389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of utter torn faced c***s on this forum, I support Motherwell Football Club not individual players, managers, owners.

He has had the chance to do the square root of fuck all yet and some of the dicks on here want the guy out. If he is brave enought to pick up the batton of managing MFC then welcome aboard Stuart maybe he is doing us more of a favour that we are doing him. At lot of the arseholes on here have an elevated opinion of MFC and what is has to offer.

He, the current players, the players yet to come have my full support.

FFS get a grip.

Finally........some sense :notworthy:

Not my choice by any stretch of the imagination but he'll have my support. Ticks a few boxes but his less than impressive track record lets him down as a few have said. Some reaction on here has been OTT but its not an ideal situation for any new manager to be in with a split support. He's got a job on his hands to win many fans over. A good win on Saturday would be a start to winning over hearts and minds. Still JB has a good recent record for selecting managers.

I have faith in Boyle and I am sure he has done the best he could under the circumstances. I never liked the Brown appointment but it turned out better than I thought it would (apart from the obvious) so I'll back McCall 100%.

good luck to mccall and we need to wait and see what he can do but..

we've went for a guy who failed badly at bradford in his only job when we could have had jimmy calderwood who has 8 consecutive top six finishes on his resume plus a scottish cup final and uefa cup last 32.

i get the feeling JB might have been more interested in enhancing his reputation for looking outside the usual suspects rather than the best candidate possible.

Surely it will have been a mix of those who applied / those who were approached.

McCall needs our support.

However those who raise questions over the approach of being deliberately leftfield vs choosing the tried tested shouldn't be discounted.

Would Calderwood have been a better appointment than McCall?

That's a good and valid question

As has been said countless times on this thread, Calderwood hardly achieved what he has done on a shoestring.

Also, did he apply?

Been asking that myself. Don't think i ever heard his name mentioned apart from being a potential candidate for the job.

it was being discussed on radio scotland the other week and a couple of them said that they understood that he would take it.

i wouldn't say he was throwing money about willy nilly at aberdeen either. looking at their team that finished 3rd who are the big signings? jamie smith, barry nicholson, stevie lovell? consider how much hearts and even hibs spent that season.

we've went for a guy who failed badly at bradford in his only job when we could have had jimmy calderwood who has 8 consecutive top six finishes on his resume plus a scottish cup final and uefa cup last 32.
@ SteveDiggle. I think this answers your question in a way.

Im suare all 'well fans will give McCall their support, regardless whether the first choice gaffer or not.

Don't think we need to worry because in imo he's not gonna be there long. If we are going down he'll jump ship like he done at Bradford and if we are doing well then he will piss off to the first English club that comes sniffing. Like Butcher/MgGhee/Judas he will have no loyalty to Motherwell. The more pressing matter is whether he as the influence/ability to retain Blackman after January. If he pulls that off then his stock will rise with the Well fans.

Don't think we need to worry because in imo he's not gonna be there long. If we are going down he'll jump ship like he done at Bradford and if we are doing well then he will piss off to the first English club that comes sniffing. Like Butcher/MgGhee/Judas he will have no loyalty to Motherwell. The more pressing matter is whether he as the influence/ability to retain Blackman after January. If he pulls that off then his stock will rise with the Well fans.

Not so sure that's such a pressing issue now Ian, as a lot are feeling that Nick's very much off the boil.

The hope that Blackman and Gow can deliver vs their current wage demands is a significant question for McCall

Just had a look back at the thread when Craig and Archie were appointed, quite a lot of the same sort of stuff being said.

Football history is littered with examples of managers who did well at one club, moved to another and failed miserably (Hodgson - Liverpool, Butcher - Australia/Brentford) and also vice versa (Billy Davies - Motherwell). Very few managers seem to have the Midas touch wherever they go (Mourinho, Hiddink mostly) and many can have a few good seasons before a lull sets in (Moyes - Everton, McLeish with Birmingham this season) or a few crappy seasons before it all turns good (Ferguson - Man Utd).

Who is to say we'll won't get McCall on the up after his dip, like when we got it from McGhee in his first season. What the Well support have to grasp is our financial position and stature means we will always have to take a punt rather than going for a prior tested and approved product. Whither that punt is a youth player (McHugh), Manager (McCall), unknown from an obscure league/team (Humphrey) or Journeyman (Gow). Some will work out, some won't.

I am for one impressed with his conduct and integrity when he left Bradford. Best of luck to him and I really hope we can get back to the stuff that had me looking forward to going to FP only a few months ago.

@ SteveDiggle. I think this answers your question in a way.

Im suare all 'well fans will give McCall their support, regardless whether the first choice gaffer or not.

It does not matter if he was 1st choice or 10th choice, he is prepared to take the job and give it a go, so all the well fans should get right behind him to try to get the season back on track.

Given the run Hearts are on i think that they have all but secured 3rd place, but we can still finish 4th, and another European adventure. If McCall can achieve that then he will have done well.

Onwards and upwards, bring on the Accies.

It does not matter if he was 1st choice or 10th choice, he is prepared to take the job and give it a go, so all the well fans should get right behind him to try to get the season back on track.

Given the run Hearts are on i think that they have all but secured 3rd place, but we can still finish 4th, and another European adventure. If McCall can achieve that then he will have done well.

Onwards and upwards, bring on the Accies.

4th only makes Europe this year is it's a Scottish Cup final between the top three sides in the league! Only top 3 are auto for Europe! Think you are right about the Jambos, looking strong at the moment!

4th only makes Europe this year is it's a Scottish Cup final between the top three sides in the league! Only top 3 are auto for Europe! Think you are right about the Jambos, looking strong at the moment!

I thought there was 1 Champions league place, and 3 Europa league places this year, (2 for league position and 1 for cup winners) ?