2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

7 hours ago, Heisenboab said:

For me it's simply because we'd be assisiting the development of players from rival club.

Only exception I'd make would be if they were good enough to be first pick on the team sheet or we were in desperate need of cover.

Never even heard of this guy before so couldn't comment on wheter he's better than what we already have and don't think we are that short of cover in midfield? 

My view?

I only care about Motherwell's results.  If we loan in players who make our squad or first team better for the next 18 league matches I'm all for it.

I'd certainly rather bring in a loan deal than a guy who never plays cos he was an unfit free agent or who isn't up to the standard we play at.  We've had plenty of both of those come in at this window.

The only thing I find curious about it is that as far as I know Shaw is a kind of Nir Bitton type player and I don't think we need another centre back, we just gave Maguire a new deal and I don't see Goss or Slattery dropping out.

Could be that people will be moving on in the next few weeks.  

13 hours ago, davkel said:

Just talked with my mate who was at Sheffield Wed and went through the ranks with Liam Shaw ..he said ......

he can play anywhere , but thought he would be in midfield for you ..technically he is so good for his size ..a great player.

GA quoted on the BBC gossip page this morning saying Shaw could "slot right into the team" and then says he's not guaranteed a start. It seems a done deal but I'm not convinced we need him.

If Celtic are giving him to us very cheap then it probably makes sense to take him. I can't think why they would do that though.....

Slattery, Donnelly, Cornelius and Maguire all need games for various reasons and sticking a loanee who won't be here next season in the team ahead of them might hurt us long term. The guy should join the back of the queue. 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If Celtic are giving him to us very cheap then it probably makes sense to take him. I can't think why they would do that though.....

Slattery, Donnelly, Cornelius and Maguire all need games for various reasons and sticking a loanee who won't be here next season in the team ahead of them might hurt us long term. The guy should join the back of the queue. 

I presume Celtic want to loan the guy out to get him more games than he otherwise would, with a view to seeing if he has a long-term future with them... and / or to put him in the shop window to off-load him more favourably in the summer. And I assume the fee / portion of his wages we're paying will be in line with our normal wage structure. 

If he's better than what we've got (and / or gives us cover for injuries or Covid)... which helps us get Top 6 / Europe / further in the Cup... which then helps financially towards the long-term (even if he leaves in the summer)... then I'm happy for him to be at the front of the queue.  The other possible benefit is that it may mean (say) Crawford could go out on loan (with someone else paying some of his wages) as we don't then need him to be around for cover.   

Assuming the guy's decent - and people who know more about these things than me suggest he is - I'd say it's a good move. 

17 hours ago, davkel said:

technically he is so good for his size ..a great player.

I've posted about this issue before Davkel. I'm not sure what size has to do with it. There's a common misconception that big guys are lumbering, carthorse like, hammer throwers. Some are of course but many are not. Size and skill/speed are not mutually exclusive. Usain Bolt, for example, is 6-4 and a little faster than average. Christiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona are both 6-2 and have/had a fair measure of skill.  Nearer to home Michael Higdon and Andy Ritchie were big guys but not short of skill.

Shaw signed a pre contract in March 2021……..when Kennedy (?) was in charge……so possibly Lennon had a say

He has started one game in midfield in Europe against Betis and was subbed 65 mins 9th Dec,then the last 10 minutes against St Midden 22nd Dec,and an un used sub the games in between (plus 2 league cup games for B team in Aug) 

Their new manager has just brought in 2 Jap midfielders, and has given some youngsters a run in the first team/ let Henderson to Hibs…..hopefully he doesn’t fancy Shaw

GA seems to think he is a good signing……time will tell

We certainly have a number of midfielders but I would not say the overall quality is that high at the moment. If he’s better than what we have I don’t see the problem and would rather that than see Crawford given a game if Covid or injuries and suspension hit. Let’s be honest at the moment it’s Goss and Slattery and then it’s down to Donnelly staying fit. The others still need time to develop or are struggling at the level.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I've posted about this issue before Davkel. I'm not sure what size has to do with it. There's a common misconception that big guys are lumbering, carthorse like, hammer throwers. Some are of course but many are not. Size and skill/speed are not mutually exclusive. Usain Bolt, for example, is 6-4 and a little faster than average. Christiano Ronaldo and Eric Cantona are both 6-2 and have/had a fair measure of skill.  Nearer to home Michael Higdon and Andy Ritchie were big guys but not short of skill.

If he is half as good as that big carthorse Rogic , he will do for me !!!!!

I asked my mate about his quote , because I didn’t know if Shaw was a wee guy or a big guy ...but he said he was ....a big guy , physical , but has got a lot of quality as well..

• Like 1

• David locked this topic