Inverness Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

gdalli10

What is worrying isn't the defeats themselves ,Motherwell don't have any right to be beating Inverness or StMirren ,but its the manner of them. 90 mins and hardly a decent attempt on goal seems to becoming the rule rather than the exception in a lot of our games. A lots been made about our striking problems but the problem isn't so much missing chances its surly down to our inability to create goalscoring opportunities. The games in which we have played well recently Killie ,Aberdeen and Celtic were open games these teams didn't get everyone behind the ball and hit on the break they played football and in doing so allowed us to play. But with Hamilton ,St Mirren and to a certain extent Inverness yesterday it was more of a cautious approach getting men behind the ball stopping us playing and were clueless in that type of scenario ,totally devoid of ideas or a plan B.

Good point Jim. Our strikers were given very little room and were well policed sometimes by as many as 3 men apiece yesterday. By comparison we afforded Inverness acres of space when they wanted it. Something else I noticed as far back as the New year derby - we seem incapable of playing one touch football. Very often when we are breaking the strikers or wingers are clear of their markers and the central midfielder/defender with the ball needs to get the ball out to them quickly to catch our opponents off guard. Instead they dally on the ball, as they did yesterday and only release it when the striker/winger is marked by 2/3 men. This one reason why we aren't creating chances.

Good point Jim. Our strikers were given very little room and were well policed sometimes by as many as 3 men apiece yesterday. By comparison we afforded Inverness acres of space when they wanted it. Something else I noticed as far back as the New year derby - we seem incapable of playing one touch football. Very often when we are breaking the strikers or wingers are clear of their markers and the central midfielder/defender with the ball needs to get the ball out to them quickly to catch our opponents off guard. Instead they dally on the ball, as they did yesterday and only release it when the striker/winger is marked by 2/3 men. This one reason why we aren't creating chances.

Pretty much agree with this and made the point in the first half - Jeffers, Sutton & Murphy made good space for themselves on a good few occassions, as I saw it, but the pass wasnt made as we seemed intent on going accross the middle of the park or backwards to restart - almost as if we wanted ICT to present us with the perfect opportunity.

I would argue that the issue hasn't only been recent, but has been festering away for months on end - we can play reasonably good football at times, but very often I come away with the feeling that the opposition goalie has had just too easy an afternoon\night.

However, yesterday's past, and hopefully we'll see a return to form for next Sunday

MON RA DOSSERS

First of all WOW like the new Steelmenonline. :thumbup: . Just back from a cracking couple of days in Inverness that consisted of lots of bevy. :laugh: . Could i just say that if Motherwell fc aren't going to give a feck in a game could you please let us fans know cos frankly paying over £40 to watch that crap is really breaching the trades description act I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! We stolled through that game like a kickabout in a sunday afternoon all that was missing was the cans of beer on the touchline!!! 3-0 by a team that we beat regularly is frankly feckin deplorable. If the likes of Hately-Jeffers and Forbes aren't interested in trying then FECK OFF!!! :cheers:

• Like 2

First of all WOW like the new Steelmenonline. :thumbup: . Just back from a cracking couple of days in Inverness that consisted of lots of bevy. :laugh: . Could i just say that if Motherwell fc aren't going to give a feck in a game could you please let us fans know cos frankly paying over £40 to watch that crap is really breaching the trades description act I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! We stolled through that game like a kickabout in a sunday afternoon all that was missing was the cans of beer on the touchline!!! 3-0 by a team that we beat regularly is frankly feckin deplorable. If the likes of Hately-Jeffers and Forbes aren't interested in trying then FECK OFF!!! :cheers:

Frankly that says it all +1

Wasn't that surprised we lost yesterday, cant win up there all the time so it had to happen sometime. Pissed off with the display tho, that could have ended up 5-0.

Had a good day out anyway, roll on next week.

:thumbup:

All bow for the real fans ! :cheers:

No like us part time gloryhunters that go on a bender when we hump the bog dwellers :laugh:

Wasn`t there today either, opted for the Newcastle-Everton game, mightily glad a did!

Wow, thats very worrying. I hope someone from the club reads this. As if competing with the OF wasn't bad enough.

paying over £40 to watch that crap is really breaching the trades description act I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!! We stolled through that game like a kickabout in a sunday afternoon all that was missing was the cans of beer on the touchline!!!

Think that last quote justifys ma game selection yest Kmc.

The only surprise about yesterday's result is that anyone is surprised at it. Having supported them for more years than I can remember now I know that everytime we get into a good position to achieve something we reach for the self-destruct button.

At present we have far too many small and lightweight players in the side who are simply not robust and pyhsically strong enough to play in the SPL. So when they come up against the likes of Hamilton, St Mirren, ICT etc. they struggl and are too easily knocked around.

McCall needs to take a leaf out of Colin Calderwood's book at Hibs. He had a terrible run of results when he arrived at Hibs but then he realised he had too many weaklings that couldn't physically match many of their opponents. Since then he's brought in a number of bigger physical players (admittedly they can also play a bit) who are not so easily knocked about and lo and behold 5 wins and a draw.

On the first point, Craigan, Lasley, Hammell, Jennings, Jeffers, Sutton are all players with years of experience between them and that is more than half the team. On the second, It is the managers job to motivate the team. It is probably the managers main, most important job. If the manager does not have responsibility for motivating the team what does he do? Craig Brown had a successful first half to the season with the same bunch of players minus Gow, who most thought was rubbish, Reynolds and Blackman.

On your first point, you name 6 players. Great. So that means on a good day almost half our team is very young and inexperienced. On a good day. Now how often in the second half of the season have we been able to put out those players that you've mentioned in the same team? All of them have either had injuries or suspensions or fitness problems except Sutton. So on a good day half the team are youngsters but more often than not more than half have been.

I already answered your second point, it should be down to the players to motivate themselves for matches. A manager can't do it week after week after week. He can only do it sparingly other wise it just becomes ineffective and routine. It goes in one ear and out the other.

At present we have far too many small and lightweight players in the side who are simply not robust and pyhsically strong enough to play in the SPL. So when they come up against the likes of Hamilton, St Mirren, ICT etc. they struggl and are too easily knocked around.

McCall needs to take a leaf out of Colin Calderwood's book at Hibs. He had a terrible run of results when he arrived at Hibs but then he realised he had too many weaklings that couldn't physically match many of their opponents. Since then he's brought in a number of bigger physical players (admittedly they can also play a bit) who are not so easily knocked about and lo and behold 5 wins and a draw.

I've been saying exactly that for some years now grew and been castigated for it. Unless we can compete in the unglamorous "hand to hand combat" aspects of the game we will struggle. Now before anyone has another go at me, I don't mean we should field a team of hammer throwing thugs. Look at Faddy. Good though he was when he left us he was very lightweight. When he re-appeared at Fir Park in Everton colours I was shocked at how much beef he'd put on and how much tougher he'd become in a short space of time. Morgano Gomis and Russell Latapy - neither of them hammer throwers but both solid muscle and physically powerful. I'd back Gomis any day in a 50/50 challenge with Stephen Craigan although he's a good deal shorter in height.

Jamie Murphy is very talented but lightweight and easily bumped off a ball. He needs several months with the Everton back room staff to build him up. I've always said the same of Keith Lasley - a very game bantamweight but he can't compete witht the bigger and more powerful middleweights and light heavyweights he comes across in SPL midfield scraps.

In many of the recent games against sides like ICT, Accies and St Mirren they've simply bullied us. Unless we can win 50/50 challenges more often and learn to hold off opponents, when on the ball we'll struggle.

I've been saying exactly that for some years now grew and been castigated for it.

Often by me :(

First of all, our most recently successful teams have been full of skill players. Of course you need one or two ball winners, but there seems to be an attitude in Scottish football that fit and hard is more important than being able to pass a ball or beat a man.

More importantly for me, I know we aren't likely to win the league in my lifetime. So watching the games is with a view to being entertained. If I had to watch a style of play like St. Mirren or the current Accies team every week, I would give up. When I want to see players running hard and knocking lumps out of each other I switch on the rugby.

First of all, our most recently successful teams have been full of skill players. Of course you need one or two ball winners, but there seems to be an attitude in Scottish football that fit and hard is more important than being able to pass a ball or beat a man.

More importantly for me, I know we aren't likely to win the league in my lifetime. So watching the games is with a view to being entertained. If I had to watch a style of play like St. Mirren or the current Accies team every week, I would give up. When I want to see players running hard and knocking lumps out of each other I switch on the rugby.

+1

Jeez oh!

highlights not exactly flattering

Hammell Huthinson and Gunning look like they got roasted

lack of preparation?, Hammell let left footed Sutherland go onto his good foot

Gunning tried to hold the line too high and stayed static allowing runners through a couple of times and big Hutch looked worng sided a few times trying to recover

not pretty

oh and nae luck humph

BBC highlights and radio commentary are my sole reference here, Hammell all over the shop for the first. Ross Forbes has to work on his headers. Highlights show Hutchison had a couple of clear errors that put the remainder of the defence under real pressure. If Humphrey hit the ball anywhere else other than directly at the defender then it would've been a goal. Woeful defending for the third, from the shy until McDonald put it into the back of the net.

Learn from it, draw a line in the sand and move on.

The only surprise about yesterday's result is that anyone is surprised at it. Having supported them for more years than I can remember now I know that everytime we get into a good position to achieve something we reach for the self-destruct button.

I agree with this. If you look at the top teams in the EPL and SPL the players look bigger and stronger. Rooney at Man Utd. as an example is no lightweight.

There is this fallacy in some footballing circles that big guys can't be skillful and that physical hardness = thuggery. Not so. Players like Thierre Henry, Zidane, Edgar Davids, Van Nistelroy, Eric Cantona, Ronaldinho, Pele, are/were all very talented players but all very powerful and as hard as nails. Thats the physical toughness I'm referring to. No-one and I mean no one pushed around Cantona or Van Nistelroy. Both were well over 6 foot, built like bears and capable of dishing it out to anyone stupid enough to get in their way. Neither was criticised for being a hammer thrower though. The great Brazilian team of the 70s was as hard as nails and took no nonsense from any side but again no-one referred to them as thugs.

I see nothing wrong in Jamie Murphy putting on a bit of weight and muscle so that he can withstand a 13 stone midfielder battering in to him. There's nothing dirty in being big enough and hard enough to win a 50/50 challenge cleanly. Whats wrong with having a striker powerful enough to withstand a Gary Kenneth or Ross Tokely trying to wrestle him to the ground.

All the successful teams such as Chelsea or Manchester United, are physically powerful and hard and, if they put their mind to it, well capable of kicking ten bells out of teams like us. I don't like cloggers but I do like our guys to be powerful enough to shrug off challenges and retain the ball. Thats where we fall down as a team. Its great to have skillful ball players but who wants to see them lose the ball cheaply to the first challenge that goes in?

lack of preparation?, Hammell let left footed Sutherland go onto his good foot

McCall probably forgot to put him to 'show onto weaker foot' in the pre-match menus.

The key factor is that both of those teams you mention are usually involved in a relegation battle, so they don't really have the option of trying to play good football. Survival is their number one priority, and rightfully so.

Motherwell on the other hand are usually in the middle to upper regions of the table, so we certainly can afford to play some decent stuff.

The key factor is that both of those teams you mention are usually involved in a relegation battle, so they don't really have the option of trying to play good football. Survival is their number one priority, and rightfully so.

Motherwell on the other hand are usually in the middle to upper regions of the table, so we certainly can afford to play some decent stuff.

Spot on David. If we started playing the game like those struggling to stay up the majority on here would be complaining about the decline in ability and standard of football we are paying to see.

Keep trying to play a passing game for me and don't forget a good wee yin will always beat a good big yin.

Which, of course, is the biggest argument against 10-team SPL. More teams scared of relegation = more survivialist football.

Which, of course, is the biggest argument against 10-team SPL. More teams scared of relegation = more survivialist football.

Which is why I'll always be against a 10 team SPL.

From what I heard & read Jeffers was pretty much annonymous against Inverness. I hope this isn't him returning to form <_>