaning club otherwise what's the point in them doing it? It works both ways. They get a player out who can hopefully get some game time and develop a bit, while we get a player that the manager obviously rates and who we probably wouldn't be able to sign on a permanent deal.

It's a win/win really.

38 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We have 6 centre mids in the hunt for 3 spots. 

This would be a crazy signing.

Unless the manager thinks this lad is better than what we have, in which case it's a very sensible signing.

37 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I kind of get that, but are celtic really a rival club, we will rarely be in direct competition with them

He will almost certainly be an upgrade on a few of our current midfielders

They beat us in our last three cup final appearances so if you are serious about us ever lifting a trophy again then yes they are. 

An upgrade despite the fact you've never seen him play?

• Like 2

I agree with what your saying here.i think tierney will be introduced slowly and until donnelly can put together a solid run of games,there's always going to be doubts about his fitness.we are well stacked for midfielders as it is but it's still a bit of a problem area,for me after slattery and goss there's a place up for grabs in the team.crawford and grimshaw aren't good enough and if it wasn't for covid issues that could arise at anytime,i would be saying we should try and get rid of them this month.like I said a few posts back,I'm not a big fan of loaning old firm players but we find ourselves in a good position for the rest of the season and if alexander thinks shaw can help us push on then I'm on board with it.my only real concern would be if it was to come at the cost of cornelius getting more game time.

With the Edinburgh teams, Aberdeen and United ramping up financially by the looks of things, this might be our best chance to finish Top 4 for a few seasons. To those ends, I don't really have a problem with us bringing in some short term quality, regardless of the source.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

They beat us in our last three cup final appearances so if you are serious about us ever lifting a trophy again then yes they are. 

An upgrade despite the fact you've never seen him play?

whilst you are correct the chances of that being a real issue in the next 6 months are probably quite slim? if we meet celtic in the final of the scottish cup I will stand corrected.

Have I not seen play?  I watched the Betis game, he actually played well, didn't look out of place at all, against a very good european side, however i accept 65 minutes isn't much to form an opinion on a player (Despite the best efforts of some on this foum) I will also trust the judgement of the Sheff wed and Celtic fans who have seen him more often than me that rate him, that's enough to convince me that he is probably a better option than a couple of current midfielders.

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Goss, Slattery, Donnelly, Maguire, Cornelius, Tierney, O'Hara and Grimshaw.

We are covered. 

O'Hara is injured for the foreseeable future and Grimshaw isn't a midfielder despite our best efforts to make that work. Given Donnelly is made of chocolate, Goss and slattery enjoy racking up bookings and any potential covid issues, we could very quickly find ourselves short. Like I said, the versatility could be crucial going into the second half of the season.

16 minutes ago, Yassin said:

With the Edinburgh teams, Aberdeen and United ramping up financially by the looks of things, this might be our best chance to finish Top 4 for a few seasons. To those ends, I don't really have a problem with us bringing in some short term quality, regardless of the source.

United will be in financial trouble again at some point. I still think we can compete with anyone outside the old firm.

8 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

whilst you are correct the chances of that being a real issue in the next 6 months are probably quite slim? if we meet celtic in the final of the scottish cup I will stand corrected.

Have I not seen play?  I watched the Betis game, he actually played well, didn't look out of place at all, against a very good european side, however i accept 65 minutes isn't much to form an opinion on a player (Despite the best efforts of some on this foum) 

You could have said the same about ZFA, Page, Carswell and McHugh in Valencia. 

20 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think you've just agreed with me.

The only difference being you "don't give a flying fuck how ex players get on" - and I do hope the get on well because it means we have done our job and makes recruitment easier.

If players that move on consistently fail, then the bigger clubs will stop being interested and it will make it more difficult to point to successful examples when we recruit.

i dont think i did agree. You seem to think players being successful once they leave us is good for us or maybe I'm reading you wrong. If that is what you are saying I do disagree.  If players that move on from us to bigger contracts and  consistently fail that will have no bearing whatsoever on players signing for us. What a player does or does not achieve after they leave us is a reflection on them not Motherwell.

6 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

I know this is a fairly common view point, but why?

Developing players for Celtic gives me the dry boak at the best of times, nevermind when there is next to no financial reward. 

He will be unavailable to play against said club.

I often doubt the commitment of players that play in the same league.

Will he stunt the development of Cornelius?

I dont think it's fair on the player himself...look at the treatment of Gilmour at Norwich, the fall guy of the fans

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

what a waste of money that is for a club struggling in the SPFL.  They will be paying Griffiths a good wad too. They could probably have had 3 or 4 half decent players for the cost of those two.

They may have got a deal on The Thumb after the email stuff. 

• David locked this topic